New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Adventure ideas anyone?

My 12 year old sister recently took an interest in D&D(3.5). She has no/0 experience with D&D or any other tabletop games as such. She looked through the monster manual and decided to be a nymph druid. I took down a nymph to CR 1-ish for her to start with.(Adjustments for using as base race: +2 dex, cha, +1 racial mod to ref and will saves, modified unnatural beauty and such as is shown on the sheet under special abilities)

She will soon pick her animal companion, and I will soon be attempting to teach her how to choose her spells. My question is if anyone has neat ideas for a way to start an adventure for new player, who isn't a big combat guru, and isn't that great at soloing these types of RP problems/situations(yet) Since, she seems to be going the buffer route(not 100% sure yet, I'll see) I am considering adding a DM-PC to help her out. Any ideas for adventures or her level 1 feat are welcome.
    sheet

Thanks,
    Theos and Lily
    Last edited by theos911; 2011-02-10 at 07:31 PM.
    "A true blaster bard is one who uses a Pipe Organ and vocals combo with Stormsinger and Seeker of the Song. This is a Bard based blaster."?
    - Ratflail

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Adventure ideas anyone?

Here's some random plot hooks that could work for short games, if you're into writing your own adventures. If not, I recommend the 3e adventure series (Sunless Citadel, Forge of Fury, etc). They're meant for beginners.
    Last edited by dsmiles; 2011-02-10 at 08:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Consider using adventures that to most active players seem rather cliche. Throw in dragons, (I mean, it's in the name, and can be a big hook for some newbies) and let roll.

May I suggest having an orc tribe allied with a green dragon threatening her home forest?
    Spoiler
    Show

Hetalia FTW!

WILL DM FOR FOOD teh lulz!
    Th story of my DMing, in blog form!: http://matterofdice.wordpress.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by geekgrrl View Post
    EDIT: AGH, ninja post!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    I agree with this man.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Step one is to get more players. See if she wants to invite a couple of her friends over. A difficult encounter-- any difficult encounter-- can be overwhelming for a new player who doesn't happen to think of the answer.

The danger of a DM-PC is that, if she needs it, she can quickly become a passive witness to you solving your own traps and encounters. If she needs support, don't make it a DM-PC; make it a straightforward NPC. But the ideal is to have other PCs.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jay R's got the right idea you REALLY need have her friend over. This comes from personal experience of trying that with a twn year old.