New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Bossmania!

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Bossmania!

Ever since I started this thread, it seems that a surprising amount of people are obsessed with fighting bosses! Not only were there two groups from the original thread, but it overflowed into two more groups in this one. Now it's gotten to the point where group 5 is currently being recruited here, and the idea has inspired this spinoff.

So my question is: Why do you think this has become so popular?
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Bossmania!

Bosses are more challenging than normal by nature. They (should) also give better/more rewards should they be defeated. Some players might like the challenge of interesting/tough bosses while others may simply desire the rewards for defeating them. I imagine that showing off one's optimization-fu also has a part to play; building characters that can handle tougher-than-average enemies usually requires a good deal of thought and foresight.
    *note: not all advice by this poster is meant to be taken seriously.

Warlock/Swordsage avatar by yldenfrei

optimization is like salt. a pinch here and there can't hurt, but too much will spoil everything.

I have salty tastes.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

It wasn't allowed on the first one, but it's also a very good way to test homebrew, as you can clearly see how the class works at each level.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

A Kobold, Aristocrat 4, Vampire, Evolved Undead is a CR 4 creature, thus 'appropriate' for the first encounter when the party is at level 1. I should DM one of these.....