New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Default Avarage AC/Skills/etc.

Okay, Is there a table indicating how hard to hit an AC something is? Or how good a skillmodifier x assumes you are? Or any other variable like attack bonus etc.? (I do know the generic class-member tables of the DMG, but I look for something smaller, more dumbed down, less PCish)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Avarage AC/Skills/etc.

in general, if you want to be on the frontlines, a good rule of thumb is to have AC equal to your level +13, as that will make you reasonably hard to hit. of course, AC gets harder to support as you go, so generally you start getting easier to hit later on but have more health to make up for it. If your not on the frontlines, you probably shouldn't have to worry about it, but should fork over at least a little cash to make a token effort not to get an arrow through the teeth

Far as it goes though? There's no table. You have to judge for yourself
    Last edited by Halae; 2011-02-14 at 05:00 PM.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    in general, if you want to be on the frontlines, a good rule of thumb is to have AC equal to your level +13, as that will make you reasonably hard to hit. of course, AC gets harder to support as you go, so generally you start getting easier to hit later on but have more health to make up for it. If your not on the frontlines, you probably shouldn't have to worry about it, but should fork over at least a little cash to make a token effort not to get an arrow through the teeth

Far as it goes though? There's no table. You have to judge for yourself
    Level +23, you mean. Level +13 will get you hit very often. Attack bonus is around level +4-8.

Skill checks are about twice your level, maximum. This is spending about 1/4 of your wealth on a +X competence bonus.
    Last edited by Siosilvar; 2011-02-14 at 05:19 PM.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    Level +23, you mean. Level +13 will get you hit very often. Attack bonus is around level +4-8.

Skill checks are about twice your level, maximum. This is spending about 1/4 of your wealth on a +X competence bonus.

what I meant was besides your normal +10 bonus
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    How do you get 24 AC at level 1? I mean, I suppose if you pulled some shenanigans with Mage Armor and Shield, invested in a high DEX and maybe got Shield of Faith thrown on for good measure... but that's not really front-line melee then, is it?