New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Default Living a long time

I have an idea for a character who would 'naturally' live for an unintuitively long time, and I need classes, feats, spells and what have you in order to make it happen. I already know undead 'live' forever, but that's not what I am going for. What I am going for is still being mortal, but hideously cheating death.

Don't feel shy about anything; this is supposed to look awkward, desparate, and cheesy. Anything from Dungeon or Dragon (mags) or any WotC book can go. No homebrew or 3rd party. 3.5 D&D. Also, automatically assume the higest possible roll on natural life limits.

Here's what I'm using already:
    1 Be a human. 2 Somehow get timeless body. 3 Become an elan (XPH). 4 Become a dragonborn. 5 Become a Mindflayer Ultharid (LoM also there's something in some adventure that gives a 40% to 'survive' becoming a mindflayer)

I think there are some elf and dragon related PrCs that boost lifespan, but I need their sources. And of course, spam-take epic feat Extremely Long Lived (EpicLevelHandbook).

Have fun!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Default Re: Living a long time

I don't think it's cheesy, actually.

Personally, as a DM I'd allow it as part of your background story. Giving someone a very long lifespan is not at all unbalanced, since natural death is hardly a threat to adventurers.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Ruathar in Races of the Wild gives +50% lifespan.
    Dragon Prophet from some Eberron book gives 10x lifespan.
    Steal Life from Book of Vile Darkness is an 8th level spell that makes you younger if you ability drain someone under a full moon.
    Incantifier from Dragon Magazine ceases to age.
    Reincarnate gives you a new young adult body each time, you can emulate it via Limited Wish and put it into a contingency.
    Living Zombies from Champions of Ruin are undead which halves your aging rate once per LZ you control.
    There is also an epic spell in... Lost Empires of Faerun, I think, Ioulaum's Longevity.

Would Stasis Clone from Lords of Darkness work? You make one, put it onto a timeless plane (assuming it does not just stay in stasis, as the name would imply). When you get too old, you kill yourself and wake in the clone, make a new one, and then repeat the process.
    Last edited by Analytica; 2011-02-07 at 09:10 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Cloud Anchorite grants immunity to aging as a capstone.

Have a handbook.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boa...p?topic=5996.0

An entire handbook devoted to this concept. Have fun!

Edit: Ninja'd
    Last edited by Urpriest; 2011-02-07 at 09:28 PM.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingPirate

There is also the Dragon Island affiliation from PHBII (doubles to quadruples your lifespan) and the wedded to History + Pawn in the Great Game (make a fort save when you die to come back to life) feat combination from Dragon Magazine...issue....300 and something. Could someone give the actual issue, I don't have it here with me.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Immortality is such a small deal in terms of th lifespan of a campaign that Mutants and Masterminds costs it as a 1 point Immunity to Aging.

Because if the game is set up in such a way that a naturally long lifespan matters, everyone will have it. And if not, it's not really that big of a deal outside of character story and concept. In play it will make almost no difference.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Dice View Post
    Immortality is such a small deal in terms of th lifespan of a campaign that Mutants and Masterminds costs it as a 1 point Immunity to Aging.

Because if the game is set up in such a way that a naturally long lifespan matters, everyone will have it. And if not, it's not really that big of a deal outside of character story and concept. In play it will make almost no difference.
    I can think of one way to make agelessness useful:
    This will all have to be done at/during character creation.

Step one: Get one of those features that prevent aging penalities but not bonuses.
    Step two: Get true imortality.
    Step three: continue getting caster levels and enjoy your free +3 to your casting stat that stacks with all other kinds of bonuses.

This set-up would probably work best for druids.
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2011-02-07 at 10:49 PM.
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/po...SwitchTrue.htm

High level telepaths can live forever by taking on new bodies.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

There's a feat in Dragon Magazine called Wedded to History (IIRC) that permits you to take one of the Ancient Backgrounds from that issue (Dragon #354), one of which is "Immortal" and does what it says. Bam, one feat and any character is immortal.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

You can stop at, "Be an elan." They're immortal by default. The maximum age printed in the book was a typo according to errata; elans have no maximum age.