New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Question about Ghost sound (4E)

It is my understanding that there is (or was) a debate about the usability of ghost sound to replicate voices. My current character is probably going to die during the next session my group has, and I would like to know what the playground thinks before I try to pull anything with my wizard backup character.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Question about Ghost sound (4E)

Nothing against it being a voice in the power description. I think I may have used it to the same effect when I last played, as well, and my DM gave me a thumbs-up for being creative. It's really going to depend on the DM you have regarding how much you can get away with.

One of my friends played a bard in 3.5 that used ghost sound to a similar effect by making it sound like we had some giant army outside and the DM gave him a bonus to his (already enormous) bluff check to scare the bandits in the cave. Course, he tried to go a bit too far and tried to make them think we had a dragon with us, too. At least one guy realized that was bull and made us fight.
    Proud beta-tester for Pirates vs. Ninjas

Contributions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't have enough templates in your life? Let's Read the Book of Templates: Deluxe Edition!(Abandoned)

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

In the employer/BBEG's mansion.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I was under the impression that it could replicate the sound of voices like you might hear in a crowded room, but couldn't replicate distinct words.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    It is my understanding that there is (or was) a debate about the usability of ghost sound to replicate voices.
    The rules don't specify whether you can duplicate a specific voice. In my experience, most DMs will either rule that, since the rules don't say the power can do that, it doesn't work; or they will give the wizard some kind of bluff check, which usually also means it doesn't work, since wizards tend to suck at bluff.

Quote Originally Posted by Suedars View Post
    I was under the impression that it could replicate the sound of voices like you might hear in a crowded room, but couldn't replicate distinct words.
    That is incorrect. The power spells out that you can make somebody understand your exact words.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rules don't specify whether you can duplicate a specific voice. In my experience, most DMs will either rule that, since the rules don't say the power can do that, it doesn't work; or they will give the wizard some kind of bluff check, which usually also means it doesn't work, since wizards tend to suck at bluff.
    I'm actually a Tiefling and have a charisma score of 20 (Going with orb of deception, plus imperious majesty) So my bluff bonus is +12 at level 11 which didn't seem too bad to me.