New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Spells that give you a good BAB?

There is Divine Power and Valiant Fury. Are there any others? Also is there any spells that just give a good BAB and no additional bonuses? Lastly are there any arcane spells for this?
    Thanks

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Spells that give you a good BAB?

Limited wish to mimic Divine Power? Other than that, not sure. At higher levels Divine Favor isn't a bad buff to have running to eat up the BAB difference, though sadly it doesn't do anything for BAB itself.

I don't remember if Tenser's Transformation changes BAB offhand.
    Last edited by Whammydill; 2011-02-07 at 10:42 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

There is (Tenser's) Transformation, though its a 6th lvl Sorc/Wiz spell and doesn't allow you to cast spells while its ongoing.

To get Divine Power as an arcane caster, you could also take the feat from Complete Divine, name escapes me at the moment, that grants you spells from a domain, though you need the appropriate wisdom score to cast it. Divine Power is on the War domain list.

Those are the only ones that come to mind.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by nekomata2 View Post
    There is (Tenser's) Transformation, though its a 6th lvl Sorc/Wiz spell and doesn't allow you to cast spells while its ongoing.

To get Divine Power as an arcane caster, you could also take the feat from Complete Divine, name escapes me at the moment, that grants you spells from a domain, though you need the appropriate wisdom score to cast it. Divine Power is on the War domain list.

Those are the only ones that come to mind.
    I believe it's called Arcane Disciple.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Valiant Fury doesn't increase your BAB.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nekomata2 View Post
    Yeah, I was going to say this.. but its amongst my list of 'spells so useless I have never ever seen it casts in my group or any game I have observed'.

Its more optimal to summon something with this spell slot to fight for you while you continue to cast spells.
    Last edited by Skaven; 2011-02-07 at 01:18 PM.
    Credits to Nathan for my avatar!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Additionally, the master may cast a spell with a target of "You" on his familiar (as a touch range spell) instead of on himself.
    Pop it on your Familiar, rather than yourself.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm, polymorph + tenser's transformation, suddenly polymorphing the familiar doesn't suffer from the poor BAB drawback. Only the low HP drawback. Takes preparation time though.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by 2xMachina View Post
    But then he can't use the spells I gave him through Imbue Familiar w/ Spell Ability.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2xMachina View Post
    How is it that people are able to reliably throw their familiars into melee without it getting killed? I also hear about familiars being used to deliver touch spells a lot as their biggest benefit... but these things go down in one attack, lose the caster some experience points, and prevent him from bonding another for a year.
    Last edited by FMArthur; 2011-02-07 at 01:45 PM.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FMArthur View Post
    How is it that people are able to reliably throw their familiars into melee without it getting killed? I also hear about familiars being used to deliver touch spells a lot as their biggest benefit... but these things go down in one attack, lose the caster some experience points, and prevent him from bonding another for a year.
    Well, a lot of familiars are very small, and many have crazy ACs. I guess a Dexterity buff and a casting of Shield or something, to make them pretty untouchable at low-medium levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by FMArthur View Post
    Personally, I think that it's DM's being nice and not targeting the weak point.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well, gishes have higher HP totals and better numbers for familiars in general as well as getting naturally crunchier familiars sooner and there's a number of buffs for familiars to make them survive melee better.

Regular ones rely on either bigger distractions in the form of Beatsticks or...hide checks, I believe.

edit: Polymorphing... I think it's relying on a lack of ranged/caster support on the part of the enemy and using reach and meatshields to prevent effective reprisals on either wizard or familiar.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2011-02-07 at 03:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide