New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Shifting and Anti-Magic Zones

I'm playing a Shifter (Barbarian/Warshaper/Were-Touched Master) in an Eberron game.
    However a recent encounter with a Beholder seemed to show up a bit of a problem. I SUCK IN ANTI-MAGIC ZONES !
    According to the G.M. AMZ's mean I can't Shift which means no Shifting stat advances, no claws, no use of my WarShaper abilities, no use of my Shifter feats and no use of my Were-Touched Master abilities.
    So my questions: Is the G.M. right ?
    and if he is is there anything I can do about it ?
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Shifting and Anti-Magic Zones

If he is, then not without being a servant of Mystra as far as I can recall. ...Most ways of defeating AMF require one ot be a dedicated caster-type... :/

..Hmm... Well, first thing, is it an EX ability? Because if it's an Extraordinary ability, then he's just flat wrong without some kind of special exception.

I'm AFB or I'd just check it myself.

...I Think warshaper is Supernatural though, so one wouldn't be able to access it in an AMF. Whether warshaper things applied before AMFing stay in effect is beyond my recollection at the moment.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2011-02-12 at 08:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I dont have a copy of my books but is a Shifters shape changing ability an EX or SU ability.

If its SU, your GM is correct and it is stopped at an AMF, if its EX then your still golden, though any SU abilities you may have are still nullified

Edit: Sword Sage'd
    Last edited by FelixG; 2011-02-12 at 08:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Esser-Z View Post
    We can peform: dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind. Because your friends don't perform: Dance and if they don't perform: dance, well, they're no friends of mine!
    Awesome avatar by Ninjaman!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Shifting is a SU ability
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    Shifting is a SU ability
    Then yes, your GM is correct that it is disabled in an AMF.

Perhaps pick up a ranged weapon and shoot inside? There is not much you can do in this situation...

AMFs are an emanation so, you could maybe do a variant on the hat trick to get close and attack, but at worst it would make you count as blind against him.
    We can peform: dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind. Because your friends don't perform: Dance and if they don't perform: dance, well, they're no friends of mine!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FelixG View Post
    Then yes, your GM is correct that it is disabled in an AMF.

Perhaps pick up a ranged weapon and shoot inside? There is not much you can do in this situation...

AMFs are an emanation so, you could maybe do a variant on the hat trick to get close and attack, but at worst it would make you count as blind against him.
    Hat Trick ?

7. - Top - End - #7

Hat Trick ?
    an Emanation is like a burst spell in the fact that it can not effect people who have total cover

Total cover is achieved when they have no line of effect to you, so if you have something large around you (like a big hat or box) then the AMF will not effect you or abilities.

This is called the hat trick because a caster could shrink a large sized box or something similar down to about the size of a hat and wear it. If they enter an AMF it will expand back to its full size protecting the caster to allow them to teleport away or escape before something bad happens to them.

Would be slightly more difficult to work this into melee but with some creative work im sure it can be figured out :D

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

The GMs probably right.

Why not lure your enemy outside the AMF? I did the opposite once, luring this giant slug-thing into an AMF to make it easier to defeat...

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadn4ught View Post
    The GMs probably right.

Why not lure your enemy outside the AMF? I did the opposite once, luring this giant slug-thing into an AMF to make it easier to defeat...
    Because the AMF moves with the caster, so you cant lure someone away from themselves

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Just get a tower shield and you should be safe.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    That would let him use some abilities but wouldn't allow him to attack at the same time.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

That would let him use some abilities but wouldn't allow him to attack at the same time.
    That's why I said he would be safe. I didn't say he would beat anyone.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

That's why I said he would be safe. I didn't say he would beat anyone.
    Of limited use then

So run away and use a bow would seem to be my best option

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Of limited use then

So run away and use a bow would seem to be my best option
    Yep. Grab the tower shield, get the cover, get away from the antimagic field, drop the shield, pelt them with arrows.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

No rare magic items that render you immune to an AMF then ?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Beholder

Was trying to locate a way around this, but apparently the tower shield requires you to forfeit attacks to gain cover, and you are unable to bash with the tower shield. I see nothing which alters this wording either, as would be amusing to see someone charging about with a tower shield with permanent total cover flattening foes.

17. - Top - End - #17

No rare magic items that render you immune to an AMF then ?
    Sorta, but not really so easily. Only thing I can think of that solves AMF for melee is Iron Heart Surge manevuer.

You could get a Iron Heart Vest from ToB to get Iron Heart Surge. However, you need another Iron Heart maneuver to qualify. You could either try to get differently slotted Iron Heart item or burn a feat on Martial Study. A level of Warblade would also work.
    Fair warning: I edit my posts fairly continuously, sometimes adding substantial amounts in the period immediately after I post originally. I blame grad school instilling a constant need to revise.

18. - Top - End - #18

This is the best advice you're going to get.

If it's any consolation, everybody other than VoP monks suck in Anti-Magic Fields.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Heroes of Horror is only 1.8 pounds. By comparison, the DMG is a hefty 2.6 pounds, making it by far the more powerful book.

19. - Top - End - #19

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fox Box Socks View Post
    This is the best advice you're going to get.

If it's any consolation, everybody other than VoP monks suck in Anti-Magic Fields.
    And, well, VoP monks are... monks.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #20

This means that your choices are either merely sucking in AMFs or sucking all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Heroes of Horror is only 1.8 pounds. By comparison, the DMG is a hefty 2.6 pounds, making it by far the more powerful book.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

1.Knowledge (Dungeoneering) check to figure out the Antimagic is created from the beholder's central eye.

2. Stab the Beholder in its central eye.

3. No more AMF

~

The only thing I don't get is how your character isn't stronger in an AMF than a beholder when all of the beholder's good abilities are Supernatural and it suppresses those when it suppresses yours.

22. - Top - End - #22

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HunterOfJello View Post
    The only thing I don't get is how your character isn't stronger in an AMF than a beholder when all of the beholder's good abilities are Supernatural and it suppresses those when it suppresses yours.
    Come to think of it, yeah. Rage is EX, after all... or do Shifters have a racial substitution level that takes the EX rage away and replaces it completely? But, even then, one needs to be strong as a barbarian anyway... And one needs some kind of weapon for times when one doesn't want to actually touch one's enemies.
    Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Come to think of it, yeah. Rage is EX, after all... or do Shifters have a racial substitution level that takes the EX rage away and replaces it completely? But, even then, one needs to be strong as a barbarian anyway... And one needs some kind of weapon for times when one doesn't want to actually touch one's enemies.
    Well my character did still have his Rage and a back-up weapon but the Beholder was screened by Hook Horrors. It wasn't until it dropped the AMF to try to zap us that we were able to get it.
    I wasn't totally useless but the drop in my potential was fairly horrendous

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fox Box Socks View Post
    Actually, all exalted feats are supernatural.