New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Clean-Up After A Wightpocalypse

I'm currently working on obliterating an army of approximately 10, 000 orcs. Many tactics have been suggested and among them are several variations of a Wightpocalypse. I'm currently a Factotum 3/Swash 3/Protean Adept 3 and I have a couple of questions:

1) How can I guarantee control over a Wight with a second level spell when it has a Will +5?

2) Does an increase of followers for a Wight constitute a rise in CR/HD?

3) How can I clean-up after a Wightpocalypse (destroy all the Wights) quick, cheap and easy?

Thanks.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Clean-Up After A Wightpocalypse

Re #3: I suggest making it rain holy water. (See spoiler #5).

Does it technically work? No. Would it be AWESOME? Yes.
    Last edited by Jarian; 2011-02-09 at 06:59 PM.
    My forum avatars appear to have decomposed in my absence. C'est la vie.
    Homebrewer's Signature
    If you use any of my homebrew, or even if you just have a strong opinion on it, please let me know. Feedback is always useful.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tibbaerrohwen View Post
    I'm currently working on obliterating an army of approximately 10, 000 orcs. Many tactics have been suggested and among them are several variations of a Wightpocalypse. I'm currently a Factotum 3/Swash 3/Protean Adept 3 and I have a couple of questions:

1) How can I guarantee control over a Wight with a second level spell when it has a Will +5?
    You don't. However, you can make it exceptionally statistically unlikely that the critter will pass all the saves you throw it's way. Just get out of reach of the critter (it can't fly, and has no ranged weapon proficiencies), and start burning wand charges at it. 35% chance per attempt, with a DC 13 wand vs. a +5 save (he needs an 8 to save, so a 1-7 is a win for you - about three or four charges, usually). Targeted spells have the benefit that they let you know whether or not they worked, so you can stop once you've got him under control for the next three days.

Do be warned, however, that Wights are intelligent, and even if that works, they're just rather friendly towards you....
    2) Does an increase of followers for a Wight constitute a rise in CR/HD?
    Not by RAW. Oddly.
    3) How can I clean-up after a Wightpocalypse (destroy all the Wights) quick, cheap and easy?
    If you could, so could the army you're attacking. Other than finding an Evil Cleric-8 to Command your general to have all his troops kill themselves, you're kinda out of luck.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

4. - Top - End - #4

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    You don't. However, you can make it exceptionally statistically unlikely that the critter will pass all the saves you throw it's way. Just get out of reach of the critter (it can't fly, and has no ranged weapon proficiencies), and start burning wand charges at it. 35% chance per attempt, with a DC 13 wand vs. a +5 save (he needs an 8 to save, so a 1-7 is a win for you - about three or four charges, usually). Targeted spells have the benefit that they let you know whether or not they worked, so you can stop once you've got him under control for the next three days.

Do be warned, however, that Wights are intelligent, and even if that works, they're just rather friendly towards you....
    Not by RAW. Oddly.If you could, so could the army you're attacking. Other than finding an Evil Cleric-8 to Command your general to have all his troops kill themselves, you're kinda out of luck.
    Would intelligent undead accept a command like that from the Wight General?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Would intelligent undead accept a command like that from the Wight General?
    Yes. See, your general's control of it's spawn is absolute. However, because it's merely friendly when under Charm Command Undead, it won't follow "suicidal or obviously harmful orders" - which, you know, ordering it to kill off it's entire fanatically-loyal army would be.

For that, you need to get someone who *can* convince the beast to follow obviously self-destructive orders - which a Cleric who can Rebuke or Command the wight can do (Control Undead will also work, but requires a 13th level wizard's help - harder to get than an Evil Cleric-8... although the evil Cleric-8 might just want to take over the undead army, rather than disposing of it...).
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I wonder how you start a wightpocalypse though. Assuming you don't mean 10,000 orc combatants at least 1,000 of those would be able to fight and a couple hundred might be level 3 or higher. You better believe most of those are going to try to squash the outbreak so you'd need a similar number of wights to get started.

EDIT: Oh it's an orc army. Ok you have maybe a couple thousand at level 3 or higher. That'll take a lot of wights to start an outbreak that won't get squashed before they get multiplying.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2011-02-10 at 03:42 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Instead of getting an Evil cleric-8, why not get a negative-channeling Neutral cleric-8?

Hopefully, such a character would be less likely to take control of the army.
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

An epic-level Good Cleric with the epic feat that auto-turns or destroys anything within a radius will automatically destroy any wight who gets within 30' of him. How to convince him is easy... stop the Wightopocalypse or the world will end.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm assuming that you are the same one who started the 1 vs 1000 thread.

If this is the case why bother cleaning them up, instead bait the wight army towards the prohuman overlord's territory and suddenly two of your problems are taking care of each other.

To do this is as easy as using the aforementioned neutral or evil clerics. It would be relatively easy to convince a nonhuman cleric that destroying a prohuman empire is within it's best interest.
    Originally posted by DuncanIdaho488 "Tomb of Horrors drinking game? BRILLIANT!"

10. - Top - End - #10

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Enterti View Post
    I'm assuming that you are the same one who started the 1 vs 1000 thread.

If this is the case why bother cleaning them up, instead bait the wight army towards the prohuman overlord's territory and suddenly two of your problems are taking care of each other.

To do this is as easy as using the aforementioned neutral or evil clerics. It would be relatively easy to convince a nonhuman cleric that destroying a prohuman empire is within it's best interest.
    Unlike myself, the pro-human overlord (Francis) would undoubtedly have the ability to bend them to his will, via power Cleric or what-have-you.

In response to some of the above, I don't really need to have only a handful of Wights take out all 10,000 orcs, because the orcs will be diseased or poisoned as well. This is mostly to deplete their numbers before I need to face them.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Yes. See, your general's control of it's spawn is absolute. However, because it's merely friendly when under Charm Command Undead, it won't follow "suicidal or obviously harmful orders" - which, you know, ordering it to kill off it's entire fanatically-loyal army would be.

For that, you need to get someone who *can* convince the beast to follow obviously self-destructive orders - which a Cleric who can Rebuke or Command the wight can do (Control Undead will also work, but requires a 13th level wizard's help - harder to get than an Evil Cleric-8... although the evil Cleric-8 might just want to take over the undead army, rather than disposing of it...).
    Kill off? Why would you want to do that?

No, you USE this army by convincing the general to kill off more things you need killed. The fact that your previous actions resulted in his existence and army in the first place should be a positive modifier.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

The Cleansing Light of Pelor, in DMG2, can technically nuke the Wights rather quickly. You do need to have a hundred clerics of Pelor that can cast Daylight, though, and since you did cause a Wightocalypse, I doubt you have the Pelorians on your side.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

13. - Top - End - #13

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Kill off? Why would you want to do that?

No, you USE this army by convincing the general to kill off more things you need killed. The fact that your previous actions resulted in his existence and army in the first place should be a positive modifier.
    Because of the Exalted nature of my party this isn't really an option. I need to destroy all the evidence that this assault ever occured.

Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post
    The Cleansing Light of Pelor, in DMG2, can technically nuke the Wights rather quickly. You do need to have a hundred clerics of Pelor that can cast Daylight, though, and since you did cause a Wightocalypse, I doubt you have the Pelorians on your side.
    I agree with you; it would be effective but is highly unlikely. Ironically, part of a sub-adventure in the near future involves meeting some Clerics maintaining a Cleansing Light of Pelor.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

I reckon the best thing to do is order all teh wights to surround clerics and have them unconscious so they instantly fail turning checks and the cleric can destroy them.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Because of the Exalted nature of my party this isn't really an option. I need to destroy all the evidence that this assault ever occured.
    Using a Wightpocalypse - for any purpose - seems rather unexalted.

16. - Top - End - #16

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by linebackeru View Post
    Using a Wightpocalypse - for any purpose - seems rather unexalted.
    My character is not Exalted, though most of the party is either Exalted or LG, and, should he actually resort to a Wightpocalypse, it would be for a personal vendetta.
    The party should not become aware of his activities, if all goes according to plan