New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: [3.5] Hippie?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default [3.5] Hippie?

So, first off: Hi, I'm new here, been lurking for a few days. Now I'm posting.

That aside, I was bored at work one night and thought it would be interesting to make a DnD hippie. Walking around with a bunch of hemp and beaded jewelry, playing his guitar lute, and preaching peace and love. All I have so far is this:

-Human or elf
    -Bard
    -Vow of Poverty

Although I'd play him as a pacifist of sorts, I don't know that I'd actually want to take Vows of Nonviolence/Peace.

Any other ideas to throw in there? Obscure or random feats, PrCs, spells?
    Last edited by Percival; 2011-02-14 at 02:20 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Hippie?

Guitars totally exist in D&D. There's even a masterwork guitar in Complete Scoundrel, I think. (Or was it Complete Adventurer?)
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Yeah, but guitars aren't very DnDish to me. So, he'd have a lute. Or maybe a banjo, if I want COMPLETE ridiculousness. This character would be completely for fluff and fun. The only optimization I want here is optimizing his ridiculous!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Elves are already hippies, so that would be a good start.

Go Bard, take Inspire Awe to blow your opponents minds with your crazy hippie statements (and to avoid being incidentally useful ). Seems fun.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    Great. Someone figured out how to make a computer from mutilated trolls.

Next thing you know we'll have a way to make an internet by feeding people to Mind Flayers.
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    Moradin is not the "Beer God," so my Dwarven cleric of Moradin cannot go around yelling "Beer for the Beer God!" in taverns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    Make the horse the Frenzied Berzerker...

You get Mounted Charging, it gets Leap Attack. And then it tries to eat you.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I once had a character like this, although he was a spirit shaman. You may want to look into it for it's hippie ridiculosity. Some highlights: they have a spirit guide, can go into trances to enter the spirit realm, and the can turn incorporeal. Mine got stuck in a tree (anti-magic field while incorporeal and the DM forgot about the shunting rules). He was a fun character tho.
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I saw a very well done Hippie Dream Dwarf Shugenja of Earth. Point is, if you want to be a hippie, your class doesn't really matter.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Bob View Post
    I saw a very well done Hippie Dream Dwarf Shugenja of Earth. Point is, if you want to be a hippie, your class doesn't really matter.
    Well that's just, like, your opinion man.

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

8. - Top - End - #8

OrcBarbarianGuy

Right, man? It's all like, just an illusion, man.

What's funny is that out of combat, he was quite the hippie, in combat, he had no qualms about dropping huge earth elementals on enemies.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Swap Bard for Druid, so you can just leave it up to nature (that is, your animal companion) to take its course and maul the things that are harshing your mellow and sending out negative vibes. Besides, bards are like the record companies, you don't want to give in to the man, do you?
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

10. - Top - End - #10

I'd say druid, vow of poverty, with ranks in perform. Just tweak VoP a bit and make it so that gold earned is lost in gambling, lost in general (bad memory) or shared with other hippie types or spent on drugs rather than donated to a church. I'm seeing a monkey type animal companion that dances while the druid plays with an open hat. He wears very little clothes and preaches about how awesome it is to become close with nature. And if it grows in the ground then it must be sound. And sex with centaurs (or any anthropomorphic race) is good for diversity man!

Edit: and that they must save the goblins/orcs/whatever unpleasant race cause "they're like almost extinct man! save the rainforest I mean goblins! they never hurt nobody!" ETC with stupid rambling like that. Not only is it hippish but it fits with druid well too.
    Last edited by randomhero00; 2011-02-14 at 01:41 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Make sure to go adventuring with, at the very least, a barbarian or other violent type in your party.

Hey, dude, you're so uncool. But hey, that's all right.
    Last edited by Comet; 2011-02-14 at 01:44 PM.
    "What can change the nature of a man?"
    __
    Guybrush Threepwood avatar by Ceika

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Ksheep View Post
    Mine got stuck in a tree (anti-magic field while incorporeal and the DM forgot about the shunting rules). He was a fun character tho.
    OMG I can just imagine that...

"Hey Dave man...did that tree just talk?"
    "Naw man, smoke some more of this and the voices will go away."
    As you desparately scream for help. hehe

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'm doing bard, that part's set in stone, so stop suggesting druid! :P

So, suggestions based on that?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, you would have to refluff the VoP, since by the rules you wouldn't be able to own an instrument. Of course a Bard can cast Summon Instrument. If you wanted to combine the tree-hugging aspect with being a musician, try Fochulan Lyricist from CAdv. For extra fun, take Green Ear as a feat. If you want to be the type that stands on a soapbox and tells people why feudalism is keeping you down, try Evangelist from CDiv.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    If you wanted to combine the tree-hugging aspect with being a musician, try Fochulan Lyricist from CAdv. For extra fun, take Green Ear as a feat. If you want to be the type that stands on a soapbox and tells people why feudalism is keeping you down, try Evangelist from CDiv.
    Who says I can't do BOTH?! Excellent ideas, btw.

Hadn't even thought to go fochlucan lyrist. I've wanted to try one of those out for a long time anyway, just because it's an interesting build (and it IS the build. There is only one way to make a fochlucan lyrist.)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Bob View Post
    What's funny is that out of combat, he was quite the hippie, in combat, he had no qualms about dropping huge earth elementals on enemies.
    Why should he? Earth elementals are just, like, another part of nature, you know?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

You can't like, own gravity man. You know?

18. - Top - End - #18

Vow of Non-violence and the other feat for the PrC-who's-name-escapes-me-now... It's a 9-spell-levels-in-10-class-levels class. Has a bunch of fight stopping abilities. Anyways; mix that in.
    Though, this is obviously a world in which Speak with Dead trivializes most murder investigations. It's not "Well, after spending an exhaustive amount of time searching the crime scene for evidence, I seem to have found some bat guano and- yadda yadda" it's "Steve did it. Go scry Steve"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Vow of Non-violence and the other feat for the PrC-who's-name-escapes-me-now... It's a 9-spell-levels-in-10-class-levels class. Has a bunch of fight stopping abilities. Anyways; mix that in.
    Apostle of Peace. Requires Vow of Poverty, Vow of Nonviolence and Vow of Peace.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

If you could spare some levels for Monk and Kensai, then you could use your fabulous hair as a weapon. Example of a weaponised beard here.
    You can't like, own gravity man. You know?
    HeH, aNd HoW iT eVeN wOrKs? It'S aLl A mIrAcLe (warning: vocabulary can get quite not-nice).
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

21. - Top - End - #21

Apostle of Peace. Requires Vow of Poverty, Vow of Nonviolence and Vow of Peace.
    Yes, this one. Thank you. Couldn't remember for life of me.
    Though, this is obviously a world in which Speak with Dead trivializes most murder investigations. It's not "Well, after spending an exhaustive amount of time searching the crime scene for evidence, I seem to have found some bat guano and- yadda yadda" it's "Steve did it. Go scry Steve"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I've always thought of Apostle of Peace as a bit lame. He doesn't want to use vague god-power to keep people from fighting. He just wants to sing his songs.

I quote my own first post:

Although I'd play him as a pacifist of sorts, I don't know that I'd actually want to take Vows of Nonviolence/Peace.
    Okay, just laying this out. Stop suggesting pacifist-hippie stuff. The pacifism going to be RP, not mechanics. I'm looking for druggy/naturey musician mechanics.

Should've made that more clear in OP.
    Last edited by Percival; 2011-02-15 at 12:15 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

I love you. Bear my children
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    HeH, aNd HoW iT eVeN wOrKs? It'S aLl A mIrAcLe (warning: vocabulary can get quite not-nice).
    maybe not the best example,
    SEEING WHAT HE MULTICLASSED INTO
    after everyone thought it was all over.
    FREAKIN' CHAOTIC NEUTRALS...
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

25. - Top - End - #25
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    If you could spare some levels for Monk and Kensai, then you could use your fabulous hair as a weapon. Example of a weaponised beard here.
    Fistbeard Beardfist + Versatile Unarmed Strike (PHB II) = Axebeard Beardaxe.

Get a pet Axebeak and name it Beakaxe.

Win as much as a non-bear can win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Percival View Post
    He doesn't want to use vague god-power to keep people from fighting. He just wants to sing his songs.
    Slightly off-topic, I don't think you're describing a hippie. Sounds more like a stoner.

Hippies did and do have goals. They're not just wandering around, stoned all day.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, "hippie" has become kind of a catch-all term. There's lots of flavors of them, which ones do you want to focus on?

- Nature-loving
    - Counterculture / Fight the Man!
    - Stoner culture
    - Free Love
    - Music
    - Making fun of their excesses
    - Free your Mind
    - Imagine no possessions!

Really, you could build this as anything from a Cleric to a Barbarian to a Bard to a Druid to a Psion to a Monk, depending on the flavor you want.

So, for druggy/nature-y musicians...

Bard to Green Star Adept. You will (literally) get stoned.
    Last edited by Telonius; 2011-02-15 at 09:26 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Win as much as a non-bear can win.
    Well, since Druid is out, the alternative is to pick up Wild Cohort to fill the bear-shaped hole on the character sheet.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."