New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Unusual Cultures(Any)

In a campaign setting I've been working on recently, I've decided to turn some of the more common races' cultures on their heads.

The elves, for example, don't care much for art, unless it's utterly amazing, because anyone can do that. What they do appreciate greatly, however, is endurance, simply because the majority of elves are fairly weak compared to most other races in that regard.

The dwarves, on the other hand, shrug at displays of stamina but have a great weakness for art and performance. It's easy to stay at the mine for twelve hours, but to craft a touching poem and recite it with great skill is something exceptional. As such, the few dwarves that are particularly good at artistic things are fairly famous.

Orcs value strength and power, but what they hold in absolute reverence is the ability to look at a battlefield, give a set of seemingly random orders and get a victory-especially a spectacular one or one against a superior foe.

So, any cultures or cultural quirks that you've thought are particularly odd or otherwise worth mentioning?
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Unusual Cultures(Any)

Maybe humans DON'T make crazy governments that end up being corrupted or overthrown?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Any gnome worth his/her salt can cut a gem perfectly. It takes a gnome's gnome to show off his/her bling in style. Gnomes are obsessed with fashion, and all the latest clothing styles come from the gnomish fashion designer, and bard, Metro. (Metro Gnome. Metrosexual. Metronome. Get it? Aahh, you guys have no sense of humor.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    Any gnome worth his/her salt can cut a gem perfectly. It takes a gnome's gnome to show off his/her bling in style. Gnomes are obsessed with fashion, and all the latest clothing styles come from the gnomish fashion designer, and bard, Metro.
    Wait, is this different from standard gnomes?
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    Wait, is this different from standard gnomes?
    Gnomes cut gems. Normally, they admire the bling, and sell it, or put it on display somewhere. I've never heard of a gnome interested in fashion. (Except gnomish bards, of course.) That's usually reserved for humans and elves, isn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    Gnomes cut gems. Normally, they admire the bling, and sell it, or put it on display somewhere. I've never heard of a gnome interested in fashion. (Except gnomish bards, of course.) That's usually reserved for humans and elves, isn't it?
    I think this sums up the public face of Zilargan gnomes' haute couture from Eberron pretty well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide