New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Any way to build a grapple centric character?

I've been kicking around the idea of a character who focuses on grappling, originally inspired by Mexican luchadores. I realise that any character based around these mechanics would probably be less than optimal, but I want to examine my options here.

So what's the best way to build a grapple focused character?

I am aware that using polymorph or wild shape would let just about anyone be a good grappler, but I think I would rather avoid abusing magic in this case. Splatbooks should be ok, but i need to clear their use with the DM on a case by case basis, so let's try to keep their use to a minimum.

I am thinking my best class options maybe either a barbarian (rage, DR), a fighter (bonus feats) or a monk (bonus feats, unarmed strike, bonus AC).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Any way to build a grapple centric character?

Tashalatora PsiWar is a terrifying grappler. Monk progression but Fighter bonus feats and PsiWar powers (including Expansion, Grip of Iron, and through shenanigans you can even get Metamorphosis).

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Well, shameless plug, here, but, if your DM allows ToB and homebrew, or even just homebrew, I made a PrC and a few feats on the matter.

Just so I'm not being useless, if you feel like dipping a few wiz/sorc levels, Balor Nimbus a is pretty notable spell.
    My Homebrew
    Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!

BitP: Rebornē characters!
    Madokapunk!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Begin the game as an awakened bear. Or an awakened feline. Or a druid.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Black Blood Cultist. Google it.
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

If you want to make a character who uses grappling, play a Druid. Get an animal companion that's good at grappling, such as a Fleshraker. Use Summon Nature's Ally to get some Dire Lions, cast Animal Growth on them and your animal companion, they all go grapple stuff. Late on you can take the form of a Dire Bear or even a Dire Polar Bear from Frostburn and be a superb grappler yourself. That way you'll actually be good at something besides grappling, or actually be useful against opponents with Freedom of Movement.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

The best grappling PrC is probably Black Blood Cultist. What makes it so powerful is its 8th-level ability, which lets you do damage as if you hit with all of your natural weapons every time you make a successful grapple check.

Other good grappling-related things include the feat Scorpion's Grasp, which basically gives you Improved Grab; Earth's Embrace, which gives you 1d12 extra damage per round against pinned opponents; and the Crushing Weight of the Mountain stance from ToB, which gives you good Constrict damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

I might suggest the Bear Totem Barbarian from Unearthed Arcana as the place to start. The 5th level bonus is the real key, and you may be able to talk your DM into another option for the 1st level Bonus Feat (I'd ask for Improved Toughness).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Totemist from Magic of Incarnum can help with grappling. The Girallion Arms give a solid boost to grappling, the Kraken Mantle offers constrict, and it is 3/4 BAB which isn't awful. It does not have in-class access to size boosts but those can be from a friendly wizard or being a Goliath or potions if you are desperate.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Tashalatora PsiWar is a terrifying grappler. Monk progression but Fighter bonus feats and PsiWar powers (including Expansion, Grip of Iron, and through shenanigans you can even get Metamorphosis).
    I wouldn't call one feat "shenanigans," particularly when you're following the feat's intended purpose to the letter.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Access to Crushing Weight of the Mountain, as has been mentioned, is always a good idea.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Im going to go look for a damage, not going to bring up grapple modifier improvements.

Let's see:

Jotunbrud: Size category increase for purposes of grappling (and a few other things).
    Open Least chakra (arms) and shape souldmeld (kraken mantle):constrict
    Crushing Wieght of the Mauntain:more constrict
    Choke Hold:Enemy unconcious=coup d' grace
    Earth's Embrace (OE version): fair bit of extra damage while pinning opponent.
    Choke Hold:knock opponent unconcious after 2-3 rounds of grappling (replaces almost entire reaping mauler class).
    Warshaper:extra natural attacks to be used during grappling.
    Darkspawn:2 extra tentacles, +2 to grapple.
    Black Blood Cultist:More natural attacks, 8th level is constrict on crack.
    Tooth and Nail: A few more natural weapons.
    Wolverine Stance:Hit them with big weapons while grappling.
    Various Grafts and Symbiotes:give you more natural attacks. Of special mentions is
    Stone Spikes:Good 2d4 damage when you win a grapple check.
    Replacement Tail and Added Tail: more constriction.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I wouldn't call one feat "shenanigans," particularly when you're following the feat's intended purpose to the letter.
    It's not shenanigans on a PsiWar. But on a Tashalatora? Yeah, I've played that, and it's kind of gamebreaking. I had to voluntarily nerf it several times, and even then I was overwhelmingly the most powerful character in a party that included (less optimized) full-casters.

So yeah, shenanigans. Not because it's anti-RAW or even anti-RAI, but because that particular combination is rather devastating.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.