Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon

Thread: War Scythe

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default War Scythe

I've been looking around a bit for stats for a war scythe matching this type of weapon: War Scythe.

If anyone could point out a weapon that would be similar and I could substitute the stats for it, or a good suggestion for a homebrew stats it'd be much appreciated.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: War Scythe

As far as D&D goes, there's pretty much no reason not to give it glaive stats.

Alternatively, scythe stats, dropping the tripping part, which was anyway slightly unbalanced compared to falchion, for example.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

The weapon already exists. Did you think the martial weapon called scythe is a farmer's tool?

If that's not fancy enough for you, being from the core books, try Talenta Sharrash.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    The weapon already exists. Did you think the martial weapon called scythe is a farmer's tool?

If that's not fancy enough for you, being from the core books, try Talenta Sharrash.
    Eh, fluff and art describes it as more the farming tool, despite the clumsiness there of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Daemon

The Fauchard (this is from the Pathfinder SRD) might be something for you. But really, in spite of whatever the fluff on the War Scythe might say it is still a decent weapon.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Despite the illustration in the PHB, the Scythe is supposed to be a war scythe, not a farmers tool. Whether the stats accurately reflect this is open for debate.

As noted above, glaive or fauchard are pretty good matches, too.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Looks like a naginata.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Well, thing about the scythe in the PHB is that, as has been stated, it is shown in illustration and fluff to be closer to the farmer's tool (though "balanced a strengthened for war"). And while that's not entirely law as far as what my character has to be carrying there's a certain amount of other people's perception that comes into play with it. Most people will think of a grim reaper scythe

Of course when it comes down to it, it's just a name and some numbers, but I'd rather take a similar weapon and use those stats with the name to differentiate it, rather than just alter the name and use the same stats. It's kind of a personal flavor thing.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. Naginata is pretty close, just with the blade curved the other way.

Which now that I spent some more time looking at weapons, I haven't noticed anything with reach and an expanded threat. Lots of x3 crits, but no 19-20/x2 crits. Would such a weapon be considered overpowered?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Hype View Post
    Which now that I spent some more time looking at weapons, I haven't noticed anything with reach and an expanded threat. Lots of x3 crits, but no 19-20/x2 crits. Would such a weapon be considered overpowered?
    Yeah, that's odd - I had a look, and I believe you're right.

Mechanically, 19-20/x2 is the same as 20/x3, so a reach weapon with 19-20/x2 should be fine.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Mechanically, 19-20/x2 is the same as 20/x3, so a reach weapon with 19-20/x2 should be fine.
    The mathematician in me has to object. A 19-20/x2 weapon is slightly superior, as any damage over what's necessary to kill a creature is wasted, so having more smaller crits "wastes" less damage than a few larger crits.

That said, D&D treats the two as equivalent, so just go with it.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.