New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Gygax's "Necropolis" Adventure

I'm DM'ing for a party of 6 characters that will be starting the Necropolis adventure (from Necromancer games) shortly. They are presently ECL 8, but will get to ECL 9 before we start. For those familiar, I'm using the "Set's Daughter" adventure to lead them into the land of Khemit.

Their party consists of:
    Druid (natural spell banhammer'd)
    Wizard
    Bard/arcane archer (using the 3.0 version to advance casting also)
    Swash/Rogue
    Fighter/dragon samurai
    A fighter/Wilder (1 level dip in fighter for survivability)

The swash/rogue is probably the best optimized.

Does anyone have any experience with this adventure/module/mini-camp? Are there any particular encounters or situations that PCs are likely to have a ton of trouble with that I should look out for?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Gygax's "Necropolis" Adventure

The thing to bear in mind is that Necropolis doesn't feature 'balanced encounters' and pays no heed to the idea of 'level-appropriate threats'. The Temple of Osiris in particular is brutal that way, although you can see it as early as the bandit encounter with about 20 level 1 warriors, a level 13 rogue, a level 13 cleric and a level 12 sorcerer.

If your players aren't used to the Gygaxian style of play - that is, relying more on their cleverness in play than the builds of their characters - then you might want to go easy on them to start while they learn the new approach: have debilitating effects be temporary or easier to remove, make death effects into ability drain, etc.
    Last edited by potatocubed; 2011-02-22 at 12:12 PM.
    I write a gaming blog. It also hosts my gaming downloads:

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.
    Exalted Mass Combat Rules - Because the ones in the core book suck.