A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 140
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Super_Fluous's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010

    Default [IC] With Hearts of Iron

    Clang!

    The forge is near deafening.

    Clang!

    You are unable to hear anything above the shear noise of steel on raw iron.

    Clang!

    At first, the only source of light is the the dull yellow from the sparks from the forge. Should you turn around to look behind you, you can see small bits of chrome and steel slowly being shaped into the familiar plates of armor for new members of the Anbaric Guard.

    Clang!

    All the meanwhile the machines focus on you. Mechanical arms polish your armor, replace any loose gears, remove any dents. You can feel your power sources being recharged to full. Suspicious, since a warforged can generally hold a strong charge for up to a year. Clearly, you are here for something important.

    At the wall facing you, the dull grey metal way rearranges itself to form the familiar pale blue, androgynous face of The Speaker. It speaks to you, in a hollow, metallic voice.

    "You must be wondering why you have been called here. As you can likely guess, the city requires your aid for a matter of grave importance. Though it has not been fully determined yet, we are currently facing evidence of a Class Y Scenario: successful miasmatic penetration."

    Clang!

    The forge continues onward, apparently deaf to the speaker's announcement.

    "The source of these rumors has been determined to be the sewer system in the fifth floor southern district. It is your duty to go here and investigate. Should the rumors of miasma entering the city, it will be your duty to combat it, and if necessary, prepare the area for quarantine."

    "As soon as your reparations are complete, you will be sent to this area. You have been granted full clearance of the local sewer areas, and to commission the use of any local domicile for your own purposes. At this time, you may ask any questions related to the task at hand."
    Last edited by Super_Fluous; 2011-02-20 at 02:41 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Zieu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Aberdeen, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] With Hearts of Iron

    After a quick glance at the other warforged on either side of him, Basaran places a hand on his opposite shoulder and roates the joint before repeating with the other side. As he "stretches" he thinks to himself, Fight the miasma? How does one do battle with corruption itself?

    When he speaks his voice booms in terms of volume and can sound like a growl at times, but there is a subtle softness to it. He looks at The Speaker and says, "Does the report detail the rate at which the miasma has progressed -- whether this is a very recent development or a possible slow leak...?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht
    Quote Originally Posted by zyborg
    A certain divine ability confused me so much. I was playing the PC game "Icewind Dale", and got to an undead-infested area. I clicked a button, and tried to walk past them. Sure enough, they started attacking me. "Why are they attacking me," I asked myself. "I'm one of them. I already used..."

    "TURN UNDEAD"
    Pardon me sir, but I think you dropped these sunglasses.
    YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!


    Current Characters + Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

    - Gaius in Dead to Rights
    - Basaran in With Hearts of Iron

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Samfool's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Small town in Michigan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] With Hearts of Iron

    Dundun doesnt like having his armor "repaired". They always mess something up. It is easier for him to move when it is all worn in, and his oddly-placed pieces of plating are not standard issue, making them cut into the fleshier parts of his anatomy. He shrugged and a piece of metal cut into his neck.

    "Excuse me! Could you bend that piece back the way it was? Actually, just give me those pliars, I will do this myself!" Dundun exclaimed, not trying to be rude, but more than likely rubbing the mechanics the wrong way.

    "So why did you pick a little defect like me?" Dundun questioned, and without warning or pause, continues babbling on, pointing at Basaran, "I mean, look at that one! He is huge! And his armor is all shiny and pretty. Not that you look pretty, you look tough! Like a big, tough guy!"

    His eyes snap forward as he realizes he is just talking non-sense now.

    "Uhhh.. Yeah! Fighting the miasma sounds like a bad plan. Isnt it like a disease or something? How can we fight it? You cant hurt a disease.. Thats like punching air! And that would just be pointless cause you cant hurt it, it doesn-"

    Dudun stoped talking, looked foreward, and then sighed. He talks to much, it is one of his defects. But he means well, and he knows it. Most people around him know it. At least he thinks so. Do they really think that? Or do they think he is just obnoxious, becasue that would be bad..

    'Oh no.' He thought, 'I am doing in in my own head now..'

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Super_Fluous's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010

    Default Re: [IC] With Hearts of Iron

    The machines get back to work, trying their best to work around Dundun's warped armour, improving what they can before finally giving up in frustration.

    The Speaker turns its cold pale eyes toward Basaran and responds.

    "At this point, the rumors of miasmatic spread are largely based on hearsay. In the lower floors, there is talk of mutated animals, and groups of skitterlings have been spotted fleeing their nests, a behavior which is considered highly unusual for them. Still, we cannot take the risk of not responding to this potential threat, hearsay or not."

    "Furthermore, despite our limited knowledge on the exact nature of the miasma, there has been evidence that sufficient physical impact is enough to break it up in small amounts. Assuming the rumors of the taint's spread are accurate, you should be enough to deal with it, provided it has not yet spread too far."

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Samfool's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Small town in Michigan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] With Hearts of Iron

    "What if we cannot harm it? What then?" Dundun asked, very solemnly. Well, as solemn as his high little voice can be.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Super_Fluous's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010

    Default Re: [IC] With Hearts of Iron

    The Speaker gives Dundun a stern look.

    "It is not your duty to question such things. Should this become a problem, we will cross that bridge when we come to it. It is simply your responsibility to concern yourself with the matter at hand."

    The Speaker pauses for a second, but does not change its tone.

    "Should this become an issue, know that you can be replaced."

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Zieu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Aberdeen, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] With Hearts of Iron

    Watching intently and nodding once The Speaker finishes, Basaran finshes testing his retooled joints and plates. He looks down at Dun Dun after The Speaker finshes reprimanding him and says in a low voice, "Fear not, Little One; there is no need to overthink the issue. We would not have been chosen if we weren't deemed suitable for the task ahead." Basaran lifts his faceguard and reveals a small grin. "We shall take the obstacles as they come."

    He replaces his faceguard and turns to face The Speaker once more. "I have no further questions, Speaker."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht
    Quote Originally Posted by zyborg
    A certain divine ability confused me so much. I was playing the PC game "Icewind Dale", and got to an undead-infested area. I clicked a button, and tried to walk past them. Sure enough, they started attacking me. "Why are they attacking me," I asked myself. "I'm one of them. I already used..."

    "TURN UNDEAD"
    Pardon me sir, but I think you dropped these sunglasses.
    YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!


    Current Characters + Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

    - Gaius in Dead to Rights
    - Basaran in With Hearts of Iron

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Samfool's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Small town in Michigan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] With Hearts of Iron

    This pleases the little warforged greatly. He now has a large, wild grin on his tiny little face, and can feel his confidence rising. He is almost aglow with pride that the big guy is talking to him. Dundun has no doubt in his mind that they will succeed in this task. Now he knows what it feels like to be a guard or a soldier, it is exhilarating.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010

    Default Re: [IC] With Hearts of Iron

    G218

    Needing only a recharge and possibly a polish G218 was finished far before the others. Heeding the voice of the speaker he listened intently. His first rule in life is to make sure all instructions are clear so as to properly execute. Questions were to be asked only for clarification or informational purposes. No questions of intent or morality. It was simpler that way. However the mission at hand daunted him. Are they... really?... No. Don't assume. Just ask.
    "Speaker, is the mission at hand related to my former quest?" The thought shook him. Is this what they call...Fear? No. It can't be. Fear is irrational and an illness of the living. "Also, is the team composed of solely the three of us?"

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Super_Fluous's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010

    Default Re: [IC] With Hearts of Iron

    The Speaker nods again to G218.

    "At the time, it has been deemed reasonable to utilize one with prior experience against the miasma. Said prior experience could perhaps prove vital, and therefor has such information has been placed into the potential requirements for members of this mission."

    "However, as for now, this remains a simple scouting mission, hence your small numbers. Should it be deemed necessary, other members will be recruited to this squadron."


    Upon finishing its statement, the wall immediately below the speaker seems to shiver and warp, with the metal pealing away to reveal a lift to the upper floors.

    "If that is all, you may be on your way. Should you find any information you deem to be of importance, you may report it at any of the surveillance terminals."

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Samfool's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Small town in Michigan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] With Hearts of Iron

    "We will destroy this plight on the city! To arms!" Dundun announced, breaking free of the annoying mechanics.

    "Where are my weapons?" the tiny robot yelled.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Super_Fluous's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010

    Default Re: [IC] With Hearts of Iron

    As if on command, a small compartment opens up on the side of the wall, revealing all of your equipment, proper.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Samfool's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Small town in Michigan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] With Hearts of Iron

    "Oooooooohoohoo! There they are!" Dundun shrieked, running toward the instruments of death with glee.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Zieu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Aberdeen, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] With Hearts of Iron

    The floor vibrates with the heavy thuds of Basaran's footsteps as he strides toward the weapon table. He scans briefly before locating his sole piece of extra equipment other than his already-donned armour -- he slowly wraps his palm around the grip of his greatsword and runs the other hand down the flat of the blade. He whispers, "You are looking well, old friend..." and continues to gaze intimately at the weapon for a moment before he slides it into the sheath slot on his back. He turns to watch Dun Dun with amusement, folding his arms and chuckling softly.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht
    Quote Originally Posted by zyborg
    A certain divine ability confused me so much. I was playing the PC game "Icewind Dale", and got to an undead-infested area. I clicked a button, and tried to walk past them. Sure enough, they started attacking me. "Why are they attacking me," I asked myself. "I'm one of them. I already used..."

    "TURN UNDEAD"
    Pardon me sir, but I think you dropped these sunglasses.
    YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!


    Current Characters + Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

    - Gaius in Dead to Rights
    - Basaran in With Hearts of Iron

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Super_Fluous's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010

    Default Re: [IC] With Hearts of Iron

    The Speaker once again nods toward the trio.

    "You may proceed when ready."

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Samfool's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Small town in Michigan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] With Hearts of Iron

    "Lets go, lets go, lets go! Wooo!" the little one hoots and hollers, ready to take on his new mission with pride. He knows the danger, but hell, at least he is useful now!

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Zieu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Aberdeen, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] With Hearts of Iron

    Basaran nods, reaching an arm up and over his shoulder to pat his sheathed weapon. "I'm ready."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht
    Quote Originally Posted by zyborg
    A certain divine ability confused me so much. I was playing the PC game "Icewind Dale", and got to an undead-infested area. I clicked a button, and tried to walk past them. Sure enough, they started attacking me. "Why are they attacking me," I asked myself. "I'm one of them. I already used..."

    "TURN UNDEAD"
    Pardon me sir, but I think you dropped these sunglasses.
    YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!


    Current Characters + Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

    - Gaius in Dead to Rights
    - Basaran in With Hearts of Iron

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010

    Default Re: [IC] With Hearts of Iron

    G218

    Walking over towards the newly opened compartment, G218 grabs a long solid steel scythe, the blade tinged with a hint of purple. Then silently he follows the others out of the room.

    The small one worries me. The other seems sturdy enough, but clanky. Still, both of those things aside, something is still... worrisome. There must be something wrong with me.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Super_Fluous's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010

    Default Re: [IC] With Hearts of Iron

    The lift leans up to a long tunnel, the dim lights to the side quickly flashing past one by one as you past. After some time, you reach the next floor.

    The lift exits out of the base of a tall bronze fountain displaying two angelic figures locked in an embrace, surrounded by a torrent of water.

    You exit the lift, and see the general state of New Lilium, Floor Five, Seventh District. People walk down the street. A young drow couple stand by a low bridge, holding hands. A tall green Thernae, long arms hanging low clutches a bag of groceries in one hand, and holds the hand of a small Imaskari girl in the other, the two entering a small, slightly dusty apartment building. A trio of unknown race in long, shabby overcoats enter a nearby diner. Everywhere is the blue chrome and yellow bronze of the city, illuminated by dull artificial lights.

    Practically everyone stops in their place as the walkway shifts into place of the fountain with a low thud, allowing you to enter the streetwalk. Dozens of faces turn in your direction, many eyes growing wide with fear and confusion.

    With a clank, the metal of every building side, empty sidewalk road warps into the pale face of The Speaker. The people all turn their attention from you to this new spectacle.

    "Attention," goes The Speaker, "As you may have noticed, the Anbaric Guard will be conducting a routine security check. We assure you that all is well, and that you may go about your routines as normal. Thank you for your time."

    With another clank, the faces of The Speaker slide back into place, the architecture looking as if nothing had happened. Slowly but surely, the streetfolk return to their activities, acting as they first did before your appearance.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Samfool's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Small town in Michigan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] With Hearts of Iron

    "Sooooo.. What do we do now?" asked Dundun, getting closer to Basaran's leg.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010

    Default Re: [IC] With Hearts of Iron

    G218

    Stepping forward without paying attention to the inhabitants he clearly states. "We proceed with our mission. Follow me. I've been here before."

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Samfool's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Small town in Michigan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] With Hearts of Iron

    "Ok!" Dundun smiles as he bounds up to the odd-talking one, "You lead, we follow!"

    Dundun runs up to Basarn and begins climbing up his armor, stitting on his shoulder

    Spoiler
    Show
    I am 80 lbs total..
    Last edited by Samfool; 2011-02-28 at 05:57 PM.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Zieu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Aberdeen, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] With Hearts of Iron

    With a grunt and a nod, Basaran falls in line behind G218.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht
    Quote Originally Posted by zyborg
    A certain divine ability confused me so much. I was playing the PC game "Icewind Dale", and got to an undead-infested area. I clicked a button, and tried to walk past them. Sure enough, they started attacking me. "Why are they attacking me," I asked myself. "I'm one of them. I already used..."

    "TURN UNDEAD"
    Pardon me sir, but I think you dropped these sunglasses.
    YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!


    Current Characters + Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

    - Gaius in Dead to Rights
    - Basaran in With Hearts of Iron

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Super_Fluous's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010

    Default Re: [IC] With Hearts of Iron

    You walk through the streets, the people of the city providing you with ample leeway to get past. After several turns through the crowded blocks, you eventually make your way to the provided coordinates: a dingy alleyway behind an old diner. Here you find an old sewer grate, rusted and slightly askew. From behind it, you hear low creaks and the sound of rushing water.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Zieu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Aberdeen, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] With Hearts of Iron

    Basaran sighs. "Everyone has to start somewhere, I suppose....step down, Little One. I'll try and open the grate." He waits for Dun Dun to jump off before bending his knees and sliding his fingers around the edge of the grate, trying to find purchase to lift it.

    Spoiler
    Show

    If I can find an edge, Strength check to open it: (1d20+3)[11]

    EDIT: Well.....would taking 10 be enough to open it? :l
    Last edited by Zieu; 2011-03-01 at 05:08 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht
    Quote Originally Posted by zyborg
    A certain divine ability confused me so much. I was playing the PC game "Icewind Dale", and got to an undead-infested area. I clicked a button, and tried to walk past them. Sure enough, they started attacking me. "Why are they attacking me," I asked myself. "I'm one of them. I already used..."

    "TURN UNDEAD"
    Pardon me sir, but I think you dropped these sunglasses.
    YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!


    Current Characters + Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

    - Gaius in Dead to Rights
    - Basaran in With Hearts of Iron

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Super_Fluous's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010

    Default Re: [IC] With Hearts of Iron

    Despite possibly expecting a struggle, the grate comes away easily in Basaran's hands. While standard procedure would call for such an entrance to be sealed shut unless necessary, it is clear that the grate had already been loose somehow, perhaps as if it had already been used.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Samfool's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Small town in Michigan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] With Hearts of Iron

    "Lets go!" Dundun yells, charging into the now open sewer line. He looked around to see what he could see,

    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot
    [roll0]

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Zieu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Aberdeen, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] With Hearts of Iron

    "Haha, this one's quite peppy, eh?" he says lightly to G218 before motioning to him to follow. Basaran heads in about 10 feet behind Dun Dun, calling out "Easy now; we don't know what to expect here, so let's take it slow."

    Spoiler
    Show

    Spot check: (1d20+3)[9]
    Last edited by Zieu; 2011-03-01 at 10:43 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht
    Quote Originally Posted by zyborg
    A certain divine ability confused me so much. I was playing the PC game "Icewind Dale", and got to an undead-infested area. I clicked a button, and tried to walk past them. Sure enough, they started attacking me. "Why are they attacking me," I asked myself. "I'm one of them. I already used..."

    "TURN UNDEAD"
    Pardon me sir, but I think you dropped these sunglasses.
    YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!


    Current Characters + Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

    - Gaius in Dead to Rights
    - Basaran in With Hearts of Iron

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010

    Default Re: [IC] With Hearts of Iron

    G218

    "Agreed. I hope appearances truly can be deceiving. Be sure to keep your guard up, any chance we once had of finding anything unaware has been eliminated due to.... that." His voice was somewhat mechanical, or monotonous, but if anyone was paying particular attention, they might of been able to detect a hint of annoyance.

    After entering the sewer gate, G218 gripped his scythe and gazed out, looking forward and back while keeping his ears peeled. He wasn't going to be caught off-gaurd again. Whatever it was... it may still be here.

    Spoiler
    Show

    listen check: (1d20+2)[11]
    spot check: (1d20+2)[11]

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Super_Fluous's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010

    Default Re: [IC] With Hearts of Iron

    G218 and Basaran:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You stare out ahead into the inky blackness of the old sewer system. As there has been no lighting system installed here, you are unable to see too far. You can hear the perpetual dripping of water off of the rusty metal walls, and a faint scratching in the background. Likely rats.


    Dundun:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You focus your eyes as you stare ahead into the depths of the old sewer system. There is no lighting system installed, so it is doubtful that you would be able to see anythi...

    Wait.

    Far out ahead, past the point where the shadows begin to usurp upon the walls are two faint orange lights, just bare pinpricks against the blackness at roughly your diminutive eye level. The lights sit there in space for barely a moment, then flicker and vanish, a faint scratching sound against the metal floor being left in their wake.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •