New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Factotum Questions

I've got a couple of questions about the Factotum class from Dungeonscape.

This is an opinion question, what weapon do you think is best for a 1st level Factotum without a feat slot?

What defines a time when a Factotum can regain inspiration points?
    Last edited by tanderson11; 2011-02-11 at 06:43 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Factotum Questions

1) Quickrazor is great if you're a Gnome and feel like taking Iaijutsu Focus. Otherwise, it depends where you're planning to. Factotums make wonderful archers, but it does take a couple feats. If you're planning to dip Swashbuckler 3 (not a bad call, as with the right feats your Factotum really only needs Int and Dex, which are the stats Swashbucklers cater to), grab something finessable. Generally, racial weapons are slightly better than non-racial weapons, so if you're anything but human, look into that.

2) About a minute, outside of combat.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

#1. If your DM will allow you to have Iajitsu Focus as a class skill (from Oriental Adventures) and you're okay with being a Gnome (especially a Whisper Gnome, which probably ties for first with Human as far as Factotum races go), get yourself a Gnome Quickrazor. Get yourself a high Iajitsu Focus modifier and go crazy with the ability to draw and sheath the quickrazor as free actions. =D

#2. According to the book, they refill when an encounter starts. That depends a good deal on what "encounter" means, though. Personally, I would follow the precedent set by skill tricks in Complete Scoundrel and rule that IPs reset once a minute by default.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

1) Whatever you want. Unless you're grabbing exotic weapons, it won't matter that much. Maybe something with a high critical multiplier (like Scimitar) over something with high base damage (like Longsword).

2) ToB page 38 suggests 5 minutes for all martial adepts, and I see no reason why it shouldn't be the same for the Factotum.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    1) Whatever you want. Unless you're grabbing exotic weapons, it won't matter that much. Maybe something with a high critical multiplier (like Scimitar) over something with high base damage (like Longsword).

2) ToB page 38 suggests 5 minutes for all martial adepts, and I see no reason why it shouldn't be the same for the Factotum.
    Inspiration points? In my Tome of Battle?

Apparently it's more likely than I thought. You sure about that?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Zawisza View Post
    Inspiration points? In my Tome of Battle?

Apparently it's more likely than I thought. You sure about that?
    It does seem to be a clarification of "per-encounter" in a 3.5 setting. Both ToB and Factota have "per-encounter" powers, and almost nothing else does. Thus, I'd consider it fair to share the definition between the two. It's not strictly necessary, but does make life easier if you have both in your party. It would be bizarre for a Factotum/Warblade to have different recharge lengths for his different abilities, when nothing actually forces them to be different and both seem to follow the same logic.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

1. I personally like the Guisarme. Int to trip plus the bonus will make you extremely happy. 2. Depends on how you define an encounter. I say an encounter is whenever a new situation presents itself. You detect a trap? Refill your IPs. The encounter ends when you disable it. Later, you have to convince the princess to follow you? New, social, encounter. Refill your IPs. Combat starts? New encounter. Refill your IPs. Balanced by only one/day level to skills. And otherwise you're useless in combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Current characters: None, looking for a game.

Homebrew!

Wow, it's been a while. Sorry for the unexplained absence!