New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Question Any chance Hideous Blow can be quickened?

'Cause that would be pretty cool... It just doesn't make much sense.
    Ponified Remilia avatar by Kurien.
    Quote Originally Posted by BayardSPSR View Post
    Do you have 'craft: disturbing mental image' as a class skill?
    Attempt at converting the characters of Touhou to the world of D&D 3.5: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181050

Attempt at converting Berserk characters to 3.5: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186155

Attempt at converting Geralt of Rivia to 3.5:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208270

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Any chance Hideous Blow can be quickened?

Sure.

Better for Eldritch Glaive, of course.

Edit: note that you need to be careful what kind of Essence you're putting on it. Anything with too high a level will bump it over the threshold, though that limit rises with your own level.
    Last edited by Cog; 2011-02-09 at 02:29 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

MonkGirl

Just note that Hideous Blow is technically a separate "spell-like ability" from Eldritch Blast.

So you can't just get Quickened Eldritch Blast and say it applies to your Hideous Blow.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat Goddess View Post
    Just note that Hideous Blow is technically a separate "spell-like ability" from Eldritch Blast.
    Not exactly. Hideous Blow is a blast shape, which means it's a nonaction that modifies your Eldritch Blast if you choose to use it. Quicken Spell-Like Ability: Eldritch Blast would allow you to make a quickened Hideous Blow if your CL is high enough, and would count against your three uses of quickened Eldritch Blasts. Which, alas, means you can't take the feat separately for more uses, either.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Hideos Blow is a whopping level 1 Invokation.
    That means you have to be a level 10 Warlock to Quicken it with Quicken SLA (Eldritch Blast) 3/day
    Higher level Shapes would require you to be a higher level Warlock: there is a table in the MM.

I'm not sure its your best option though.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    I'm not sure its your best option though.
    Not the best option, no. But I like that people seem to think it would work (obviously what makes it weird is the fact that it requires a physical attack); the idea is that if it works then it allows you to pull a PUNCH-KICK-PUNCH-PUNCH(ultra combo activated)-SUPER MEGA HELLFIRE KICK!!!!!
    Attempt at converting the characters of Touhou to the world of D&D 3.5: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181050

Attempt at converting Berserk characters to 3.5: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186155

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

frown Re: Any chance Hideous Blow can be quickened?

Um... dire crap.

Eldrich blast is a spell-like ability that equals one half your level. That means as you level, so does eldrich blast. THAT means that you can never quicken eldrich blast. Your only hope is to take a single level of warlock and advance as another caster class until you reach 8th to quicken it (or go as high as warlock12 and then get to somethin'else8).

D'oh! I would have loved this too...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Check the CArc errata. They fixed that problem. EB is now level 1 or the level of any blast shape invocation applied to it, whichever is greater.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Check the CArc errata. They fixed that problem. EB is now level 1 or the level of any blast shape invocation applied to it, whichever is greater.
    Yes, and thank Crom for that!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

smile Re: Any chance Hideous Blow can be quickened?

Errata is broken.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Errata actually usually improves things it revises, IMO. Divine Metamagic is more sane for example.

Though there are a few exceptions (ToB errata... ).
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet-Devil View Post
    Not the best option, no. But I like that people seem to think it would work (obviously what makes it weird is the fact that it requires a physical attack); the idea is that if it works then it allows you to pull a PUNCH-KICK-PUNCH-PUNCH(ultra combo activated)-SUPER MEGA HELLFIRE KICK!!!!!
    It's not so weird. A quickened touch spell will still let you make the touch attack, or touch 6 willing creatures as a swift action.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

It works. 3/day, you can... punch twice a round.
    You could just take Eldritch Claws and do the same all day without taking a crappy shape.
    Last edited by true_shinken; 2011-02-10 at 03:58 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Or
    PUNCH-KICK-PUNCH-PUNCH-KICK-Quickened Eldritch Blast
    without spending one of your precious Invokation slots on Hideos Blast.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Warped Druid Handbook

15. - Top - End - #15

Or
    PUNCH-KICK-PUNCH-PUNCH-KICK-Quickened Eldritch Blast
    True enough, I guess we have some options . How'd you get five attacks though?

Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    It works. 3/day, you can... punch twice a round.
    You could just take Eldritch Claws and do the same all day without taking a crappy shape.
    Nonono, didn't you see my combo? We're throwing in three or four punches/kicks before finishing him with a SUPER MEGA HELLFIRE KICK!!! Though it's true that you could also do a DOUBLE ELDRITCH PUNCH!!, if you were so inclined.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Nonono, didn't you see my combo? We're throwing in three or four punches/kicks before finishing him with a SUPER MEGA HELLFIRE KICK!!! Though it's true that you could also do a DOUBLE ELDRITCH PUNCH!!, if you were so inclined.
    Well, eldritch claw still does it better.
    With claw + glaive, you could quicken the glaive, hitting the target with your iterative attacks, then you 5-foot step into range, activate eldritch claws, and deal unarmed strike damage plus eldritch blast damage... twice.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz
    Or PUNCH-KICK-PUNCH-PUNCH-KICK-Quickened Eldritch Blast
    True enough, I guess we have some options . How'd you get five attacks though?
    Erm, the same way you did.
    Quickened Eldritch Blast/Hideous Blow wouldn't grant you an extra attack either.
    π = 4

Warped Druid Handbook

18. - Top - End - #18

Erm, the same way you did.
    Quickened Eldritch Blast/Hideous Blow wouldn't grant you an extra attack either.
    Well, it wouldn't grant you an extra attack, other than the one it grants you . But yeah, I was just kind've throwing a haste effect in there (ah, but snap-kick would work too I guess); the only way I can think of to get five physical attacks as a Warlock (other than snap-kick) is to multi-class, probably take a 2 level dip in Monk for the unarmed skills, flurry of blows, evasion, +3 to all saves, bonus feats, etc, but that has the unfortunate side effect of reducing warlock abilities.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Well, it wouldn't grant you an extra attack, other than the one it grants you . But yeah, I was just kind've throwing a haste effect in there (ah, but snap-kick would work too I guess); the only way I can think of to get five physical attacks as a Warlock (other than snap-kick) is to multi-class, probably take a 2 level dip in Monk for the unarmed skills, flurry of blows, evasion, +3 to all saves, bonus feats, etc, but that has the unfortunate side effect of reducing warlock abilities.
    Elan Warlock with Improved Rapidstrike and eldritch claws has 5 attacks under haste (8 attacks with haste, Improved Rapidstrike and Quickened Eldritch Glaive).

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I hadn't interpreted it that way, but perhaps you are right ?
    A normal Hideous Blow can only be done as a standard action. I had interpreted Quickened Hideous Blow as being able to make that into an attack; because (I reasoned) the Quickening only effected the Blast component.

Still that means that, other than 3/day, you may either full attack or use Hideous Blow.

Ed:
    Whilst you can take Quickened Spell Like Ability for any invokation, taking Quickened Spell Like Ability on a blast shape or essence is somewhat pointless since they are effectivley free actions anyway.
    The feat you actualy need is Quickened Spell Like Ability[Eldritch Blast], on which you can apply any shape or essence for which you qualify by virtue of your caster level [see MM p304].
    Last edited by nedz; 2011-02-11 at 05:02 PM.
    π = 4

Warped Druid Handbook