New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default what editon of shadowrun should i play?

i have played the sega game and i liked it. it was slow but somehow very fun and no flaming i want valid reasons i should play one version over another.

edit: i just got a v3.8 i guess thats what it says anyway.
    Last edited by kiryoku; 2011-02-24 at 08:42 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: what editon of shadowrun should i play?

I would personally suggest 3 being my favorite but if your getting the books then 4 is game to and just as acceptable.
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

nevermind sorry
    Last edited by kiryoku; 2011-02-24 at 10:41 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I'll admit to being a bit confused by your post (I was fine until you said you had edition 3.8, actually), but I've been vastly enjoying our 4th edition SR game. This is for several reasons.

1) The system can be complicated, or you can really simplify it. For the most part, it's role attribute + skill, anything that's a 5 or a 6 is a "hit". The more hits the better. Simple, quick to calculate, and you can ad hoc dice pool modifiers very easily.

2) Hacking and Rigging are more fully integrated. My hacker can DO things in the game, instead of doing a bunch of prep work and then being stuck sitting there. Need a door opened? The hacker can hack it. Now, admittedly, I spend most of the game a kilometer away in my Mercury Comet, zoned out with a shotgun on a smart firing platform to keep an eye on me... but my zoned out means that my drones are there, providing cover fire and intel.

3) Magic as a stat which must be purchased. You can truly have "magicians who have great promise" and "guys who have little magical ability". My only real complaint on it is that debits to Essence are ALWAYS taken off magic... if you buy your magic up to 4, and take a point of essence in cyberware, your magic is 3, even if your essence is 5. Magicians have enough problems.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.