New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGirl

Default Looking for a Specific Spell

I'm looking for a very specific type of spell -- confusingly, throughout all my books, I've not been able to find anything worth casting like this...

Are there any spells that cause negative energy damage in an area (preferably an actual area, like a burst, rather than just multiple creatures)? I found the 3rd level spell Negative Energy Burst in Tome and Blood, but it only deals 1d8 +10 maximum, which is pretty puny past lower levels.
    Last edited by Yorae; 2011-02-05 at 10:16 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Looking for a Specific Spell

Isnt there a feat that lets you do that? Would energy substitution work, maybe?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Negative Energy is not an energy type in the sense that Cold or Fire are.

However, the metamagic feat Lord of the Uttercold allows you to make half of a spells damage Negative Energy if the spell deals Cold damage. It has no modification to the spell level too. It requires Energy Substitution (Cold) to take it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4

ClericGirl

Lord of the Uttercold is a pretty good, but is there any way to do this without spending feats?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Junglerazer (SC) - Druid 3, Src/Wiz 3, 1d10 damage/level (10d10 max) in a 120 ft line. Only affects fey, vermin & plants, though.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Doesn't dread necromancer have something like this as a class ability?

7. - Top - End - #7

ClericGirl

The only thing I've found so far other than the above is another that has severe situational restrictions:

Blackwater Taint, which deals 1d6 / 2 CL, deals 1 negative level (save for half dmg + no negative level) and also desecrates the area. Pretty nice! Did I mention it only works underwater? .... yeah. -_-

8. - Top - End - #8

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Saint GoH View Post
    Doesn't dread necromancer have something like this as a class ability?
    Looked this up... yep, they get one. 5ft. radius burst from caster, 1d4/ per CLASS level, with a will for half... and only 4 times/day at 18th level. Wow, is that underwhelming. Puny radius, low damage, applicable save, and very low uses per day.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yorae View Post
    Looked this up... yep, they get one. 5ft. radius burst from caster, 1d4/ per CLASS level, with a will for half... and only 4 times/day at 18th level. Wow, is that underwhelming. Puny radius, low damage, applicable save, and very low uses per day.
    That's WotC for you. Mind, Dread Necromancer is actually a good class…
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

I'm pretty sure there was such a spell in a Dragon, the one that detailed the worship of the Greyhawk godess of magic. I don't remember the specifics, though.

11. - Top - End - #11

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Aharon View Post
    I'm pretty sure there was such a spell in a Dragon, the one that detailed the worship of the Greyhawk godess of magic. I don't remember the specifics, though.
    I'd be very interested in seeing this, but I'm not sure which goddess this would be. Greyhawk shares a lot of "standard" deities, so it's hard to figure out which one in order to figure out which issue of Dragon to look in. You're sure it was a goddess? Couldn't be Boccob, then... maybe Wee Jas? There are a lot of deities of magic.

Are you sure it was Greyhawk? Maybe it was Forgotten Realms? That would make more sense, since it had a very significant single goddess of magic, Mystra (well, the second Mystra, the first Mystra was male).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Are there any spells that cause negative energy damage in an area (preferably an actual area, like a burst, rather than just multiple creatures)?
    Necrotic Skull Bomb (Champions of Ruin), but that deals energy drain (levels) rather than damage. 20' burst, but Fort save negates.

13. - Top - End - #13

Planetar

It's in the article about Boccob in issue 338, but I misremembered; it's single target

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Granted, it's essentially an AoE heal for their minions, and damage for whoever they're fighting.

While I agree it's underwhelming for pure damage, it's a solid option for them.

15. - Top - End - #15

Planetar

Talking about the Dread Necromancer made me remember:

Mass Harm is a 20ft. radius burst centered on the caster. The downside: It's rather bad for its level and specificity (Dread Necromancer 9).

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Custom Negative Energy Fireball?

Thats all I can think of.

17. - Top - End - #17

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Toraminus View Post
    Custom Negative Energy Fireball?

Thats all I can think of.
    Custom as in homebrew?

Edit: Spell research, maybe?
    Last edited by Yorae; 2011-02-07 at 01:16 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

personally I use the DN ability for getting rid of flanking by mook minions., second, theres a reasonable chance of the enemies taking a -2 penalty due to the fear aura, and third D4/level is about the same as D8/2 levels produced by unholy blight/Holy smite and the ilk. which is far from poor when you dont have to expend spellslots to use it. also supernatural ability. can anyone say grapple?

however on to the matter at hand... when designing your negativity energy bomb, please remember negative energies propensity for will saves and D8's as damage. problem with the burst is that many DM's will find it overpowered unless they are abusing undead. and if your abusing undead as a player, theres no way in hell a dm will give you a one-sided fireball. i'd suggest you consider the cold based corpsecrafter feat and then just spam cone of cold or energy sub'd fireballs.

and then my brain kicked in. Mass inflicts? light and moderate are fairly poor however.