New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Mutants and Masterminds 3rd Edition

So I just have a couple questions regarding the new edition of M&M from Green Ronin. I was a minor fan of M&M 2nd, just never got into many games due to our group not really being a fan of the genre, and some bits I just didn't care for. It seems like 3rd edition has fixed some of those from what I've read, so I've been wanting to pick up 3rd edition, but I'm a little bit confused as to which book to pick up.

I see that there's the DC Adventures Heroes handbook, and then there's an unreleased paperback of M&M 3rd edition when I looked it up on Amazon. Does this contain all of the same material? I'm leaning more toward a hardcover book in the event of both books having the same material for longer survivability, but if the DC adventures doesn't have full non-DC character creation available, I guess I'd pass.

Anybody know anything about what I want if I'm mostly just looking to play/DM M&M 3rd in a rather generic setting?
    Spoiler
    Show

"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."

"It all seemed harmless..."

Character Roster:

Ami Nakamura - Self Taught Sorceress [Sacramento Occult]

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Mutants and Masterminds 3rd Edition

Quote Originally Posted by ninja_penguin View Post
    Anybody know anything about what I want if I'm mostly just looking to play/DM M&M 3rd in a rather generic setting?
    I'd go with the M&M 3E rulebook, then. A good chunk of the DC Adventures Hero's Handbook is backstory and information on the DC Universe, and stats for some of the major (and a few less major) DC heroes and villains.
    LGBTitP

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by ninja_penguin View Post
    I see that there's the DC Adventures Heroes handbook, and then there's an unreleased paperback of M&M 3rd edition when I looked it up on Amazon. Does this contain all of the same material? I'm leaning more toward a hardcover book in the event of both books having the same material for longer survivability, but if the DC adventures doesn't have full non-DC character creation available, I guess I'd pass.
    Both books are identical rules wise, characters in DC Adventures and M&M 3E are exactly the same from a rules perspective. The only difference is the DCA is hardback and has DC specific examples and background.

I will warn you though, the M&M 3E Heroes Handbook has no villains in the back, you need to wait for the GM Guide/Kit for those rules, or for the low price of $0.99 buy some fun villains (with HeroLab portfolio) from the Green Ronin online store.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon View Post
    will warn you though, the M&M 3E Heroes Handbook has no villains in the back, you need to wait for the GM Guide/Kit for those rules, or for the low price of $0.99 buy some fun villains (with HeroLab portfolio) from the Green Ronin online store.
    Or you may browse through this interesting area of the M&M forums. Bunch of statted characters.