New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

eek how do you kill acererak?!!! Yes, it's tomb of horrors!!!!

Ok... for real... how cna you kill it?? it's inmune to normal damage?? spell resistance? smite evil works??! i really want to know... it's even posible??!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: how do you kill acererak?!!! Yes, it's tomb of horrors!!!!

Have you tried dropping a whale on him?

I once heard of some players somehow using a summon animal spell to drop a whale on somebody. Perhaps you could try that, if only to distract and confuse him? Other than that, I don't have a clue.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Which edition?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Summoning a whale won't work in 3.5 as they can only be summoned into a water environment.
    In older editions you could use the magic crown to off him but they changed that in later editions (again, 3.5 onwards the crown wont work on him)

He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    — Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

My characters
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Which edition?
    It's 3.5e... any ideas??

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Use spells that don't allow SR. Because you SR doesn't apply, failing your roll to overcome SR makes no difference. Good spells include the orb series for damage.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Have you tried dropping a whale on him?

I once heard of some players somehow using a summon animal spell to drop a whale on somebody. Perhaps you could try that, if only to distract and confuse him? Other than that, I don't have a clue.
    Summon Bigger Fish?
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Pavo View Post
    Ok... for real... how cna you kill it?? it's inmune to normal damage?? spell resistance? smite evil works??! i really want to know... it's even posible??!
    Well, you can Download the Module and read up on the beast, and have your Cleric do no-roll action-denial, while everyone else whales on the beast, but that'd be cheating.

But yeah - the Orb line of spells (Spell Compendium) will work out fairly well.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

You do know you don't have to kill him?

I mean check out this old thread... it only starts to get interesting after the basic useless answers happen, but it DOES eventually get useful...

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163734

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

A bit off topic, but is the 3.5 ToH as brutal as earlier ones?
    Gary Gygax: "As an author, I also realize that there are limits to my creativity and imagination. Others will think of things I didn't, and devise things beyond my capabilities".

Also Gary Gygax: "The AD&D game system does not allow the injection of extraneous material. That is clearly stated in the rule books. It is thus a simple matter: Either one plays the AD&D game, or one plays something else."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

A Warlock with Vitriolic Blast can deal reliable damage with no SR or save. At least one character should be ready to interrupt Acererak's casting. Tossing a few Dispels at him seems like a good start - if Warlock's Voracious Dispelling is SR:no, then it's the best choice for it.

It is also important to pray to avoid a TPK - Acererak is supposed to be deadly and unfair.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Does Acererak in 3.5 ToH use the Epic Demilich template, if so...

Magic Immunity (Ex)
    Demiliches are immune to all magical and supernatural effects, except as follows. A shatter spell affects a demilich as if it were a crystalline creature, but deals half the damage normally indicated. A dispel evil spell deals 3d6 points of damage (Fort save for half damage). Holy smite spells affect demiliches normally.
    It's worded differently than Spell Immunity, which only protects against things which allow Spell Resistance. There's no "SR-No"ing your way past Magic Immunity, except for the three indicated spells.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

I guess even the moderator succumbs to the double post demon sometime...

14. - Top - End - #14

What double post? Where? You saw nothing, I say, nothing! Go back to your fun, citizen. There is no double posting mind control.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

how beefy is his turn resistance? i vaguely remember my friend telling me about his radiant servant of pelor...
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by gallagher View Post
    how beefy is his turn resistance? i vaguely remember my friend telling me about his radiant servant of pelor...
    Again assuming the standard Demilich, he has Turn Resistance +20.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The group I DMed this game for came up with an incredibly creative solution that killed the Demilich.

I've spoilered the information because I think it would ruin much of the fun and challenge if you read this, but go ahead if you need to.
    Spoiler
    Show

Locate and recover the Gem of Cursed Wishing which you can find in the columned hall, glowing amidst a field of skeletons. Summon some intelligent creature, this works particularly well if said creature is a demon or other covetous entity (a babu worked just fine in the case of my PCs.

Give the Gem of Cursed Wishing to said creature, and run as far as you can. If anyone can cast Rope Trick, this is a good place to flee.

Upon the creature's turn it will attempt to use a wish and create a 15ft. radius ball of hellfire. This deals 200 points of damage on a failed DC 23 Reflex save. The 70 points of damage the demilich takes even if it succeeds its saving throw (on a natural 20) is more than enough to kill it.

I do not know if this is allowed by RAW as the demilich has explicit immunity to supernatural effects:
    "The demilich construct is immune to all spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural effects, just as if the attacker had failed to overcome spell resistance, except as follows."
    It seems up to interpretation, but I would rule that an effect that does not allow spell resistance is exempted from this effect.

EDIT
    To those talking about turn resistance:
    Again game changing spoilers lurk below
    Spoiler
    Show

The demilich in the adventure is not actually undead, but is rather a construct. It is nearly impossible to kill with DR 20/Keen or Epic, spell immunity as mentioned in the other spoiler with a few spells exempt (Power Word Kill, Shatter, Holy Word), which deal damage proportional to spell level.
    Last edited by tanderson11; 2011-02-06 at 05:59 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tanderson11 View Post
    EDIT
    To those talking about turn resistance:
    Again game changing spoilers lurk below
    Spoiler
    Show

The demilich in the adventure is not actually undead, but is rather a construct. It is nearly impossible to kill with DR 20/Keen or Epic, spell immunity as mentioned in the other spoiler with a few spells exempt (Power Word Kill, Shatter, Holy Word), which deal damage proportional to spell level.
    Power Attack is works...

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tanderson11 View Post
    The group I DMed this game for came up with an incredibly creative solution that killed the Demilich.

I've spoilered the information because I think it would ruin much of the fun and challenge if you read this, but go ahead if you need to.
    Spoiler
    Show

Locate and recover the Gem of Cursed Wishing which you can find in the columned hall, glowing amidst a field of skeletons. Summon some intelligent creature, this works particularly well if said creature is a demon or other covetous entity (a babu worked just fine in the case of my PCs.

Give the Gem of Cursed Wishing to said creature, and run as far as you can. If anyone can cast Rope Trick, this is a good place to flee.

Upon the creature's turn it will attempt to use a wish and create a 15ft. radius ball of hellfire. This deals 200 points of damage on a failed DC 23 Reflex save. The 70 points of damage the demilich takes even if it succeeds its saving throw (on a natural 20) is more than enough to kill it.

I do not know if this is allowed by RAW as the demilich has explicit immunity to supernatural effects:
    "The demilich construct is immune to all spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural effects, just as if the attacker had failed to overcome spell resistance, except as follows."
    It seems up to interpretation, but I would rule that an effect that does not allow spell resistance is exempted from this effect.
    I like this.

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have another, related question. Would an Orb of Force spell kill Acererak? It doesn't allow SR, sooo...
    Creator Independent discoverer of the Bird Familiar With a Wand and the Cometfall Orbital Strike

Awesome Protoss High Templar avatar by Dorian Soth.

Gaming ID (Steam, SC II, LoL, etc): BobRedshirt

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Wizard View Post
    I have another, related question. Would an Orb of Force spell kill Acererak? It doesn't allow SR, sooo...
    It would hurt him, but there is still a hp amount he would need to be dealt.