Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Halna's Homebrew Compendium- The Place Where the Best Come to Stay!

What? You're a homebrew maker?

You think that your homebrew is part of the Elite? But, even if you aren't, you still might just have a chance to join Halna's Homebrew Compendium!

What? Halna's Homebrew.... I don't follow.
    *Sigh* Okay, look. There is a LOT of great Homebrew on Giantitp. But, more and more, I get the feeling that a lot of it gets buried under the pile of new stuff.

In addition to that, I play a lot of Play-by-Post games on here as well. All the time, I see DMs going "I don't allow homebrew! Blarg blarg blarg!" when there is a LOT of great stuff out there. This compendium is meant to showcase the best homebrew on the site. I want a resource for DMs to be able to find well thought-out, balanced homebrew. Too many DMs leave homebrew in the dust because they don't wanna sort through all of the stuff that is bad and/or wrong. If DMs had a resource that they could say "Everything in Halna's Compendium is allowed" then they could know that they were getting the best that Giantitp has to offer!

Okay. Maybe that's a reason why I should contribute to this thread. But who are you? Just an Ogre in the Playground. Nobody cares about your opinion.
    Well, I do agree with you. However, this Compendium wouldn't be by me. You, yes you, viewer, sitting in your chair, reading this, can help decide what goes into this Compendium. Every Sunday at [insert time here] there will be a new thread. Each thread will have a theme, be it Base Classes, Monsters, Sexiest Construct, or whatever it may be. In each thread, you can nominate a single (read: one(1)) of that whatever to be in the voting thread!

If the homebrew that you nominated gets three seconds, then it goes into the voting thread! The voting thread will open the following Sunday, and the homebrew that gets the most votes wins!

And?
    And... that's pretty much it. Obviously, this is going to be a LOT of work, so if you want to help, please, be my guest. And, more then just in management and threads and the like. If you haven't noticed, I obviously don't have great formatting skills, so any comments on that or the like would be appreciated. I have a set of rules already thought up, so if you want to see them, I'll post them. If you have any comments about formatting or the like, please PM me. In addition, I'm going to need some pictures I can use for free, and finding a source of those would be amazing.

Secondly, I do realize that it'll be off to a slow start. So, if people want to help in the creation of multiple threads now and later, that would be awesome!

So, thank you all! Welcome to Halna's Homebrew Compendium! Feel free to browse, chat, or just wait, smoking in the lounge! But, really, you shouldn't be smoking. It's bad for you.

Current Voting Thread: Races (1)
    Current Nomination Thread: ToB PrCs

Old Nomination Threads:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Halna LeGavilk; 2011-02-27 at 08:04 PM.
    RIP Gary Gygax, March 4th, 2008. May he roll 20's in heaven forever.
    RIP Dave Arneson, April 7th, 2009. He roleplays his way into our hearts.
    Avatar by Banjo1985, the Awesome.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by havocfett
    Quote Originally Posted by My self
    I'll throw in my hat as a Dwarf Warlord//Were-Dire Badger, going into Dwarven Defender and Deepwarden from Races of Stone. Is that cool?
    ...I'm not sure the vocabulary exists in the english language to express how much I approve of this concept.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Halna's Homebrew Compendium- The Place Where the Best Come to Stay!

What about edits to a creation that has a great concept, but needs fine-tuning? Will there be a PEACHing period before votes?

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Halna LeGavilk View Post
    ...Just an Ogre in the Playground. Nobody cares about your opinion.
    Actually... if anybody ever says this, feel free to quote the Forum Rules at them.

There's been attempts to do this before, though less... structured? There was a homebrew compendium project and a Phoenix magazine (which may still be ongoing).

As for posters with excellent homebrew:
    Fax Celestis
    The Demented One
    Vorpal Tribble
    Krimm Blackleaf
    ErrantX
    Zeta Kai (although he does more big projects than single classes and stuff)

...yeah, that's all I've got off the top of my head.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

4. - Top - End - #4

Well, I'm hoping that anything that is nominated is (mostly) done. And, obviously, a concept can fall into multiple categories, and we'll probably revisit popular categories (like Fighter Fixes) many times. Most homebrew I see is in always being finetuned. However, I think it'd be best that something be mostly completed, with the exception of fine-tuning, before being nominated.

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    Actually... if anybody ever says this, feel free to quote the Forum Rules at them.
    Shhh! I was trying to be funny through self-deprecation!
    Last edited by Halna LeGavilk; 2011-02-15 at 10:33 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll throw in my hat as a Dwarf Warlord//Were-Dire Badger, going into Dwarven Defender and Deepwarden from Races of Stone. Is that cool?
    ...I'm not sure the vocabulary exists in the english language to express how much I approve of this concept.

5. - Top - End - #5

Homebrew is never truly finished, Ms. Helna, and competitions such as this one are a great way to get feedback that may otherwise be difficult to secure.

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

6. - Top - End - #6

...Ms? Awww... I thought I was a boy.

And I do know that. I'm having my own Homebrew-making-ness... troubles. However, missing most of your class features and half your spells are the kinds of things that shouldn't be nominated.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

RedWizardGuy

If I may be so bold as to suggest the first homebrew be something like create an arcane guild. Or should this have been suggested on Sunday?

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Imbasel View Post
    If I may be so bold as to suggest the first homebrew be something like create an arcane guild. Or should this have been suggested on Sunday?
    Suggestions for what category is up are perfect for this thread! Unfortunately, the point of this compendium isn't to create things- it's to showcase things that are already made.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    As for posters with excellent homebrew:
    Fax Celestis
    The Demented One
    Vorpal Tribble
    Krimm Blackleaf
    ErrantX
    Zeta Kai (although he does more big projects than single classes and stuff)
    While I do agree that much of what these individuals do is great, I have to say that a lot of the best out there is by no-names or people we are quick to forget.

For example...

Also, out of the big names, you forgot Kellus, Realms of Chaos, and maybe Djinn_In_Tonic (I almost forgot to capitalize that I in "In" again. It bothers me.).
    Base Class Contest XXXXVII - Time is on Our Side (Yes it is)
    Chat Thread
    Contest Closes May 24th

Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

This sounds cool to me. If you need any help, PM me. This can be very interesting (especially if it brings about the PEACHing of homebrews, even those who don't "win.")
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

11. - Top - End - #11

...Ms? Awww... I thought I was a boy.

And I do know that. I'm having my own Homebrew-making-ness... troubles. However, missing most of your class features and half your spells are the kinds of things that shouldn't be nominated.
    Mostly my problems are balance-related, not completion related.

Might I also suggest that we begin with Races, the building blocks of all good characters?

My extended homebrew sig

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Are there going to be separate threads for races with LA and races without?

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by LOTRfan View Post
    Are there going to be separate threads for races with LA and races without?
    Well, we can do multiple threads. And balancing the features against the LA is part of making it a good homebrew.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    While I do agree that much of what these individuals do is great, I have to say that a lot of the best out there is by no-names or people we are quick to forget.

For example...

Also, out of the big names, you forgot Kellus, Realms of Chaos, and maybe Djinn_In_Tonic (I almost forgot to capitalize that I in "In" again. It bothers me.).
    Also, I see your Sin Knight and raise you a Child of the Mausoleum.

Why yes, I am still bitter about that competition. Friggin' joke classes....

My extended homebrew sig

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Also, I see your Sin Knight and raise you a Child of the Mausoleum.

Why yes, I am still bitter about that competition. Friggin' joke classes....
    At least I gave an example I didn't make, mibitterlord.
    Chat Thread
    Contest Closes May 24th

Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

16. - Top - End - #16

At least I gave an example I didn't make, mibitterlord.
    I pimp one of my own creations maybe twice annually, cut me some slack :p

My extended homebrew sig

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

You forgot the last of the big names, afroakuma. Why does everyone forget him? Some 'o you weren't around for his big hey-day, I guess.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I love his Inevitables and Slaadi.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-02-15 at 11:24 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    You forgot the last of the big names, afroakuma. Why does everyone forget him? Some 'o you weren't around for his big hey-day, I guess.
    Oops. My bad. I was absent for a year after joining (I commented on Zeta Kai's FFX-d20 project a few times, then forgot about this site), which is about the time he was doing a massive project, if I remember.

Did he help with Hourglass of Zihaja?
    Chat Thread
    Contest Closes May 24th

Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Oops. My bad. I was absent for a year after joining (I commented on Zeta Kai's FFX-d20 project a few times, then forgot about this site), which is about the time he was doing a massive project, if I remember.

Did he help with Hourglass of Zihaja?
    It was his and Zeta's brainchild, and Shadow_Elf joined up for the 4e conversion, as I recall.

afroakuma started the whole "Vote Up A X" craze a few years ago. He revamped the entire Inevitable and Slaad line-up. He created the wildly popular VUAVillain series, which was FANTASTIC and had some of the greatest villains ever to grace 3.5 (seriously, look up the Silver Hellstar for a fine example).

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

21. - Top - End - #21

It was his and Zeta's brainchild, and Shadow_Elf joined up for the 4e conversion, as I recall.

afroakuma started the whole "Vote Up A X" craze a few years ago. He revamped the entire Inevitable and Slaad line-up. He created the wildly popular VUAVillain series, which was FANTASTIC and had some of the greatest villains ever to grace 3.5 (seriously, look up the Silver Hellstar for a fine example).
    Ah, yes. I remember a bit of that. Shame on me for not remembering to put him in the list of big names.
    Chat Thread
    Contest Closes May 24th

Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, yes. I remember a bit of that. Shame on me for not remembering to put him in the list of big names.
    'sall good man. I'd definitely nominate anything from the big names for a compendium though, it's all outstanding work, surely enough. This thread is a good place to look for fine work to suggest for this Compendium (which is a noble goal).

23. - Top - End - #23

Well, I don't want the big name Homebrewers dominating the thread. I'm thinking that once a person's homebrew has won (not been nominated) that they then can't be nominated for, say, three weeks? Or maybe two competitions...
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

My oppinion on the competition:
    The more nominies will be, the less chance that people who are not big names will win.
    Let`s say for exemple that there will be 20 nominies. Most of the people who will vote won`t have the patience to read 20 entries, and will most likely choose to read those by names they recognize. Also, the so called big names have probably already got a sort of a small fan club, who will vote for them.

Well, I don't want the big name Homebrewers dominating the thread. I'm thinking that once a person's homebrew has won (not been nominated) that they then can't be nominated for, say, three weeks? Or maybe two competitions...
    About 7 people were mentioned here as big name homebrewers, so that won`t help. Also, I think the vote should be based purely on the quality on the homebrew, and if that means that the same person wins a few times, so be it.
    You can do that only 1 homebrew of a person can be nominated per vote.
    A world behind the mirror (stand alone plane)
    (Wall) passer, a rogue variant
    My not realy extanded homebrewer signature

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    In a world ruled by small birds, mankind cannot help but wonder how this state of affairs came about.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

My 2 cp:

Every voter gets three votes; 1st place for 3 points, 2nd place for 2 points, 3rd place for 1 point. You can't vote for the same person's homebrew more than once when you vote. This means that, for example, Vorpal Tribble could come in and knock everybody's socks off with his stuff, but Random Homebrewer #42 would still get his entries looked at, and voted on if they're good.
    My forum avatars appear to have decomposed in my absence. C'est la vie.
    Homebrewer's Signature
    If you use any of my homebrew, or even if you just have a strong opinion on it, please let me know. Feedback is always useful.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by akma View Post
    You can do that only 1 homebrew of a person can be nominated per vote.
    I would absolutely support this motion. And honestly, I've enough ego to say that I've made some stuff of quality. Temotei too, and many others. DMofDarkness has some great work, as does unosarta and many others. The big guys are grand, sure, but they're hardly the only cowboys in town, so to say.

Seriously, check out the sig thread in depth. You'll be amazed at what you find. People like DracoDei abound, whose work is extensive and detailed but never seems to get talked about. Lots of gems in there.

27. - Top - End - #27

I like the idea that only 1 homebrew/person/vote. Thanks guys!

So, anyone have any suggestions for this upcoming Sunday?
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    What about edits to a creation that has a great concept, but needs fine-tuning? Will there be a PEACHing period before votes?
    I hope there will be. The homebrewers here balanced around multiple points, and some do it better than others. Simply voting can't ensure a compendium that's able to be entirely cleared by a DM, as balance and design will vary extensively, and voting isn't really proper quality control.

...and maybe Djinn_In_Tonic (I almost forgot to capitalize that I in "In" again. It bothers me.).
    Honestly, I thought it was lowercase. That bothers me now to...maybe I'll see if they'll change it.

I like the idea that only 1 homebrew/person/vote. Thanks guys!
    Personally, I'm quite against this. Vorpal Tribble is an amazing designer, but he does monsters almost exclusively. Krimm Blackleaf, The_Demented_One, ErrantX and (if I may be so bold) myself are great PrC designers, but don't do other things nearly as much. Realms of Chaos, Kellus and Fax Celestis design entire systems. A lot of our stuff quite honestly deserves to be in a compilation of good, balanced homebrew, but a 1 homebrew/person/vote (or even just voting in general) limit means that this will be incredibly difficult to do, given the scope of our work. I understand that you don't want the big names to dominate, but, given that the goal is getting the best homebrew in the compendium, it seems more in keeping with the stated goal to simply let the best win, whether or not it comes from a "big name" (some of it does, some of it doesn't...I just think the field shouldn't be limited in that manner).

To balance this out, of course, you could keep those homebrew creations that didn't win in the running for the next time that theme runs around, so that deserving homebrew doesn't get knocked out by the well-knowns.

I'm also concerned about the varying contest themes, as some work on the forums is vastly less than others in terms of quantity, and thus will show up in lesser quality due to having less competition (not always the case, but it's a possibility). Perhaps having un-themed contests would result in a better mix?

Finally, without some sort of committee determining balance, relative power, and the like, you won't be able to have the goal of a "everything in this compendium is legal" be realistic.
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2011-02-18 at 11:38 AM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_In_Tonic View Post
    Personally, I'm quite against this. Vorpal Tribble is an amazing designer, but he does monsters almost exclusively. Krimm Blackleaf, The_Demented_One, ErrantX and (if I may be so bold) myself are great PrC designers, but don't do other things nearly as much. Realms of Chaos, Kellus and Fax Celestis design entire systems. A lot of our stuff quite honestly deserves to be in a compilation of good, balanced homebrew, but a 1 homebrew/person/vote (or even just voting in general) limit means that this will be incredibly difficult to do, given the scope of our work. I understand that you don't want the big names to dominate, but, given that the goal is getting the best homebrew in the compendium, it seems more in keeping with the stated goal to simply let the best win, whether or not it comes from a "big name" (some of it does, some of it doesn't...I just think the field shouldn't be limited in that manner).
    The issue with this is that then you WOULD dominate and the whole point of this project (to illuminate good work not everyone knows about) will be lost.

We all know about you and the other big names, because, well, you're the BIG NAMES! I mean, if you go to a DM and ask for The Universal Face Rape Machine PrC, he'll say no. If you then say "well, it was made by Vorpal Tribble", he'll probably go "I'll take a look then, cause VT made it". It's brand power. You are all so prolific and well-known that you could each make your own compendiums, and practically have.

By limiting the big names to 1 brew/person/vote, we're saying "look, you guys are great and everything, but there's other guys we want to cast a light on". And frankly, one of you is likely to win every vote anyways, so in the end this will almost certainly wind up as a compendium of the big guy's finest works.

However, I recognize that you may feel slighted by this idea, and would suggest the following as a compromise. I would suggest two categories for submissions and two votes at any given time. The first category, which I'll call "Hidden Gems", highlights the lesser-known works by anyone not the big names. The second category, which I'll call "The Hall of Fame", would be for the big name guys. This way, we highlight the best of both worlds, the famous and amazing work from the big players, and the lesser known but still quite quality work from the other guys. It's not a perfect idea, but I think it helps offset both my concerns and your concerns.

30. - Top - End - #30

By limiting the big names to 1 brew/person/vote, we're saying "look, you guys are great and everything, but there's other guys we want to cast a light on".
    See, I may have been misinterpreting the goal. I guess we're interpreting this line differently:

Too many DMs leave homebrew in the dust because they don't wanna sort through all of the stuff that is bad and/or wrong. If DMs had a resource that they could say "Everything in Halna's Compendium is allowed" then they could know that they were getting the best that Giantitp has to offer!
    This, to me, seems like the goal is to compile the best, most real-game-appropriate homebrew in one place, but I acknowledge that I could be incorrect. Still, I understand the reasoning behind your suggestion and the 1/homebrew/vote thing: it's not that I feel slighted by it (far from it...I wholly endorse more homebrewers getting in the limelight), but I do feel that it's not in the best interests of the project, as per the stated goals, to enforce such strict (1 per vote) limitations. Also, with the "brand" recognition...having all the "big names" submit 1 per contest still has a very high chance of seeing the so-called "winners" be from that small group, because they'll all have an entry or two.

Makes me think a small group of judges might actually be better in the long run than the open vote criteria. Just thinking aloud here.
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2011-02-18 at 02:46 PM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.