New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Mage dreamer

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Default Mage dreamer

Im looking for a mage type class that deals specifically with dreams, 2ed or 3ed for a 3.5 game, I figure I can modify a 2ed class to 3rd easy enough I just dont know of any base material to go off of

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Mage dreamer

A list of your available resources is always helpful for these sorts of things.

Secrets of Sarlona has some dream-related feats, and spells for the sor/wiz list or powers for the psion list.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

A 3rd party 3.0 campaign world called Gothos: The rise of evil should have what you need.
    The books that I know of from that world: Pit of Loch-durnan, Witch of Loch-durnan, Nightmares & Dreams, Bone& Blight, and of course the campaign setting.
    Published by I think Mystic Eye Games.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

What do you mean by "based on dreams," specifically? Do you want to actually deal with sleeping people? Do you want something that conjures up fantasies and terrors of the mind? Do you just want something with "dream" in the name?

In any case, I know that Heroes of Horror has at least a little bit of dream-related magic, but I don't remember if it's actually interesting or useful.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Seconding Zaq's question.

I'm sure there's something in the Homebrew forums here if you feel like digging ( (the only thing I can name is The Vorpal Tribble's Somnambul race), but if I were you, I'd go with the stuff from Secrets of Sarlona and the Oneiromancy from Heroes of Horror. Combine that with some good fluff and you should be all right.

Also, if you have access to the 3.0 Manual of the Planes--not the same thing as the 3.5 Planar Manual--then you should look up the Realm of Dreams there. It has rules for the Plane of Dreams, plus the Lucid Dreaming skill.
    "Once upon a time, a story was never finished..."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Also, Earth Dreamer from Races of Stone.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Nightmare Spinner, from Complete Mage 74.

You didn't say GOOD dreams.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

wow, excelennt suggestions, and the nightmare spinner looks like a great antagonist :D All I have in mind for the moment is a mage that deals in dream magic / spells rather freeform after that

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

I can't think of any classes or PrCs, although I am certain I saw a Sorc/Wiz spell once upon a time that allows you to enter the dreams of someone sleeping nearby. The closest I can find at the moment is Dream Casting from the Spell Compendium (pg 73), which allows you to alter someone's dreams to hit them with one of a choice of day-per-level duration effects. There's nothing particularly useful there, but if you are the DM (and this is for an antagonist) you could always play out the modified dreams as fun and twisted one-shot adventures.

EDIT: A dip into Mindbender might be thematically appropriate. I'm sure talking directly into somebody's mind while they're asleep could have fun consequences on their dreamscape.
    Last edited by The White Knight; 2011-02-23 at 08:50 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Dreams tend to be more of a psionic thing, really...
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

There is, quite plainly, a spell called "Nightmare" in the PHB. Page 257. Bard 5, Sorc/Wiz 5. Dunno if this is useful to your purposes.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

I was told there was a class in 2ed that extracted vials of dream dust.. sort of like sandman.. and was hoping for something liek that where they use dreams of others to fuel their magic but all the advice you guys have given has been great usable stuff

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

quori nightmare races of eberron

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Psionics could cover a bunch of the fluff you're after, as it is the inner mind that matters here. Nightmare Spinner (Complete Mage) and Dread Witch (Heroes of Horror) do well with nightmares.

Heroes of Horror also has the Archivist, an intelligence based divine caster, which could be fluffed as a mad man drawing power from his own perverted psyche. On top of that, HoH also has a couple of feats dealing with dreamscape, but they're largely DM-dependent.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I forget the name for it, but there's a spell that forcibly extracts a memory from someone's mind (making them forget it) and turns it into a crystal. Anybody who so chooses can utilize the crystal (one use thing like breaking it or sticking it in their forehead, I forget) and gain that memory. Could be neat, if you're going for the whole "messing with their head" thing.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

In Heroes of Horror for 3.5 there are a few dream-related options such as the Dreamtelling feat, Oneiromancy, and Improved Oneiromancy, something like that.

The Oneiromancy feats give you access to an interesting line of dream-related spells if you're a caster. These would be useful in a dream-centric campaign.

The Phantasmal Slayer monster is at the end of the same book, CR 15, and quite nasty.

There's also a chart of messed up things that can randomly happed to spells that are cast in a dreamscape and some other similar musings.

That'd be a good go-to place to start.

DM[F]R
    Pelor's White Flame, where the sun has been extinguished, arcana is disappearing, and the undead are taking the world for their own.

Espisito, NG Elf Ranger 9/ Skylord 4
    Mandar, CG Half-Vampire Human Archivist 9/Tainted Scholar 3
    Maximillian, LG Human Knight 8/Annointed Knight 3/ Legendary Leader 3
    Melahen, CG Human Sorcerer 4/Mage of the Arcane Order 9/Archmage 1

RIP Masm, Goodbye Castiel

More Truenamer utterances Here

Epic Dwarf Binder avatar by me.