New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Splitting up PCs

This isn't a Oh no, the split up, how do I prevent them from dying thread.

It is a "I want to split them up, how do I do this?" thread. I am curious if you guys have any good methods for it whenever you have the rare occasion that you want them to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Splitting up PCs

One surprisingly effective method is to have a barrier that only lets a certain type of creature in - such as about, say, half the party. Another good one is during a fight, you have the characters necessitate going off in different directions to engage the enemy, then you have a wall fall between them (or they fall into separate pits, that works too). Essentially, you just have to create a way that the players aren't able to get back to their compatriots - at least not easily.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Have a town that needs defending but has two gates; have a wall get disintegrated or knocked down by a siege weapon between the gates. Alternatively have a timed quest where two things have to be done faster than a single group could do them.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

I hope this is at low level because Dimension door, teleport, heck, even Anklets of Translocation make splitting up a party forcibly really hard
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post

DM says: WHY!? WHY!? WHY?!
    DM means: NO! NO! NO!!!
    Player hears: GOOD JOB PLAYER! DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Do the PCs have any personal plots going, or is everyone following the main one?

If they have their own problems, like kidnapped parents or something, make them make the choice between following a really good lead on that, or staying with the rest of the party.

For example, while trawling through a shady nobles house, they find details of a slaving operation that mentions the name of [PC-with-missing-family-members] hometown. This note hints that the slaves are being taken in a direction far, far away from the current main events of the Plot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Have two simultaneous important events that need to be taken care of as soon as possible?

Really, that's how %90 of the split ups happen in all works of media.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

My PCs split rather naturally when they hit towns, and just last session, I had one dragged off by a voidmind werewolf cause he went to the bar alone(it helped that he was the new player in the group, but still)
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Have a town that needs defending but has two gates; have a wall get disintegrated or knocked down by a siege weapon between the gates. Alternatively have a timed quest where two things have to be done faster than a single group could do them.
    both of these are good
    or be like my dm and say
    OMG a magical portal splits up the partY!!
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

The next time [a Caster Class] casts a spell, it turns out that they're in some sort of Wild Magic area! Gasp! The magic fizzles, pops, crackles and all those other cereal sounds, resulting in the group being teleported. Shockingly, a Wild Magic area isn't easy to direct and the group is somewhat scattered with no way to find their compatriots.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)