New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

wink Wizard What-if Wullabaloo!

From the jerk who brought you the nauseating question about reach weapons and adjacent enemies who occupy farther squares comes new questions to boggle your brains!

1. What is the Concentration DC for maintaining a spell while being tripped? No damage, just being knocked prone. No specific listing in PHB.

2. A belligerent arcanist was affected by the nightmare curse of a Night twist, or is being nightmare-spammed by some nasty rivals. They plan to strike back by staying awake so long, they wait out the 24 hour duration of the spell and just have a peaceful, waking 8-hour rest to prepare some vengeance spells.

Does it work? If the arcanist could deal with the fatigue, could they clear their mind without any regular sleep?
    Bonus: Does the 24-hour duration of Nightmare begin the moment they get to sleep, making it only a mere 16 hours to wait before preparing spells?

Adjudicators... ADJUDICATE!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Wizard What-if Wullabaloo!

There is no official DC for being tripped. About the closest you could adjudicate would be to rule it "violent motion" as defined in the concentration skill description. Thats if you feel like it should have a check at all. There is no penalty for casting a spell while prone, unlike attacking while prone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    There is no penalty for casting a spell while prone, unlike attacking while prone.
    Which I find ridiculous. Surely gestures are going to be hard to make when you're on the ground..
    "If I went around saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint threw a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..." - Dennis, aged 37 - Executive Officer of the Week, Anarcho-syndicalist commune, somewhere in Britain.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    2. A belligerent arcanist was affected by the nightmare curse of a Night twist, or is being nightmare-spammed by some nasty rivals. They plan to strike back by staying awake so long, they wait out the 24 hour duration of the spell and just have a peaceful, waking 8-hour rest to prepare some vengeance spells.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD: Nightmare
    If the recipient is awake when the spell begins, you can choose to cease casting (ending the spell) or to enter a trance until the recipient goes to sleep, whereupon you become alert again and complete the casting. If you are disturbed during the trance, you must succeed on a Concentration check as if you were in the midst of casting a spell or the spell ends.
    The casting isn't completed until our dear belligerent arcanist actually falls asleep. If he stays awake, he forces the spell to be wasted or for the enemies targeting him to stay awake as well.

A Night Twist seems to be able to 'finish' the spell immediately, whether the target's asleep or not. In that case, waiting it out would seem to make you immune... except that the Night Twist's curse doesn't have the 24 limit on its duration. Sucks to be you.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cog View Post
    The casting isn't completed until our dear belligerent arcanist actually falls asleep. If he stays awake, he forces the spell to be wasted or for the enemies targeting him to stay awake as well.

A Night Twist seems to be able to 'finish' the spell immediately, whether the target's asleep or not. In that case, waiting it out would seem to make you immune... except that the Night Twist's curse doesn't have the 24 limit on its duration. Sucks to be you.
    Yeah, a night twist's deathcurse sucks for arcane casters. It takes a limmited wish, wish, or miracle spell to end it, too.
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Cog View Post
    ... except that the Night Twist's curse doesn't have the 24 limit on its duration. Sucks to be you.
    Ah, but the text DOES say that it only prevents spellcasting for the next 24 hours! While it does say the events do repeat every night it must be assumed the authors meant night of sleep. Otherwise, you're completely safe sleeping during the day!