New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Ur-Priest/Ruby Knight Vindicator

This probably isn't any kind of unique build, but I just realized that the 8 caster levels on RKV could advance Ur-Priest. I want to use a Crusader chassis, so my build right now is

Crusader 6 or 7/XXX 1 or 2/Ur-Priest 2/Ruby Knight Vindicator 10

The XXX is a class that can give me Knowledge The Planes and Knowledge Arcana as well as having a good will save so I can get into Ur-Priest before RKV. I was thinking Monk which would synergize very well, but Monk doesn't get Knowledge The Planes.

Any suggestions on a different class and/or a way to get Knowledge the Planes as a class skill without a level dip?
    3rd Place in Iron Chef Optimization Challenge II

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Ur-Priest/Ruby Knight Vindicator

Wizard and Archivist both have a good will save and all knowledge skills as class skills
    CYNIC, n.
    A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Educated feat for all knowledge skills as class skills.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

So does the Cloistered Cleric variant, which may be more helpful in a dip because of domain granted powers or subbed-in Devotion feats in place of domains. Ur-priest takes away any actual spellcasting you'd get out of Cleric or Archivist, though.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I recommend Incarnate (Magic of Incarnum). One or two levels will give a slew of interesting options.

Edit: Binder also makes a very tasty dip and fits the bill.
    Last edited by kestrel404; 2011-02-19 at 02:37 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Could take a small dip into Marshal

He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    — Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

My characters
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Binder looks great, but I realized I need Spellcraft 8 too. Any way to get that as a class skill?

My ultimate goal is 9th level Divine casting + 9th level maneuvers and as CHA SAD as possible. I'm already going to use Dynamic Priest on my Ur-Priest casting.
    3rd Place in Iron Chef Optimization Challenge II

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Taking a few levels of crusader, 2 levels of ur priest then go into RKV would be pretty good.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Bard could work for your purposes. Lots of skill points and all the ones needed as class skills.
    BEEP.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

Why do you need Knowledge: The Planes in class? 5 ranks is enough, you can get that cross-class by level 7. Same with Knowledge: Arcana. Knowledge: Religion is the only K you need in class to enter Ur-Priest.

Swordsage is a good option for the 2 levels, by the way. Gets you some Shadow Hand base abilities to qualify for RKV and has the good Will-saves and Wis to AC in Light Armor and stuff. Hell, you even get Discipline Focus to make up for the lost BAB.

Other good options include Duskblade (couple of convenient spells [notably True Strike], good Will & Fort, good BAB, access to arcane wands), Incarnate (yeah, good stuff), Binder (good stuff) & stuff (good stuff). I suggest you pick good stuff.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Two levels of Swordsage will get you the will save (or Binder 1 + SS 1 IIRC).

Adding SS will have the nice side effect of giving you a bunch of SS maneuvers and a SS initiator level of about 16.

Does Binder also grant Spellcraft? (Sorry, AFB)

There was a really odd build on one of these sites that had a really high initiator level. Something like Binder 1 / Fighter 1 / Bloodline 3 / Crusader 1 / Swordsage 1 / Warblade 1 / Ur-Priest 2 / RKV 2 / Legacy Champion 6 (?) / Master of Nine 2 (Don't hold me to this, going off memory since it doesn't come up on google.). Caster level around 12 (9th level spells) and Initiator level around 30 (again, IIRC). There was a lot of arguing about whether or not it worked though.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

"Start with Factotum 1 or 2, take Able Learner, and watch as all your skill problems go away. Call now and get 20% off! Satisfaction or your money back*!"
    *Attempting to get money back voids.

Okay, couldn't resist the joke, but seriously, Factotum makes everything easier.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Spamalot in the Playground

Note: RKV has the same problem as Eldritch Disciple in that it requires you to worship a deity. So you'll have to get your DM to okay both Adaptations for this to work. (The RKV one that lets you switch from Wee Jas to another deity, and the UP one that lets you worship a dead god instead of none at all.)

Note also that Planar Monk sub-levels do get Know: Planes in-class if you really want that dip.

Scratch that, you need 5 monk levels to get one
    Last edited by Psyren; 2011-02-19 at 07:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzardevil View Post
    Taking a few levels of crusader, 2 levels of ur priest then go into RKV would be pretty good.
    Isn't that EXACTLY what the OP says?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Duskblade. A one level dip of that will get you the class skills you need and doesn't reduce your BAB.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RndmNumGen View Post
    Isn't that EXACTLY what the OP says?
    Yes but 6 or 7 crusader levels is too many I think. Heres what I think the build should look like:

1) Swordsage 1
    2) Swordsage 2
    3) Crusader 1/swordsage 2
    4) Crusader 2/swordsage 2
    5) Crusader 2/swordsage 2/Ur-Priest 1
    6) Crusader 2/swordsage 2/Ur-Priest 2
    7) Crusader 2/swordsage 2/Ur-Priest 2/RKV 1
    8) Crusader 2/swordsage 2/Ur-Priest 2/RKV 2
    9) Crusader 2/swordsage 2/Ur-Priest 2/RKV 3
    and so on untill you reach level 10 in RKV then swordsage all the way for class features and maneuvers, or just go into master of nine, at the end of the day it's down to your preference, I'd personally prefer master of nine for the versatility of maneuvers.

I could put this into a table if someone wanted.
    Last edited by Hazzardevil; 2011-02-20 at 12:07 PM.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzardevil View Post
    Yes but 6 or 7 crusader levels is too many I think. Heres what I think the build should look like:

1) Swordsage 1
    2) Swordsage 2
    3) Crusader 1/swordsage 2
    4) Crusader 2/swordsage 2
    5) Crusader 2/swordsage 2/Ur-Priest 1
    6) Crusader 2/swordsage 2/Ur-Priest 2
    7) Crusader 2/swordsage 2/Ur-Priest 2/RKV 1
    8) Crusader 2/swordsage 2/Ur-Priest 2/RKV 2
    9) Crusader 2/swordsage 2/Ur-Priest 2/RKV 3
    and so on untill you reach level 10 in RKV then swordsage all the way for class features and maneuvers, or just go into master of nine, at the end of the day it's down to your preference, I'd personally prefer master of nine for the versatility of maneuvers.

I could put this into a table if someone wanted.
    How exactly are you getting into Ur Priest at ECL 5? It's skill requirements require 8 ranks in some skills, which can't be met at ECL 4, what with the skill rank cap being at 7 ranks.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

You can separate out the Knowledge class skill requirements; that's solvable by taking the Education feat (Eberron Campaign Setting) at level 1. Education is a general (not Eberron-specific) feat which makes all Knowledge skills class skills for all your classes.