New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Acid Breath spell resistance?

I was looking for acid area spells for a level 5 wizard, and found Acid Breath in the Spell Compendium. The odd thing is that it allows spell resistance, unlike every other acid damage spell I've seen.

This is disappointing, because getting around spell resistance was the exact reason I was looking for an acid based AoE.

Does anyone else find this odd?
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Acid Breath spell resistance?

That is really weird, considering it's a Conjuration spell...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I know, right? I thought there was a rationale behind acid spells bypassing spell resistance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I can't think of any good reason why this would be the case. Maybe an editing typo? Anyhow, in my game, I'd be happy to houserule it as SR: no.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Wow, in all my time playing 3.5/PF, I've never noticed that acid spells completely ignore SR. That is some wonky stuff. Is there a mechanics or fluff reason for this?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ashram View Post
    Wow, in all my time playing 3.5/PF, I've never noticed that acid spells completely ignore SR. That is some wonky stuff. Is there a mechanics or fluff reason for this?
    Because they are the most quintessential form of conjuration - the magic is used to make/summon something, and once the magic ends, the substance is real. It's the same reason SR wouldn't protect you from falling into a vat of acid.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Yea, its kinda an artifact of the fact that most, if not all, acid spells are Conjourations, and most Conjourations don't have SR. Its not a property intrinsic of acid spells, but a side affect of nearly all acid spells being Conjouration rather than Evocation, a school in which most spells allow SR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ashram View Post
    If you think that's wonky, then Orb of Force will blow your mind - a spell that conjures a non-magical (i.e. SR = no) ball of magical force!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    If you think that's wonky, then Orb of Force will blow your mind - a spell that conjures a non-magical (i.e. SR = no) ball of magical force!
    People really need to find something else to mention in these discussions.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I forget which thread, but hamish and I were actually hashing out how this could make sense. Just as conjured fire comes from the Plane of Fire, there could be a hypothetical plane of Force (similar, for instance, to the one Maze sends you to) from which a conjurer could pull the material he needs to make such an orb.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    People really need to find something else to mention in these discussions.
    Aw c'mon, it IS a pretty weird concept.

Anyway, since when has the same thing being posted over and over again not been part of these forums? Hello Monkday threads; ToB: sucks or awesome; Paladins should(n't) fall etc etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren
    I forget which thread, but hamish and I were actually hashing out how this could make sense. Just as conjured fire comes from the Plane of Fire, there could be a hypothetical plane of Force (similar, for instance, to the one Maze sends you to) from which a conjurer could pull the material he needs to make such an orb.
    Yeah, that is one potnetial explanation.

For the record, I really don't have a problem with orb of Force, it's just a little odd, is all...