New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Ingnoring Feat Prerequisites - Best Feats

Inspired by the Martial Monk thread, of you could ignore prerequisites for feats, what feats would you take?

Epic Feats are not game, but pretty much anything else is.

2. - Top - End - #2

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Ingnoring Feat Prerequisites - Best Feats

Do you mean for the martial monk specifically, or for any character ever?

Martial Monk:
    - Bludgeoning Weapon Mastery doesn't make them not suck, but single-handedly eliminating the Flurry penalties and giving them +2 damage would go a long way towards making them keep up with other T4-5 classes (although by the text of the feat and the dubious nature of Martial Monk, I'm not sure it works)

- Getting Ki-blast at level 2 is interesting (with "Extra Stunning" to fuel it), although it looses its luster by level 5 or so unless you have a crazy high Wisdom.

- Elusive Target without the terrible pre-reqs could be nice for a lot of different classes.

In General:
    - Battlefield control builds can now dump Int and take Improved Trip, and snag Knock-down without being a Goliath or half-ogre.

- I'm pretty sure we'd actually see a bit more fighter/warblade/barbarian two-weapon fighters, now that the TWF line doesn't require an outrageous (and often wasted) Dexterity score.

- Robilar's Gambit at 1st level is yes.

- Leadership and Arcane Thesis at 1st level is a bit intimidating.

In general this seems to help martial types out a lot more. I approve. Are there any caster-specific feats that get a lot more broken without prerequisites? I guess Sudden Quicken Spell does, but it's still only 1/day.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tael View Post
    Inspired by the Martial Monk thread, of you could ignore prerequisites for feats, what feats would you take?

Epic Feats are not game, but pretty much anything else is.
    Vow of Poverty, minus the Exalted requirement and the requirement to get rid of / not use stuff?
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Vow of Poverty, minus the Exalted requirement and the requirement to get rid of / not use stuff?
    I'd say "this", especially considering you can get a bunch of extra feats from it which also wouldn't have any requirements. Yummy.
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2011-02-12 at 02:07 PM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Chicken Infested!
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

flyby attack

I can't recall if it is called greater or improved rapidstrike.

there are a host of monsterous feats that would be very tempting to take, especially the draconic ones.
    Last edited by WinWin; 2011-02-12 at 02:20 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7915 View Post
    - Leadership
    I'm unsure how useful your level -1 cohort would be at first level.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Spring Attack/Rapid Blitz: Actually useful and quite good if you're not stuck with Dodge, Mobility, and the annoyingly high BAB requirements on Bounding Assault and Rapid Blitz.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Chicken Infested!
    That's a flaw, though it would be nice to get another prerequisite-less feat.

On topic, I'd take something like Leadership. And Hidden Talent: Telempathic Projection. And then have my followers make Aid Another attempts on my Intimidate, Diplomacy, Bluff, Perform and Sense Motive checks against anyone I used my psionic power on, and general Aid Another attempts on everything I do.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    The prohibition against items is built into the feat itself, not its prereqs. So I would take WBL over this myself.

As for me, I'd grab the Monk Pressure Point feat and some Extra Stunning Fists to fuel it. I can get a variety of effects by poking myself (and offensive effects by poking others.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold Esq View Post
    If you work on your Charsima and leadership score a little, you can also get followers - which don't have the level cap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    The prohibition against items is built into the feat itself, not its prereqs. So I would take WBL over this myself.

As for me, I'd grab the Monk Pressure Point feat and some Extra Stunning Fists to fuel it. I can get a variety of effects by poking myself (and offensive effects by poking others.)
    Ah, that does put a crimp on things. Hmm....
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think you could find some use for a wight cohort.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Shield Slam's a good one. So is Improved Precise Shot.

Martial Stance? You'd probably still need to meet the IL requirement for the stance, though.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Some of the best feats don't even have difficult prerequisites. Particularly for spellcasters; Divine Metamagic, Uncanny Forethought and Craft Contingent Spell are all incredibly powerful or useful, and only require one easily-acquired feat each or simply a certain caster level in CCS's case. Expensive feat chains are generally a melee thing.

Anyway, I'd take Robilar's Gambit, Karmic Strike and Double-Hit. Putting all three of these on the same sheet pretty much dedicates the whole character to it because of their wide assortment of painful requirements. I guess you could also pull meaner-than-normal stuff with Aptitude Weapon abuse, which is pretty mean to begin with. Lightning Maces, Snap Kick, Roundabout Kick...

It would be nice to pick feat combos that didn't need 6 levels of bonus feat dips to do it in a reasonable time frame (ie before the tactic is obviated by the trends of high-level combat).
    Last edited by FMArthur; 2011-02-12 at 02:54 PM.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Consider the possibilities of integer underflow...
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

Pounce for everyone?
    Awesome avatar by Elder Tsofu. Thank you !

17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7915 View Post
    - Robilar's Gambit at 1st level is yes.
    On the contrary, giving your opponents +4 attack/damage against you is suicide at Level 1.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FMArthur View Post
    Some of the best feats don't even have difficult prerequisites. Particularly for spellcasters; Divine Metamagic,
    Divine Metamagic requires you have the metamagic feat in question (thanks to errata) - which, if you're doing a Divine Metamagic(Persistent Spell) build, means you've got two additional feats for Extra Turning (or one additional feat and an available domain choice).
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2011-02-12 at 03:40 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

AssassinGuy

lets be honest.

The best two feats in the game are:

1. Natural Spell
    2. Divine Metamagic

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Aemoh87 View Post
    lets be honest.

1. Natural Spell
    2. Divine Metamagic
    Druids are often the easiest characters for me to build. Spell Focus: Conjuration, Augment Summoning, Natural Spell, Greenbond Summoning, and maybe toss on Dragon Wildshape if you feel like being able to plane shift (thanks gem dragons!).

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aemoh87 View Post
    lets be honest.

1. Natural Spell
    2. Divine Metamagic
    In some respects, they are, but the truth is none of the classes that can use those feats need to use them. They're pretty much tier 1 regardless. So, in a relative power sense, they don't do much for the user. Also, neither of those feats work if you don't meet their prerequisites, so there's no reason to name them in this thread.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by aethernox View Post
    In some respects, they are, but the truth is none of the classes that can use those feats need to use them. They're pretty much tier 1 regardless. So, in a relative power sense, they don't do much for the user. Also, neither of those feats work if you don't meet their prerequisites, so there's no reason to name them in this thread.
    lol, yeah... a monk (or first level druid) with natural spell won't be accomplishing much.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Getting the last feat in all the X Heritage lines (Draconic Legacy, Fey Legacy, etc.) can be decent if you want a magical kind of character.

Open Greater Chakra would be kinda crazy.

Utterance of the Perfected Map means that you'd be just one more feat (Truespeak Training) and some skill ranks away from using Fog from the Void with reasonable reliability. Since it's a decent utterance (read: SOLID FOG) and the DC for LPM utterances doesn't increase, it might be worth it.

Some of the greater psionic feats (e.g., Greater Psionic Weapon) would be acceptable at low levels. +4d6 isn't much at level 10 (not negligible, but hardly amazing), but it's killer at level 4.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

24. - Top - End - #24

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by aethernox View Post
    Correct, but they are really good. I think if you get rid of fluff VoP is as good as it gets. Leadership is great too.

25. - Top - End - #25

HalflingPirate

Reserves of Strength

Rapid Metamagic (for spontaneous casters)

Arcane Thesis (as was mentioned)

Uncanny Forethought without Spell Mastery is fairly choice, although the -2 CL could hurt at level 1.

Versatile Spellcaster (for Wizard/Archivist without jumping through hoops)
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's a pity Epic feats aren't part of this. A lot of them are things that would make the game much more interesting if they could be taken without the insane prerequisites. Perfect Two-Weapon Fighting would make TWF a lot more viable, for example, and Improved Whirlwind attack might be a viable move for mid- to high-level fighters.

Of course, everyone would just pick Epic Leadership and Epic Spellcasting =P

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Draco Ignifer View Post
    It's a pity Epic feats aren't part of this. A lot of them are things that would make the game much more interesting if they could be taken without the insane prerequisites. Perfect Two-Weapon Fighting would make TWF a lot more viable, for example, and Improved Whirlwind attack might be a viable move for mid- to high-level fighters.

Of course, everyone would just pick Epic Leadership and Epic Spellcasting =P
    The vast majority of Epic feats just aren't that epic.

28. - Top - End - #28

HalflingPirate

If Epic feats were allowed. Improved Spell Capacity would be a no-brainer. Your first level human Wizard would have 2-5th level spells.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Beyond what others have already pointed out...

Pierce Magical Concealment is already pretty good, but it gets a whole lot better when you don't need to burn feats on Blind-Fight and Mage Slayer (though the latter isn't a terrible feat either).

Elusive Target and Spring Attack would probably get a lot more love, since you wouldn't need to concern yourself with Dodge and Mobility.

Extra Rage could be kinda fun, duplicating the Barbarian's main reason for existence (aside from those lucky enough to be granted the Spirit Lion Totem) with one feat.

Shock Trooper and Combat Brute would be a bit more viable for non-Fighters (though I know that they're already darn solid), allowing them to allocate two feats to non-charging tricks.

Three Mountains, with the removal of three weak feats, becomes a very good bargain.
    Last edited by Sucrose; 2011-02-13 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Just noticed Elusive Target and Spring Attack were already mentioned
    My Unitarian Jihad name is Brother Rail Gun of Sweet Reason. Get yours!

Thanks to Cealocanth and PersonalSavior for my avatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30

HalflingPirate

I think that Extra Rage wouldn't work. I'm not looking at it right now, but it seems to me that it is phrased like Extra Turning, and you get extra uses of "your Rage/Frenzy ability".
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show