Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Making a sentient golem (3.5)

Trying to come up with a secondary BBEG, should my main one for my campaign fall. I was thinking, what about a sentient golem? A Flesh Golem maybe, with levels in Scout and Rogue or something (Want them to be like a stalking type of enemy, climbing around in the air ducts and whatnot).

So, anyway, how would I go about doing this? Is there a template or something that I could use, or would I just Rule 0 it?

Here's a pic of what I'm kinda going for (Warning, kinda spooky)

Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome avatar by linklele
    "The Barrier World" Google Doc
    A post-post apocalyptic steampunk magitech Pathfinder setting.
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome avatar by Akrim.elf and Ceika

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Making a sentient golem (3.5)

hmm... depends on the flavor you want. easiest would be an incarnate construct warforged, but that's not a construct anymore, that's a humanoid. So, yes, Flesh Golem seems to be the thing to do
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

3. - Top - End - #3

I suppose what I'm going for is something/one that is just totally flippin' out of their mind. Like....The Joker, but less coherent I suppose. Climbing through the rafters, picking off people, tearing them apart, turning them into disturbing "art objects".

So I suppose....

(Xenomorph (Aliens) + The Joker + Sander Cohen) all wrapped up in a stitched together little bundle. With Blindsense/sight.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

The Cadaver Golem from Heroes of Horror is an intelligent, body-part snatching monster that gains the abilities related to the body parts it grabs.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Graft a flesh golem arm on someone?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

6. - Top - End - #6

Ooh, that could work...

If it has an Int score, it can take Class levels right?

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Graft a flesh golem arm on someone?
    I had considered that, but Half-Flesh Golems can't run D=
    Last edited by Silus; 2011-02-09 at 07:44 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, while Blasphemies are technically undead, they are very Frankenstein's Monster-esque. Source is Libris Mortis (?)

Quote Originally Posted by Silus View Post
    Ooh, that could work...

Yep.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-02-09 at 07:44 PM.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Ooh, that could work...

Yep - although NPC's are a bit looser than PC's, in that they just need a CR, not an ECL.

However, golems are created in the same way magic items are, and there are rules for Intelligent Magic Items.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Now you have me thinking about shaping a living tree into the form of a giant human and casting Awaken on it...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Yep - although NPC's are a bit looser than PC's, in that they just need a CR, not an ECL.

However, golems are created in the same way magic items are, and there are rules for Intelligent Magic Items.
    I'm a little hazy on the whole Rule 0 thing: If I make a NPC from a monster (Cadaver Golem in this case), I can mess with the ability scores to my heart's content, right? Within reason of course.

I've never been really clear on the limits of a DM.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I guess technically you can. Usually, however, I find its base ability modifiers and add them to the elite array. That's just me, though.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm a little hazy on the whole Rule 0 thing: If I make a NPC from a monster (Cadaver Golem in this case), I can mess with the ability scores to my heart's content, right? Within reason of course.

The baseline ability scores of every monster are 11, 11, 11, 10, 10, 10 (you can derive the racial ability bonuses based on these values, even if the monster entry doesn't list them.)

Monsters with class levels are usually assumed to have the elite array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8), plus their racial bonuses. Giving a monster an elite array without class levels usually have a CR +1.

I usually a high point buy when constructing villains (BBEGs). Boss monsters and more generic mooks don't get the same treatment.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

You'll likely want to read through the Improving Monsters section, then.

Your base Flesh Golem is CR-7. The intelligent item creation rules don't list a CR change, but between the feats, skills, and special power(s), I'd personally be inclined to eyeball it at around +1 (Lesser powers only) or +2 (Greater Powers), or +3 (Dedicated powers).

When you add class levels, you automatically add the elite array, as well (15/14/13/12/10/8), as well as NPC wealth. Your construct doesn't have a Con score, so put the 8 there.

When you're adding non-associated class levels (class levels that don't particularly play to the critter's strengths), then it's +1 CR for every 2 class levels, to a max of the critter's racial hit dice (after which, it's +1 CR per level). Associated class levels (class levels that do play to the critter's strengths) are +1 CR each from the get-go.

So a minimally intelligent Flesh Golem with 8 levels in Rogue (non-associated) would probable be around CR 12, if I'm guesstimating right....
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

So, anyway, how would I go about doing this? Is there a template or something that I could use, or would I just Rule 0 it?
    There's the incarnate construct spell in Savage Species, which grants the incarnate construct template and changes the type to either humanoid or giant. However, the creature also loses all its Special Attacks/Qualities, which is a pretty substantial nerf for golems. You're actually much better off taking some other creature and applying the Half-Flesh-Golem template (MM2/3.5Upd). This reduces Int, but doesn't eliminate it completely.

Another method would be to add the Pseudonatural template (Complete Arcane or Lords of Madness), which grants a minimum Int of 3 and changes your type to Outsider. From there, you can add Half-Dragon (Int +2), then Spellwarped (Int +4) and/or Phrenic (Int +2).

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Isn't there an Awaken Construct spell in Spell Compendium? If not just slap the normal Awaken spell on a flesh golem. Quick and simple.

16. - Top - End - #16

Planetar

Note that Golems are technically items and creatures at the same time (they are created via the magic item creation rules). The creation of intelligent magic items is possible. Just use the rules given in the section of the DMG, and your intelligent golem will even have a few spell-likes to surprise the party with

17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I believe there's a spell for awakening constructs, a template from Dragonlance's Bestiary of Krynn that gives sapience and dedicates a construct to a specified Domain of a particular Deity, and I think a feat from Dragon Magazine that builds up an intelligence based upon the creator's CL. Rudimentary Intelligence or something.

Yup. Rudimentary Intelligence from Dragon #327 gives the GolemConstruct half its creator's CL in intelligence.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2011-02-10 at 03:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Yoiks, with all the ways to advance CL, you could make a golem smarter then you are!
    An idea that might be funny is to have an golem who has an intelligence, but its separate from the main body, not actually directly controlling it, the main body being animal level at best, and a bit ornery to boot, certainly stubborn and argumentative. "No, no, turn left, left I tell you, you dumb lump of clay/flesh/ iron/ paper/ brains/ incarnum/ what have you!"
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2011-02-10 at 04:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    An idea that might be funny is to have an golem who has an intelligence, but its separate from the main body, not actually directly controlling it, the main body being animal level at best, and a bit ornery to boot, certainly stubborn and argumentative. "No, no, turn left, left I tell you, you dumb lump of clay/flesh/ iron/ paper/ brains/ incarnum/ what have you!"
    I thought of these when you mentioned this. Could be good inspiration.

Spoiler
    Show

I used to do avatars on request, feel free to use them.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

All I can think of from that scenario is handle animal for fun and profit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

There's also the Awaken Construct and Incarnate Construct spells in the SS. Incarnate Construct also has a (over LA'd) template to go with it. I forget what pages those are on, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

22. - Top - End - #22

Just use Warforged and describe it as your picture.

The key for its creepiness: It really really wants to be alive, so it took its victims skins and mended them together as a suit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Esser-Z View Post
    We can peform: dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind. Because your friends don't perform: Dance and if they don't perform: dance, well, they're no friends of mine!
    Awesome avatar by Ninjaman!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FelixG View Post
    The key for its creepiness: It really really wants to be alive, so it took its victims skins and mended them together as a suit.
    For extra added creepiness: Name it Pinocchio. (Because it wants to be a real boy.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

You can cast animate object on a corpse.

Awaken it/Incarnate Construct.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FelixG View Post
    Just use Warforged and describe it as your picture.

There was actually such a warforged in an Eberron adventure once. It had detached eyeballs hanging from its head like dreadlocks, and a long, lolling decaying tongue pinned to the inside of its mouth.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Magic of Incarnum has the Soulfused Construct template, which grants intelligence and the (living construct) subtype.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

You could just use the Half-Golem template from the Monster Manual 2. It's kinda broken, but still usable.

After your players defeat said half-golem, send another more powerful one after them.
    I underwent "Specialized High Intensity Training" for the English language. My training focused on avoiding abbreviations and acronyms. Not all of them are a good thing.