New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Default Hold on - how far CAN a Monk fall?

All the Slow Fall ability says is it improves with level. But by how much before 20th? 20ft a level? 5ft a level?
    Homebrew: Ghost Rider, a 3.5e Base Class inspired by Marvel's Comics.

So guys, the new Iron Man trailer, huh?

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: Hold on - how far CAN a Monk fall?

While text does "trump" table, when the two aren't in conflict, the table is a valid resource, and thus you have +10' every 2 levels until 20.
    BEEP.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

20 feet at 4th
    30 at 6th
    40 at 8th
    50 at 10th
    60 at 12th
    70 at 14th
    80 at 16th
    90 at 18th
    unlimited at 20th

Hope that helps!
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

He can fall infinitely with a Ring of Feather Fall!

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Current characters: None, looking for a game.

Homebrew!

Wow, it's been a while. Sorry for the unexplained absence!

5. - Top - End - #5

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    While text does "trump" table, when the two aren't in conflict, the table is a valid resource, and thus you have +10' every 2 levels until 20.
    See, I hadn't noticed it in the table (it's not so very obvious) so I was looking around all confused.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Not as far as a Paladin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Monks fall, everyone dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Also, don't forget that in order for a Monk's Slow Fall ability to function, he needs to be "within arm’s reach of a wall." So at 20th level it's still weaker then a first level spell.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

My favourite thing to make monks feel special is to run games that are low magic or magic free. That's when you realize that monks are somethign special. Yes, you can do almost anything a monk can using magic and do it better, but you still need the fact that you use magic. Feather fall spell won't work in an Anti-Magic zone, as a wizard in one party found out the hard way. The monk's abilities cannot be disabled like magic can. You want that level 1 spell that can be removed with an equally common form of antimagic? Fine, I'll stick witht he ability I can rely on EVERY time I use it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    unlimited at 20th
    There's a D&D'esque story (like OOTS but text-only) wherein a monk falls from orbit and takes zero damage because she ends up next to a wall.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Croverus View Post
    My favourite thing to make monks feel special is to run games that are low magic or magic free. That's when you realize that monks are somethign special. Yes, you can do almost anything a monk can using magic and do it better, but you still need the fact that you use magic. Feather fall spell won't work in an Anti-Magic zone, as a wizard in one party found out the hard way. The monk's abilities cannot be disabled like magic can. You want that level 1 spell that can be removed with an equally common form of antimagic? Fine, I'll stick witht he ability I can rely on EVERY time I use it.
    So monks become special if you force everyone else to be useless. Good to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    No... just spellcasters.

Barbarian, Rogues, ToB characters, etc., even Fighters all remain useful in a low/no magic setting.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

And that monk still gets his ass kicked in a fistfight with a fighter.

14. - Top - End - #14

The monk's abilities can be disabled by snapping its fragile little neck. The monk doesn't suck because there are wizards. The monk sucks because against any CR-appropriate encounter it can't contribute, and taking away resources won't change that.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

15. - Top - End - #15

Daemon

I only wanted to know cos I removed the wall stipulation for my Monk fix (cos yeah, permanent Feather Fall isn't exactly overpowered) and I needed to know how it went up.

Though I have made all the Monk's abilities extraordinary, partly because they're not based off any outside supernatural or magical force, but also because I'm building a prestige class which focuses on reinforcing universal law with its presence, damping magic, and their capstone is the ability to create an AM field, so I wanted Monks going into that to be able to use all their abilities to hunt spellcasters while doing that. So don't try flying to escape this guy - he'll follow you, grapple you, and AM field you. You'll fall and fall and fall and he'll hit the ground just fine by slowing 15ft above your corpse.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

My favourite thing to make monks feel special is to run games that are low magic or magic free.
    So you ban monks? I mean, they do come jam-packed with magical abilities.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Not as far as a Paladin.
    You, sir, have made my day.
    I return!

Currently working on my own game heavily influenced by D&D 3.5 and PF. All of it is OGL material. The finished version will be released on PDF at some point.

Looking for people to add random fluff to my setting. PM me if you are interested.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Cogidubnus View Post
    I only wanted to know cos I removed the wall stipulation for my Monk fix (cos yeah, permanent Feather Fall isn't exactly overpowered) and I needed to know how it went up.

Though I have made all the Monk's abilities extraordinary, partly because they're not based off any outside supernatural or magical force, but also because I'm building a prestige class which focuses on reinforcing universal law with its presence, damping magic, and their capstone is the ability to create an AM field, so I wanted Monks going into that to be able to use all their abilities to hunt spellcasters while doing that. So don't try flying to escape this guy - he'll follow you, grapple you, and AM field you. You'll fall and fall and fall and he'll hit the ground just fine by slowing 15ft above your corpse.
    By 20th level, anyone who's everyone travels on phantom steeds or zombie dragons with speeds far greater than the standard Monk gets. So if you're planning to match speed, you're going to need to zip around at 240ft while evading a hail of Orbs.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    So you ban monks? I mean, they do come jam-packed with magical abilities.
    No, he makes them a special snowflake by making them only magical character as far as I can tell but I could be wrong. Which would work.
    Same as let only PC be a wizard would make magic awe inspiring as it can do things no one else can.

20. - Top - End - #20

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    There's a D&D'esque story (like OOTS but text-only) wherein a monk falls from orbit and takes zero damage because she ends up next to a wall.
    Does the fall need to start next to a wall, end, next to a wall, or always be next to a wall? Depending on how you do it, 20th level monks (being outsiders) would make for good orbital messenger services.
    Quote Originally Posted by Popertop View Post
    Congratulations sir, only a proud, great and terrible few have managed to produce an epic frown from me.

21. - Top - End - #21

By the wording of the ability, the Monk needs to have the wall constantly within arm's reach. The trick here is to carry around a Wall of Iron inside a Bag of Holding.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2011-02-14 at 04:05 PM.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat Goddess View Post
    No... just spellcasters.

Barbarian, Rogues, ToB characters, etc., even Fighters all remain useful in a low/no magic setting.
    This is a common view point, but you must remember that a lot of monsters have very deadly (ex) abilities, ones you need magical items to deal with. I would be very careful, as a GM, if I went in this direction. I am, in this case, speaking from experience. I nearly TPK'd a party by accident in what we refer to as the Antimagic Shield Incident.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2011-02-14 at 04:07 PM.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat Goddess View Post
    No... just spellcasters.

1) ToB is designed to be effective even in high-magic. That's one of the requirements of T3 - you have to be able to keep up with the big dogs even if you can't outshine them.

2) As Doc pointed out, you need to define what you consider "low magic." It's possible to make, say, a low-magic Dragon encounter (the game being called "Dungeons & Dragons" and all that) which will summarily mop the floor with your monk and fighter once they have no way to fend off the massive creature's claws, grapples, bites and breath. The rogue will also have no way to hide from its keen senses. The Barbarian can potentially do enough damage to drop it so long as he isn't grappled either.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

1) ToB is designed to be effective even in high-magic. That's one of the requirements of T3 - you have to be able to keep up with the big dogs even if you can't outshine them.

2) As Doc pointed out, you need to define what you consider "low magic." It's possible to make, say, a low-magic Dragon encounter (the game being called "Dungeons & Dragons" and all that) which will summarily mop the floor with your monk and fighter once they have no way to fend off the massive creature's claws, grapples, bites and breath. The rogue will also have no way to hide from its keen senses. The Barbarian can potentially do enough damage to drop it so long as he isn't grappled either.
    How about a dragon in an antimagic field so you can at least hurt it (they lose DR)? Doesn't help monk, but Barbarians still rock.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    How about a dragon in an antimagic field so you can at least hurt it (they lose DR)? Doesn't help monk, but Barbarians still rock.
    Do you have a source for that ruling that DR/magic is automatically supernatural/able to be suppressed by AMF? The True Dragon entry does not support this, not does the DR ability page itself.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Do you have a source for that ruling that DR/magic is automatically supernatural/able to be suppressed by AMF? The True Dragon entry does not support this, not does the DR ability page itself.
    Common sense doesn't support it either. I thought their scales were just really hard?

Isn't it ironic that the counterargument about Feather Falls is: "If you use moderate-level magic, to which the Monk doesn't have access, to negate a wizard, the Monk is better than magic"?
    Last edited by linebackeru; 2011-02-14 at 05:11 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Monks can kick plenty of butt, they just need to set it up right. Sneak up on a monster and FoB to the back of the head!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mootoall View Post
    He can fall infinitely with a Ring of Feather Fall!
    He can fall infinitely, but that might not be such a great idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ring of Feather Falling
    Faint transmutation; CL 1st; Forge Ring, feather fall; Price 2,200 gp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather Fall spell
    Duration: Until landing or 1 round/level
    An off-the-shelf ring will save you from 65 feet of falling.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Cog View Post

Strictly, the off-the-shelf ring will save you from any amount of falling.
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems...featherFalling[/quote]
    This ring is crafted with a feather pattern all around its edge. It acts exactly like a feather fall spell, activated immediately if the wearer falls more than 5 feet.
    It activates automatically, so it'll be continually refreshing itself every 5ft. of falling distance with no wearer input required.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Cog View Post

At which point, if you are still falling, the ring activates again.
    Resident Vancian Apologist