New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default bag of gentle repose

can you change the description of all ready created magic items to change the material or add enchantments. Like adding gentle repose to a Bag of holding or adding haste to banded mail of luck (dmg p220)??????????

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: bag of gentle repose

As far as I know, you can't change the material of an already existant item of any kind.

I was under the impression that Bags of Holding already perfom a de facto gentle repose effect for any object put into them. (Living creatures would run of air, but otherwise anything that's put into one comes out in the exact condition it was put in.)

I Don't know the rules for adding non-flatrate abilities to specific magic items. I'd like to know this as well, especially if a source can be cited.
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Nope bags of holding don't preserve what's in them. Using the magic item creation guidelines a bag of gentle repose would be 3 x 2 x 2000 / 2 x 2 = 12,000 gp. Adding it to a bag of holding would be the same price IMO b/c they're somewhat related. If we treat them as unrelated you increase by 50%.

But given that an unguent of timelessness is only 150 gp, has 8 doses and lasts for years I think the above isn't really fair. Probably something more like 1,000 gp would be fair, 2,000 gp tops .
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2011-02-05 at 01:33 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

You can also (if a psion is available) fill your bag with Quintessence and toss the body in; the sludge will stop the passage of time for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

so it's only possible if I make the Item?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

You could likely commission it if you found someone with the requisite feats and spells.

If you're in the regular D&D setting, a church of Wee Jas might be willing to sell you something like that--they are LN (you don't want to be dealing with Vecna cultists) but deal with both death and magic regularly. Preserving bodies, creating magic items, and conducting funerals is right up their alley.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Callista View Post
    (you don't want to be dealing with Vecna cultists)
    Why NOT? I mean, sure, "absolute power corrupts absolutely," but you still have absolute power.
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Tell me that when you've been beheaded and turned into a zombie for your trouble...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Seth62 View Post
    can you change the description of all ready created magic items to change the material or add enchantments. Like adding gentle repose to a Bag of holding or adding haste to banded mail of luck (dmg p220)??????????
    You can add enchantments to existing magical items, provided you have the power to add the enchantments in the first place, under the "nothing really forbids it" rule.

Personally, however, if I were making a "bag of gentle repose", I'd make it a cloak slot item for the corpse, to cut down on cost. ;-)
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Personally, however, if I were making a "bag of gentle repose", I'd make it a cloak slot item for the corpse, to cut down on cost. ;-)
    Well, I think the idea is not just to preserve the body for expedited raising, but to make it (and its equipment) easier to carry as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Well, I think the idea is not just to preserve the body for expedited raising, but to make it (and its equipment) easier to carry as well.
    Certainly, but my making it a cloak-slot item (with two effects... the Gentle Repose and the Bag of Holding), you get around the slotless item cost multiplier. ;-)
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Except that a dead body is an object and can't use magic items.

What's wrong with one of those holy symbols you can store a corpse in?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    Nope bags of holding don't preserve what's in them.
    You can establish that this is true due to what happens when a creature inside runs out of air. Bing, they come out in a different condition from when they went in.

My party discovered this unfortunate fact after rescuing a litter of kobold babies, then forgetting about them until they emptied the sack a month later.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

the poor baby's!!!.

Thanks all I am just going to a wizard and ask her to make it as a custom order, or the church of Wee Jas. The main reason 4 this bag is to store and then later animate dead party members when we have money for a true resurrection. That or just have random corpses for animate dead and create undead.

I also want to know if u can remove an enchantment, because I have +2 half plate with spear block (+2) but I do not want the spear block any more can I trade it for different +2 enchantment or just remove it all together?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait a moment!

The enchantment you are looking for is one an item called Angriz's Chest, from races of the dragon. it won't give you a pocket dimension to play with, but IIRC nothing rots inside it. If you have a big strong guy, just get them to carry the chest around, maybe drop it during combat
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.