New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Invisible Spell Metamagic feat and Ocular Spell

On page 61 of Cityscape, there is the Metamagic Feat called insivible spell. It makes the effects of your spell visually invisible.

In Lords of Madness, on page 181, there is the metamagic feat ocular spell. With this, I understand, you can fire spells from your eyes without somatic or verbal components (as you have cast the spells previously and stored them in your eyes).

If you combine those two feats in one spell, could you then, say, store a scorching ray in your eyes, which would be invisible when you fire it? So that you could effectively use the spell without detection?

There might be more elegant ways to do this, but would my way work?

Thanks, dear fellows in the playground!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Invisible Spell Metamagic feat and Ocular Spell

That should work, yes. Same story with Still Silent Invisible Scorching Ray.

There might still be some ways to detect it though. You still provoke an attack of opportunity, so it seems people can tell you're up to something. And then there are abilities like Battlemagic Perception and the Ring of Spellbattle that will detect the magic itself, but those are kind of exotic outside of pvp arenas and such.
    Last edited by Claudius Maximus; 2011-02-06 at 06:48 PM.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Combine with Tibbit in kitty form, and you've got a cute little combo on your hands
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thank you for your kind answers!

I still have a follow-up-question: There is no rule that determines whether you need to use "Insivible Spell MM" in addition to Ocular Spell MM, in order to go along undetected, right?

For example: A fireball has clearly visual effects. However, if I use Ocular Spell with Charm Person, do I also need invisible spell if I want to cast it without detection? (Or is Ocular spell enough?)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

You may want to consider the Conceal Spellcasting skill trick from complete scoundrel.

1/encounter: Make a sleight of hand check. Anyone who sees you can make a spot check. If you win, they cannot detect your casting, cannot make an attack of opportunity for your casting, and cannot counter your casting.

Best thing is? If they don't have direct LOS to you (for example, you're invisible, or around a corner), they can't win a spot check. In that case, even if they hear the components, they cannot identify the spell or recognize the casting.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by candycorn View Post
    You may want to consider the Conceal Spellcasting skill trick from complete scoundrel.

1/encounter: Make a sleight of hand check. Anyone who sees you can make a spot check. If you win, they cannot detect your casting, cannot make an attack of opportunity for your casting, and cannot counter your casting.
    You don't even need a skill trick for it, it's one of the normal uses of Sleight of Hand. I forget where it was first printed, but it's also in the Rules Compendium.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    You don't even need a skill trick for it, it's one of the normal uses of Sleight of Hand. I forget where it was first printed, but it's also in the Rules Compendium.
    RoS, p 133.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

I knew already about the skill trick, but not that I could make it without a skilltrick (due to Races of Stone). Thanks for the hints, everyone! I guess I will put some points in sleight of hand. Makes my able learner even more useful ; )

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chrizzt View Post
    Thank you for your kind answers!

I still have a follow-up-question: There is no rule that determines whether you need to use "Insivible Spell MM" in addition to Ocular Spell MM, in order to go along undetected, right?

For example: A fireball has clearly visual effects. However, if I use Ocular Spell with Charm Person, do I also need invisible spell if I want to cast it without detection? (Or is Ocular spell enough?)
    Why wouldn't you? Invisible Spell is a +0 Metamagic.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

If Ocular Spell can cover that, I could use the feat slot for something other than Invisible spell..

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post

There might still be some ways to detect it though. You still provoke an attack of opportunity, so it seems people can tell you're up to something..
    To quote David Sedaris "Each activity required it's own separate form of concentration, and while no one knew exactly what I was up to, it was pretty clear that something was going on. I think it was my face that gave me away, that and my oddly swollen calf"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Last Laugh View Post
    I think it was my face that gave me away, that and my oddly swollen calf"
    I'm going to use that as the description for my next character's spellcasting thematics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Popertop View Post
    Congratulations sir, only a proud, great and terrible few have managed to produce an epic frown from me.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chrizzt View Post
    If Ocular Spell can cover that, I could use the feat slot for something other than Invisible spell..
    Yeah, but without Invisible Spell, they still might see the spell itself even if they don't think you did it. It is basically the best thing ever for a mage involved in politics, social functions, and general sneakiness.
    Last edited by FMArthur; 2011-02-09 at 02:27 PM.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.