New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Have you ever been sold on an RPG book by something OTHER than the rules?

It could be a character description, the way the book was constructed, the artwork, the genre, or even just a friend's recommendation.

If you don't mind sharing what it was, please do so. Keep in mind, this is an instance where you didn't consider the rules AT ALL prior to purchasing.

For me, it was the artwork, and engaging writing in the 3.5 Eberron Campaign Setting.
    Last edited by Ragitsu; 2011-02-07 at 06:36 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Have you ever been sold on an RPG book by something OTHER than the rules?

Sure. Dragons of Faerun was a big one for me in this respect. I loved the detail of the descriptions and the depth of the character analysis and creation of the titular dragons.

Faiths and Pantheons was another great one for this. Man, that book is awesome in almost every respect, but not mechanically.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Have you ever been sold on an RPG book by something OTHER than the rules?

I dunno if this counts, but my friends got me into Aberrant a couple years ago because the whole superhero angle is pretty cool. I didn't even consider that it was the d10 system which I do not particularly care for (or have a good grasp of, for that matter).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

If I could buy them now, I'd get the Pathfinder books. The art and layout are just so eye-catching.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Does anyone buy Exalted for any rules-related reason to begin with?

Also, Qin and Weapons of the Gods.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think the only book I bought for the rules were core. Otherwise its always been "Ooh pretty cover!".
    I used to do avatars on request, feel free to use them.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

The Eclipse Phase rulebooks, the setting is increadable, and the detail is fantastic not to mention the concept of the TITANS
    A PC's lack of common sense is easily confused with stupidity

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Excepting 3.5 I don't think any other systems I play are for the rules. However, if you want a specific example - Nobilis (if there is any other book which can live up to the complex nuances of its flavor I have yet to hear of it).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Violence, the roleplaying game of egregious and repulsive bloodshed.

And it is one of the funniest things I ever read
    Member of the paladin fan club

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

I'm just getting into Exalted, right now, after having missed the bus for a good long while. And I have to say the main reason is the fluff.

Edit: oh and add every Rifts book, ever, to this as well.
    Last edited by Caliphbubba; 2011-02-07 at 07:18 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Anything about 2e Forgotten Realms. BS setting rules (2e epic...), but really interesting fluff once you got past the irritating Mary Sue NPCs, imo.
    Snickett avatar by me.

I draw custom OotSatars. I'm wearing one now, and you can check out samples in my Gallery.

12. - Top - End - #12

I dont remember ever buying a book because of the rule's, usually it's the setting or concept that makes me choose it.
    Aside from "have fun", i think the key to GMing is putting your players into situations where they need to make a choice that has no perfect outcome available. They will hate you for it, but they will be back at the table session after session.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

A number of times. Vampire and the World of Darkness stuff because it was cool in the early-mid nineties, and the ideas seemed interesting. Shadowrun, too, for that matter, for all of the system-wank we did. Eclipse Phase I purchased in SPITE of the rules (which read a lot better in paper than they do in PDF), and Fading Suns, too. Ars Magica has always been a setting-over-system for me.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Shadowrun 4ed Anniversary Edition.

I enjoyed the setting and the look of the book.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I bought 3.5's Draconomicon because the artwork was so fab. There have been tons of cool pics of dragons in D&D's long history, but that book had illustrations that looked like they were out of some sort of old style textbook, and really gave the different types of dragons their own identities.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I bought Deliria and one of its splatbooks sight unseen, because I was really impressed with the author's work in oWoD Mage. Didn't turn out to be one of my better purchases. I bought GURPS Shapeshifters for the fluff and ideas. Likewise BoED, BoEF, and a third-party 3.0 book called Evil -- better fluff than BoVD, but mechanically weak.

Most 3rd-ed GURPS books are worth the price regardless of what system you run.

I bought oWoD Wraith in order to be able to play the game (i.e. for mechanics) but if I'd known what was in there I would've snatched it up anyway. That book oozes Jungian psychology, and a game could easily lead to someone becoming a more whole person IRL -- maybe even just a read. Also, I totally freaked out when I got it home, went to bed, and found out the cover included glow-in-the-dark material ... freeeeeeaked out.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I can't stand GURPS mechanics, and still have god knows how much GURPS stuff, simply because of how well researched it is. Then there is the matter of Qin: The Warring States.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Of course.
    Other than systems for which I buy everything (such as D&D), I initially want flavor, rules come later.
    I could say Time of Thin Blood and Era do Caos (Age of Chaos), a brazilian RPG with a conspiracy theme.
    Time and time again, this aproach disappointed me greatly. I regret to this day the money I spent on BESM d20.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Call of Cthulhu books, Paranoia, several Rolemaster books for creatures and treasure, Amber.

D&D is really the only system I know where people seem to obsess so much about rules.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

...no, not really.

I'm the kind of person who stands in the bookstore being an obstacle to other shoppers until she's absolutely sure she wants to spend her money.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

Pretty much every non-D&D game book I've obtained has been for the art, setting fluff, or the intrigue I felt when thinking about playing something from it.

This includes Exalted, Shadowrun, Paranoia, Vampire: the Masquerade, and even a few D&D books, like Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss.

22. - Top - End - #22

World of Darkness, because it was $5 at the library book sale. I'm not even all that familiar with it, but I can tell it looks fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Gamer cancels life, interrupted by Dwarf Fortress.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

This was the reason that I bought Weapons of Legacy over Tome of Battle. Granted, I didn't understand what the Book of Nine Swords was at the time (it looked like just another incarnum), but my actions stand.
    *note: not all advice by this poster is meant to be taken seriously.

Warlock/Swordsage avatar by yldenfrei

optimization is like salt. a pinch here and there can't hurt, but too much will spoil everything.

I have salty tastes.

24. - Top - End - #24

BardGuy

I don't own it(yet), but I'd buy Bliss Stage just for the concept descriptions I've read.

25. - Top - End - #25

I've gotten Conspiracy X, GURPS, and World of Darkness titles for the flavor, and I've gotten Pathfinder titles for the flavor and art, so...yep.
    LGBTitP

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I like Cityscape for all the DM advice it has along with the info on building cities. Very little of it is actual rules, but I've found it very helpful.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Callista View Post
    ...no, not really.

I'm the kind of person who stands in the bookstore being an obstacle to other shoppers until she's absolutely sure she wants to spend her money.
    Glad I'm not the only one.

Once a clerk said that the store wasn't a library. I replied that I wanted to be sure before I spend over thirty bucks on one book. In my own defense, I probably bought 250-300 dollars worth of material from that store before I moved.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

People say art doesn't matter in game books? Bull. Maybe in the long term, maybe, but in the short term, it sure as hell helps sales.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

In Nomine. I still have no idea whatsoever how the mechanics worked, but the fluff text made for awesome reading.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

I don't even play Gurps but I've bought a few of their source books (e.g. Celts) because they are usually reasonably researched, well written, and a fun read.
    Frolic and dance for joy often.
    Be determined in your ventures.
    -KAB