New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Tips for making a good character sheet?

So for a homebrew system I am making I need to make a character sheet. Problem is, I am not certain how to make a good one. Any tips, or links to tips?
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Tips for making a good character sheet?

oragnization is important
    size depends on importance
    it is nice to be able to record the math whereby bonuses are generated, so that they can be adjusted as new factors come up

I'm not sure what else to say without a discription of the system you are creating. I'd suggest looking at the character sheets from various systems. They tend to follow an underlining logic.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Design the system before you design the sheet. You'll find yourself changing rules when a moment's inspiration strikes you, but updating the character sheet to accommodate those rules will take time.

Before committing to software, ensure that it will print nicely. It's really easy to make something look great on the screen and then have it look pathetic once printed. Personally I use Inkscape.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Under the Alignment section, put Good.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Inkscape would be very good to use.

Tips on design.

1: what stats will your player be using most? Put them in some sort of prominent position, whether that be the top, the left, or the center. Design the rest of the character sheet around these stats.

2: put long lists (like skill lists) in two columns, if possible. Break up long lists.

3: if possible, split up the character sheet into sections, such as a section for skills, a section for combat powers, and a section for character relationships.

4: focus, focus, focus

Avoid designs like D&D, steer towards designs like Old School Hack, which was laid out by a graphic designer.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Think about how the players are going to be using the sheet. If they're going to be using sections a, b, and c in combat, make sure that a, b, and c are all on the same side of a sheet so that the players don't have to flip sheets while they're in the middle of combat. If they're going to be using some sections more than others, make sure that the common ones are easy to find. Always give players plenty of room to write down notes on what their feats, class abilities, weapons, spells, and so on do (obviously the specifics for this will vary with your system).
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.