New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default [3.5] Negative Skill Bonus in int...

How does that effect skill-points?

For example, if i had a -2 bonus, and i was a fighter, it would be 2+ -2 * 4

But that also means, each level i get 2+ -2 and never gain skillpoints...

So, does the negative just count as a 0 or a 1?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: [3.5] Negative Skill Bonus in int...

You always get at least 1 per level, no matter what.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    You always get at least 1 per level, no matter what.
    And, consequently, a minimum of 4 at first level.

Also, a negative Int modifier does affect the Human Bonus.

So if you had an Int modifier of -2 and were a Human Fighter, you would still only get 1 skill point per level.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

You always get at least one skill point per level, even if your intelligence score is low enough to otherwise drop the number of your skill points to zero.

PHB states as much, but I can't find the passage on srd at the moment.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

So, if i had a -2 bonus and i was a fighter, i would get 1 skillpoint per level then?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Apophis775 View Post
    So, if i had a -2 bonus and i was a fighter, i would get 1 skillpoint per level then?
    Yes. Just like negative con and hp per level

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Class that get few skill points are the best ones to do a negative Int mod; you lose the least.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Just to clarify, you can add your own bonuses and penalties in the most beneficial order. Therefore, a Human Fighter with a -2 Int modifier could still get two skill points/level. Apply the -2 penalty first, it cannot reduce your skill points/level below 1, then add your Human bonus afterward and it goes back up to 2.

9. - Top - End - #9

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    Just to clarify, you can add your own bonuses and penalties in the most beneficial order. Therefore, a Human Fighter with a -2 Int modifier could still get two skill points/level. Apply the -2 penalty first, it cannot reduce your skill points/level below 1, then add your Human bonus afterward and it goes back up to 2.
    Uh, no... since the "minimum 1 skill point" clause is not a bonus or penalty it is applied last.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

No offence, but if I was DM and you came up with an idea like that you'd get a face full of DMG.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    You always get at least one skill point per level, even if your intelligence score is low enough to otherwise drop the number of your skill points to zero.

PHB states as much, but I can't find the passage on srd at the moment.
    Just for reference, it's here.

Intelligence determines how well your character learns and reasons. This ability is important for wizards because it affects how many spells they can cast, how hard their spells are to resist, and how powerful their spells can be. It’s also important for any character who wants to have a wide assortment of skills.

You apply your character’s Intelligence modifier to:

* The number of languages your character knows at the start of the game.
    * The number of skill points gained each level. (But your character always gets at least 1 skill point per level.)
    * Appraise, Craft, Decipher Script, Disable Device, Forgery, Knowledge, Search, and Spellcraft checks. These are the skills that have Intelligence as their key ability.

A wizard gains bonus spells based on her Intelligence score. The minimum Intelligence score needed to cast a wizard spell is 10 + the spell’s level.

An animal has an Intelligence score of 1 or 2. A creature of humanlike intelligence has a score of at least 3.
    BEEP.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

No offence, but if I was DM and you came up with an idea like that you'd get a face full of DMG.
    Really over one skill point per level? I am not going to argue the RAW (I have a feeling if there isn't a clear cut rule on this it will be one of those hellfire warlock/strongheart vest questions) but in terms of balance making a character get his bonus from being human just so that he can get 2 skill points per level does not sound like the sort of abuse to get a DMG to the face.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

That's a bit harsh, I think, but it likely would forestall a bunch of other self-serving twistings of the rules in the future.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MeeposFire View Post
    Really over one skill point per level? I am not going to argue the RAW (I have a feeling if there isn't a clear cut rule on this it will be one of those hellfire warlock/strongheart vest questions) but in terms of balance making a character get his bonus from being human just so that he can get 2 skill points per level does not sound like the sort of abuse to get a DMG to the face.
    When somebody tries to pull trick like that that's a warning flag for me. A flag that says, it's not going to stop there.

Better get the idea out of the head in question at the very start

15. - Top - End - #15

Maybe he wants to get into a PrC before epic levels?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

When somebody tries to pull trick like that that's a warning flag for me. A flag that says, it's not going to stop there.

Better get the idea out of the head in question at the very start
    What he said. It is a symptom of a likely larger issue which almost assuredly lead to an un-fun game.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

FWIW, I agree with this reading of the rules, and it's how we always run it in our games.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Me too.

Oh wait no, apparently I'm cheating.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

What he said. It is a symptom of a likely larger issue which almost assuredly lead to an un-fun game.
    How so? He is merely trying to get what is rightfully his (2 skill points/lv), not break the game.

No offense, but that seems like a very odd attitude for a DM to have. Just because a player tries to engage in a rules discussion with you means he is trying to abuse the rules and break the game? He is supposed to just sit quietly and accept your final decision, even though it may not be the right one?

That said, here is what sean reynolds has to say on the matter (I know I read this somewhere).

http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfile...ons_races.html

The relevant part.
    Human Bonus Skill Points
    Human bonus skill points should be applied after any Intelligence penalties to skills. It’s more advantageous to the character to do the +1 human point after the Intelligence penalty, because a human character with a big Intelligence penalty would reduce you to 1 skill point (the minimum), and then your human bonus would bring that up to 2.
    If you applied the bonus point first, that would penalize the low-Int guys even more than they already are. Applying it first, in effect, negates the advantage that humans get for their bonus skill points. It’s a corner case, but an important point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I can never understand WOTC's reasoning; taking RAW as a whole is like grabbing a book filled with fortune cookie sayings and basing your life off of them.
    My humble efforts at re-cr'ing MM2
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215727

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Me too.

Oh wait no, apparently I'm cheating.
    The sheer audacity of expecting two skill points a level on your 8 INT human character! I call munchkin!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Changing from 1 skill point per level to 1 skill point per level is... not exactly "getting 1 extra skill point at each additional level".
    Last edited by Douglas; 2011-02-11 at 07:42 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Thats because IIRC you DO apply penalties/bonuses in whichever order suits your purposes. Hence the time honored trick of lowering a stat to 3, having a racial drop it below 3, but because 3 is the minimum for PC's it automatically goes back up to 3 (this is at least, our reading).

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Saint GoH View Post
    Thats because IIRC you DO apply penalties/bonuses in whichever order suits your purposes. Hence the time honored trick of lowering a stat to 3, having a racial drop it below 3, but because 3 is the minimum for PC's it automatically goes back up to 3 (this is at least, our reading).
    I am pretty sure only int is subject to the minimum of 3. An elf who rolled 3 con would end up having 1 con (no biggie if he subsequently goes necropolitan).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I can never understand WOTC's reasoning; taking RAW as a whole is like grabbing a book filled with fortune cookie sayings and basing your life off of them.
    My humble efforts at re-cr'ing MM2
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215727

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Human Racial Traits
    4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra skill point at each additional level.
    That could be read to mean "extra after whatever you get from your class, regardless of your Int score." So even a Human Fighter with 3 Int would get 5 skill points at 1st level, and 2 every level thereafter.

Either way, I don't think it's abusive and necessarily leads to insane powergaming.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Runestar View Post
    I am pretty sure only int is subject to the minimum of 3. An elf who rolled 3 con would end up having 1 con (no biggie if he subsequently goes necropolitan).
    You know, I didn't think this was the case, but I just checked the PHB (p.11), and you're correct - Int is the only score that can't go below 3 for a PC.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

You could argue that all bonus/penalties are added, and then a non-math effect is applied last, in this case, after all is calculated, of you still has zero or less skill points, you get one skill point.

HOWEVER, the human feature says you gain 1 (4 on 1st level) extra skill points as a racial bonus. It doesn't say that it's calculated with inteligence. So, you get class skill points, remove the int's penalty, move it to minimum 1, and THEN applies the human bonus.

Really, the DM and the group just need to agree on what is better, because I don't think that 1 skill point will really matter much, as most meleers' skill list just sucks anyway.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Man could you imagine an 8 Int fighter who could train a horse AND ride it?

I mean that would just be ridiculous.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Man could you imagine an 8 Int fighter who could train a horse AND ride it?

I mean that would just be ridiculous.
    Next you are going to tell me that he can count past the number 9 and understands that he is just a meat-shield for the wizard and not a 'valued' member of the team.
    Amazing avatar by Ceika
    “A player is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisly when the plot dictates he should.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    You're the Stalin of dice!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

As everyone else has commented, you always get at least 1 skill point per level no matter how low your int is.

30. - Top - End - #30

Bonus skill points go after minimum of 1 from intelligence penalty. There are other references that it does. I forget if its RoD and Drag Comp, or BoED, but I have seen it.