New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [3.5] I... must... build it...

So I saw this on the 'Picture of Complete Awesome' thread a couple of days ago. And I've already planned a story arc around it.

Spoiler
    Show

My word. I love it to bits. The problem, though, is just what to stat it up as.

From where I'm standing, it's pretty obviously a Half-fiend Anthropomorphic Rabbit. That goes a long way towards the fluff of it, but leaves the flesh of the build still up in the air.

edit: I just looked at Savage Species and realized that there isn't an Anthropomorphic Rabbit. Anyone know of a location for it? /edit

What do you all think? I was thinking maybe a gestalt Duskblade/Ur Priest/Something, but I can't quite articulate why at the moment. I'd love to see what y'all can come up with.

p.s. Your input certainly need not fit to these specifications, but for my own purposes the build I end up with needs to be a total freakin' badass. I'll be using him, I think, as a BBEG for a gestalt campaign, so yeah.
    Last edited by tuesdayscoming; 2011-02-17 at 03:04 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] I... must... build it...

Looks Hexbladey to me. Probably tweaked to be less sucky, of course.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Rule one: If it's awesome, there's a passable chance it's a wizard.
    Rule two: You should specify how powerful you want this to be. Bear in mind that I am directly responsible for some of the most powerful builds around.

I'll build it, if you accept these two rules.

Let's start simple: Open up fiend folio, and flip to the back. You'll note that there are grafts here. We want the fiendish wing grafts. Whether or not we go caster, this will take care of our flight. Better, it gives us a truly excellent fly speed before optimization.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2011-02-17 at 03:08 AM.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I would make an anthropomorphic rabbit, apply the half-fiend template and then go Duskblade. You get lots of killing power as far as straight damage goes and it matches the picture. Alternatively you could make it a minotaur were-dire rabbit to get the look right and then go into Swordsage for weabo fightan magic.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Clearly a winged anthropomorphic rabbit. With samurai levels. And the fiendish template.

And now for some real suggestions.

Also, yay for Ursula Vernon.

--

At a guess, I'd say Anthropomorphic Rabbit Wu-Jen/Beatstick/AbjurantChampion/Spellsword/Something with that wings graft from Fiend Folio. So long as he can cast Giant Size, you're golden.

Edit: Oh wait, gestalt. Psh. That just got about ten times easier. Wu Jen into caster PrC of choice. Warblade 20 on the other side. Dabble with Factotum if you want to.
    Last edited by Jarian; 2011-02-17 at 03:12 AM.
    My forum avatars appear to have decomposed in my absence. C'est la vie.
    Homebrewer's Signature
    If you use any of my homebrew, or even if you just have a strong opinion on it, please let me know. Feedback is always useful.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Took me a minute to notice the tiny spear-holding rabbit in its hand, which I assumed was somehow shrunken. Then I realized that the background didn't provide much perspective. So now I'm choosing to interpret it as the spearbunny being a normal-size anthropomorphic rabbit, and the big guy is some sort of massive rabbit god-titan.
    Last edited by Eurus; 2011-02-17 at 03:08 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay. So.... Duskblade as a BBEG in a gestalt campaign is going to last about two immediate actions, unless the gestalt toons are truly gimp.

<Arnold>
    Come with me if your want BBEG to live.
    </Arnold>
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2011-02-17 at 03:11 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Personally I would go divine caster rather than arcane (although if you really feel like arcane is more fitting you can always do an Arcane Disciple wizard or something); the skulls have a vaguely holy symbol-ish feel to them, for one thing, plus there's the armor (and yes I'm fully aware that there are plenty of workarounds for armored arcanists, just saying that it's not as common).

9. - Top - End - #9

Rule one: If it's awesome, there's a passable chance it's a wizard.
    Rule two: You should specify how powerful you want this to be. Bear in mind that I am directly responsible for some of the most powerful builds around.

I'll build it, if you accept these two rules.
    ... I love you?

I'm not looking for a Total Optimization build. Something that presents a very real threat to a relatively high level world? Sure. But not Pun-pun, the Hulking Hurler, what have you. Something that is defeatable, but only if you already know exactly what it's capable of and have planned for a good, long time to do it.

What's most important though, as (almost) always, is that the crunch match the fluff. If you have any ideas, I'd love to see!

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarian View Post
    Also, yay for Ursula Vernon.
    Amen.

Also, I don't necessarily want to make it Gestalt. It could be cool, certainly, and would open doors to a lot of interesting builds, but if you come up with a non-gestalt (is there a term for that) build that fits, awsome. My opt-fu just isn't enough to come up with enough unadulterated awesome for the pic.
    Last edited by tuesdayscoming; 2011-02-17 at 03:57 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Okay. So.... Duskblade as a BBEG in a gestalt campaign is going to last about two immediate actions.
    Depends on what the Duskblade is gestalted with and how much higher then the PCs level it is. Have it be a Duskblade/Cleric and then persist buffing spells on itself. If you go with minotaur/wererabbit/fiendish template it starts as large, so it would be huge when fighting the party. Lots O damage and you can grant it some protective spells as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    If you go with minotaur/wererabbit/fiendish template it starts as large, so it would be huge when fighting the party.
    Assuming the rabbit in its hand is an anthropomorphic rabbit already, it's clearly at least Gargantuan. Needs moar Giant Size.
    Homebrewer's Signature
    If you use any of my homebrew, or even if you just have a strong opinion on it, please let me know. Feedback is always useful.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tuesdayscoming View Post
    ... I love you?

I'm not looking for a Total Optimization build. Something that presents a very real threat to a relatively high level world? Sure. But not Pun-pun, the Huling Hurler, what have you. Something that is defeatable, but only if you already know exactly what it's capable of and have planned for a good, long time to do it.

What's most important though, as (almost) always, is that the crunch match the fluff. If you have any ideas, I'd love to see!
    As said, start with fiendish wing grafts. They're better than the entire half-fiend template, they only cost 10k, and they make you move really fast. Next, we want the trickery domain feat from Complete Champion. This will let us pull many shenanigans. We like Shenanigans. Okay, so we have two defining elements picked out. Let's keep moving.

Armor is a hard one. There's simply not much armor that's remotely passable. I'll set that aside. Sword is much more interesting. There are a couple of really excellent swords lying around, so I'll come back to this after I get my feet settled.

Is the BBEG gestalt? That'll decide pretty much everything.
    Edit: Looks like. hold on a bit.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2011-02-17 at 03:24 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

As said, start with fiendish wing grafts. They're better than the entire half-fiend template, they only cost 10k, and they make you move really fast. Next, we want the trickery domain feat from Complete Champion. This will let us pull many shenanigans. We like Shenanigans. Okay, so we have two defining elements picked out. Let's keep moving.

Armor is a hard one. There's simply not much armor that's remotely passable. I'll set that aside. Sword is much more interesting. There are a couple of really excellent swords lying around, so I'll come back to this after I get my feet settled.

Trickery Devotion is quite awesome for shenanigans, but out of curiosity, is there anything about the flavor of the pic that suggests it to be appropriate? Doesn't really scream "tricksy" to me. To each their own, though.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

I just associate devils with trickery, and there's some sort of relationship between the big rabbit and the wee one. So I thought it'd be cool to give the BBEG a similarly depicted route of access to a servitor.

Race-wise, the Hengeyokai from Oriental Adventures are nearly perfect.
    Class-wise, it'd be hard to ignore warblade. Getting close. Should have a build in about ten minutes.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2011-02-17 at 03:29 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Assuming the rabbit in its hand is an anthropomorphic rabbit already, it's clearly at least Gargantuan. Needs moar Giant Size.
    I read the picture differently, actually, with the character in question being Medium and the rabbit-in-hand being a tiny, re-fluffed familiar sort.

Where is the graft from? BoVD? Would there be a reasonable way to get the horns, too? This being my campaign, I could always just Rule of Cool it, but I have a thing for trying to find perfect synergy between ideas and execution.

As the idea stands, the character will probably be gestalt. The arch will likely revolve around a sort of 'Triforce' type set of objects. This guy? He's getting the Triforce of Power.

Each of the pieces (two? three? seven?) will give the recipient gestalt levels in a particular class and, perhaps, a few other benefits as well. These additional benefits will likely include some sort of companion: the rabbit in this guy's hand, an Eternal Blade's fairy (Hey! Listen!), an Arcane Hierophant's Familiar Companion, etc.
    Last edited by tuesdayscoming; 2011-02-17 at 03:28 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

F-Wings are in Fiend Folio, very near or at the back. Under grafts.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I read the picture differently, actually, with the character in question being Medium and the rabbit-in-hand being a tiny, re-fluffed familiar sort.
    I recall seeing a detail shot of that picture once (on Ursula's dA page, probably) and that's definitely a rabbit holding a spear. Either that's a really tiny spear, or a really big BBEG.
    Homebrewer's Signature

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

I recall seeing a detail shot of that picture once (on Ursula's dA page, probably) and that's definitely a rabbit holding a spear. Either that's a really tiny spear, or a really big BBEG.
    Fortunately, with casting, the sky is the limit in both directions. :)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Also, the cage at his side is another oddity that suggests great size to me. Either he's enormous, or those are really tiny skulls. Although I suppose he might have been pulling a Zelda and keeping pixies in there for an emergency snack or something...

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Also, the cage at his side is another oddity that suggests great size to me. Either he's enormous, or those are really tiny skulls. Although I suppose he might have been pulling a Zelda and keeping pixies in there for an emergency snack or something...
    Those poor fairies... (Language, violence.)
    Homebrewer's Signature

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Hum, okay:
    We can only PrC on one side at a time, so any PrC we take has to be of kingly might. Which pretty much narrows it down to just a couple of possibilities, from where I'm sitting. Ur-Priest is basically an auto-in, and we'd like factotum and warblade. It's pretty easy from here, we're obviously going to want some DMM-Persist, and a ton of font-of-inspirations, at least four.

That'll cover our casties, our action economy, our resilience, and our beats.

Hengeyokai (Hare)
    Trait: Aggressive
    Flaw: Vulnerable
    Flaw: Inattentive
    Feat: Spell Focus (Evil)
    Feat: Font of Inspiration
    Purchased: Iron will, Otyugh Hole

Warblade 7/Ruby Knight Vindicator 7/Ordained Champion 5/Warblade 1
    &&
    Factotum 5/Ur Priest 2/Factotum 13?
    Ordained champion and RKV do conflict. You're the GM, you decide if you're okay with that. Depressingly, it is technically legal for a Ur-Priest to worship a diety, so we're okay there.

Feats you'll want:
    Trickery Domain
    Divine Metamagic
    Persistent Spell and all pre-requisites
    MOAR Fontz

Templates that might be useful:
    Vecna-Blooded

You may need to move the levels around a little. In fact, I'd be stunned if you don't.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2011-02-17 at 03:55 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Hum, okay:
    We can only PrC on one side at a time, so any PrC we take has to be of kingly might. Which pretty much narrows it down to just a couple of possibilities, from where I'm sitting. Ur-Priest is basically an auto-in, and we'd like factotum and warblade. It's pretty easy from here, we're obviously going to want some DMM-Persist, and a ton of font-of-inspirations, at least four.

That'll cover our casties, our action economy, our resilience, and our beats.

Hengeyokai (Hare)
    Trait: Aggressive
    Flaw: Vulnerable
    Flaw: Inattentive
    Feat: Spell Focus (Evil)
    Purchased: Iron will

I seem to remember that iron will is one of the feats that can be effectively bought from a magical location... Anyone remember the page number for that sucker?
    Otyugh Hole from Complete Scoundrel, don't recall the exact page. Google says 151.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Complete Scoundrel, 151.

Edit: That's not fair! I actually looked it up. In the actual book! Using Google is cheating!
    Last edited by Jarian; 2011-02-17 at 03:45 AM.
    Homebrewer's Signature

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Complete Scoundrel, 151.

Edit: That's not fair! I actually looked it up. In the actual book! Using Google is cheating!
    I prefer to think of it as practicality.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I would use the Anthropomorphic Weasel stats and make it a Antro Rabbit. Then pick out a class that uses Wisdom and can dump Strength and Charisma.

I imagine there are also plenty of homebrew half-rabbit half-human creatures out there. I just found the "Rabbit-Man" on google after 3 seconds.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Think my build is basically done, can someone check legality?

Looks like we can't quite get base will of +3 that early. Anyone got a hack for that? This is almost all from memory, and I can't remember if Crusader gets will as a strong save.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2011-02-17 at 03:59 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Aside from the noted conflict, I don't see anything obviously wrong. I will ask what spell your Ur-Cheater is using to get to Gargantuan+ (unless you're just staying normal rabbit-mode, but eh.), unless the Factotum part is regularly UMDing it.

Also, despite being cool, the picture doesn't say anything about Trickery to me. Death Devotion would be much more appropriate, given the skulls, and as the DM, you can give your BBEG whatever stats he needs to make it useful.

Edit: Savage Bard?
    Last edited by Jarian; 2011-02-17 at 03:58 AM.
    Homebrewer's Signature

28. - Top - End - #28

Wow, everybody (and especially Doc Roc), thanks so much for the input!

Unfortunately I've got work early tomorrow but I'll check up on the legality of the good Dr's build when I get the chance. I'd still love to see anything else the playground can come up with!

Until then, night everyone!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Crusader 8/Ruby Knight Vindicator 7/Ordained Champion 4/Warblade 1
    &&
    Factotum 6/Ur Priest 2/Factotum 12?

OR

Crusader 8/Ordained Champion 4/Ruby Knight Vindicator 7/Crusader 1
    &&
    Factotum 6/Ur Priest 2/Factotum 12?

If saves stack from gestalting, this makes it work. If not, I'll think of something. A savage bard dip works, but puts us at an XP penalty.

Crusader has some odd advantages for us. I was hoping that I could just pull up T_G's old analysis on the subject, but it's gone. We're going to be pretty feat-starved.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2011-02-17 at 04:31 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground

Such noble intentions! I like what Roc Roc says (as usual).

If I were in a hurry, I would simply take a succubus (I don't mean LITERALLY, you pervs) and call it an anthropomorphic bunny.

Then advance it to 12HD. Then stack on top of that 8 levels of Duskblade. Then give the Succubus' powers equally to sword and armour

Damage reduction 10/cold iron or good (armour), darkvision 60 ft. (katana), immunity to electricity and poison (armour), resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and fire 10, spell resistance 18 (armour), telepathy 100 ft. (katana), tongues (katana)

Alternatively you can go for a Lycantrope (scroll to the bottom of the page, and do a were-rabbit!).

Class levels at leisure, or as Roc Roc says. Duskblade or Hexblade + 1 ToB class and you are good to go :)
    Enjoy my creations
    Gatsu, from Berserk (Kentaro Miura's)
    A hero: the Tekkaman space-knight.
    The villain he has to face: Dobrai, Valdaster Overlord from Tekkaman

Threadwinner of Vs Mage challenges.
    Warning: may perform below standards if target has no heat signature (eg: undead mage)