New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: 4e DMing

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default 4e DMing

I'm working up to DMing for a 4th-ed game for the first time. I've got a few questions for more experienced people.

First, are there any good modules that really help people get into the flow of 4E? I'm new to the system, a bit, too, so I'm also looking for something that'll show me how things flow.

Second, aside from the core, are there any resources you think are vital to have? There are already like 12 classes that don't show up in the PHB, so I'm wondering what I should consider an important asset before beginning.

Thanks to anyone who can help out!
    Drew

This is for everyone who squints hard at stuff in the hope they'll spontaneously develop telekinesis.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: 4e DMing

Aside from the DMG 1 (and any appropriate flavor-heavy books like the Dark Sun Campaign Guide or the Draconomicon), all you need is a DDI subscription. I'm totally serious about this.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd recommend Keep on the Shadowfell. It even comes with quickstart rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

4. - Top - End - #4

PirateCaptain

Heck, my first adventure was just the back of the DMG, in Kobold Hall.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

For total n00bs I second Kobold Hall. Then play Slaying Stone (1 of the few really good 4e modules).
    Gary Gygax: "As an author, I also realize that there are limits to my creativity and imagination. Others will think of things I didn't, and devise things beyond my capabilities".

Also Gary Gygax: "The AD&D game system does not allow the injection of extraneous material. That is clearly stated in the rule books. It is thus a simple matter: Either one plays the AD&D game, or one plays something else."

6. - Top - End - #6

HalflingRangerGuy

Keeps of the shadowfell was painfully easy though.
    My mother says: those on fire should roll.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cupkeyk View Post
    Keeps of the shadowfell was painfully easy though.
    That's why I recommended it. The quickstart rules make it very easy to get new players into the 4e system. I ran it before Amazon even shipped my core set.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I have heard great things about the new adventures in the DM Kit and the Monster Vault which I also recommend on their own merits.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Agreed Kobold Hall or Keep on the Shadowfell or your own varieations of the listed.
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by appending_doom View Post
    Second, aside from the core, are there any resources you think are vital to have? There are already like 12 classes that don't show up in the PHB, so I'm wondering what I should consider an important asset before beginning.
    If you're still new and learning there's no reason you can't tell your players that you aren't comfortable handling things outside PHB yet. That's a triple negative, but temp limits on what you allow so you can learn to DM are not a bad idea.

When I started running games, I ran SW saga and no one was allowed to be a Jedi. And still I say no new player can be one.

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by appending_doom View Post
    First, are there any good modules that really help people get into the flow of 4E?
    There are lots of free ones for download at http://livingforgottenrealms.com - some of those are good, some are bad, but it's easy to spend a few hours paging through them to see what you like.

Second, aside from the core, are there any resources you think are vital to have?
    Nothing outside the PHB1 is vital.

No, not even the errata or other fixes. Don't worry about them; just starting from that one book (for players, and the DMG1 and MM1 for the DM) has plenty of possibilities.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A subscription to DDI is cheaper than buying the PHB and MM 1s, though, and gives you more sheer stuff than most players will ever go through.