New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Monster PC questions

Does casting granted by race stack with casting granted by class?
    For example, a Nymph casts as a 7th level Sorcerer. Would a Nymph with 1 Sorcerer level cast as an 8th level Sorcerer, or would she have 7th level casting and extra 1st level casting?
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2011-02-08 at 10:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Racial Casting and Casting Classes?

A spellcasting class is an associated class for a creature that already has the ability to cast spells as a character of the class in question, since the monster’s levels in the spellcasting class stack with its innate spellcasting ability.

So, a nymph druid 1 would cast as an 8th level druid, while a nymph sorcerer 1 would cast as a 7th level druid and 1st level sorcerer.

[Edit]: Assuming 3.5, though I'm pretty sure PF works the same way in this regard.
    Last edited by Greenish; 2011-02-08 at 10:39 AM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    A spellcasting class is an associated class for a creature that already has the ability to cast spells as a character of the class in question, since the monster’s levels in the spellcasting class stack with its innate spellcasting ability.

So, a nymph druid 1 would cast as an 8th level druid, while a nymph sorcerer 1 would cast as a 7th level druid and 1st level sorcerer.
    ok, thanks.

Incidentally, does LA stack with Racial Hit Dice, or do they overlap?
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by master256 View Post
    Incidentally, does LA stack with Racial Hit Dice, or do they overlap?
    They stack. A nymph druid 1 would have ECL of 14 (6 RHD + 7 LA + 1 class level).
    Last edited by Greenish; 2011-02-08 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Mistake.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Flumph

Default Re: Monster PC questions

You count both the RHD and the LA towards your ECL. (Love the acronyms there). This means that a level 1 Nymph druid is equivalent to a level 14 character.

Most level adjustments, especially those for caster races err on the side of caution and, as a result, tend to be seriously underpowered.

6. - Top - End - #6

If you want to have LA+HD races actually playable see here before they

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

The link doesn't seem to be working for me.

MrRigger

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

[Edit]: Assuming 3.5, though I'm pretty sure PF works the same way in this regard.
    Are you sure that's RAW - I thought it only stacked with class levels if specifically called out in the monster description (like Rakshasa)?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Are you sure that's RAW - I thought it only stacked with class levels if specifically called out in the monster description (like Rakshasa)?
    I think they usually just call it out for convenience's sake. I can't really remember any instances where they didn't.
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PlzBreakMyCmpAn View Post
    If you want to have LA+HD races actually playable see here before they
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...81#post8578981 is the link he posted.

Alternately, you could check out this homebrew project, which strives to make a tier 2-3ish PC out of the myriad monsters in official material. Licenses are taken to make monsters viable and interesting as PCs, which means reducing huge stat bonuses and getting creative with abilities. It's not all perfect or great, but we're making strides.

So you could wrestle with Nymph LA & RHD, or just take seven levels in this nymph class. It's not one of our better monsters (we've been changing our methodology since mid-2010) but it's more playable.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hyudra View Post
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...81#post8578981 is the link he posted.

Alternately, you could check out this homebrew project, which strives to make a tier 2-3ish PC out of the myriad monsters in official material. Licenses are taken to make monsters viable and interesting as PCs, which means reducing huge stat bonuses and getting creative with abilities. It's not all perfect or great, but we're making strides.

So you could wrestle with Nymph LA & RHD, or just take seven levels in this nymph class. It's not one of our better monsters (we've been changing our methodology since mid-2010) but it's more playable.
    Actually, a nymph was just the first example I thought of. I was asking in general.
    My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Improving monsters:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    A nymph casts as a 7th level druid, a rakshasa as a 7th level sorcerer, and so forth.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Don't think of racial hit dice as something special - they're levels. Just like class levels. That's all.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Improving monsters:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Originally Posted by SRD
    A nymph casts as a 7th level druid, a rakshasa as a 7th level sorcerer, and so forth.
    I stand corrected - I have never noticed that clause before.

Well, that will certainly make this list more interesting...I'm off to make some NPCs!