New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: 4e Trouble in Brixham (IC)

Matrim --- [Mountain Pass to Brixham - Bridge]

You manage to knock the dwarf off balance and cause him to stumble up hill, landing, face down, between your current position and Goresh's.

Spoiler
    Show

Hit, movement made.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Goresh Ironforge, Dwarven Barbarian

Goresh grunts in glee as he watches Matrim gore the rock dwarf and send him crashing to the ground. He follows up quickly with an overhead swing of his own.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard Action: Tide of Blood

Attack Gd3: (1d20+14)[32] vs. AC (counting CA from flanking)
    Damage: (2d10+13)[22] (2d10+2 per [W], +8 base, +1 from power)
    Last edited by Emongnome777; 2011-04-04 at 01:08 PM.
    Emongnome

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Goresh --- [Mountain Pass to Brixham - Bridge]

You take advantage of Matrim's maneuver and strike a deep blow into the rock dwarf, leaving a deep gash in it's thick skin.

Spoiler
    Show

Hit, not even a chance at missing. 22 damage to Gd3.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Ravinna darts out from behind her rock, spewing a continuous stream of insults at the dwarf as she does. When she finds her footing on a nearby ledge, she sings a few notes of a particularly uplifting song, the better to answer Matrim's call for succor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move Action: Move to K10.

Standard Action: Vicious Mockery on GD1
    [roll]1d20+10]/roll] vs. Will.
    (1d6+7)[8] psychic damage, plus -2 to his attacks until EOMNT.

Minor Action: Majestic Word on Matrim. He can spend a healing surge and gets an additional 1d5+5 hp healed, and another 5 temporary hp on top of that.
    (1d6+5)[9] extra healed.
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Spod has it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasilich View Post
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Messed up the die roller code on the attack roll:

(1d20+10)[12] vs. Will

Fun fact: If you trigger the board's "You must wait 60 seconds before posting again" filter, it messes up the die rolls in your post.
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Spod has it right.
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Ravinna --- [Mountain Pass to Brixham - Bridge]

You mock the rock dwarf but he doesn't heed your insults, choosing instead to focus on the battle below.

Spoiler
    Show

Miss, sorry.

Moved you and healed Matrim by 25.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Orc in the Playground

Illyrion Wildwind, Halfling Sorcerer

Illyrion repositions himself to better take cover behind the boulder. He contemplates moving closer but he'd be a sitting duck out there. Instead, he hopes to be able to distract the rock dwarf's attention from Ravinna, firing a screaming bolt of psychic energy at his target.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move Action to Q14

Standard Action: Chaos Bolt at Rock Dwarf (G14)
    Primary Attack: Charisma vs. Will: (1d20+11)[27]
    Damage: (1d10+13)[22] psychic damage.

[Edit:] Yes, I meant G14, I copied the attack from a previous post...fixed it...
    Last edited by Acheron; 2011-04-05 at 09:13 AM.
    "Insanity: a perfect rational adjustment to an insane world." - R.D. Laing

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Illyrion --- [Mountain Pass to Brixham - Bridge]

You blast the dwarf with a final beam of psychic energy despite it's cover and it falls to pieces, much like the first one did.

Spoiler
    Show

I think you mean G14, maybe you're looking at the wrong map? Either way it's within range. Factored in a -2 to hit because it has partial cover from you.

Hit for 22 damage, Gd1 is dead.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Kalek --- [Mountain Pass to Brixham - Bridge]

Kalek fires twice at the remaining rock dwarf but only manages to land a shallow blow.

Spoiler
    Show

Minor Action: Hunters Quarry on Gd3.

Standard Action: Twin Strike vs Gd3 AC: 2#1d20+11 13 - 28, MISS - HIT
    1d12+4 6 + 1d8 2 = 8 damage.

Rock Dwarf 3 is bloodied.

All --- [Mountain Pass to Brixham - Bridge]

Matrim strikes the dwarf a final time before it cries out with a guttoral deep voice, speaking in Dwarven, so only Goresh can understand it.

[Please! No more, I surrender!] it wails, holding still in a defensive position, refusing to get up off it's back.

It's body language is obvious enough that one who doesn't speak dwarven would understand it's intentions anyways.

Spoiler
    Show

Rain of Steel: 2d4 3 damage.

Rock Dwarf 3 has taken 47 damage and is bloodied and prone.

Taken out all the battle stats unless you guys deem it necessary to continue.

End of battle stats
    Spoiler
    Show

Ravinna - 4 THP, 33/58 HP, 10/10 HS (Your sheet says 1 used?)
    Kalek - 19/54 HP, 6/7 HS
    Matrim - 5 THP, 59/65 HP, 9/11 HS
    Illyrion - 32/52 HP, 6/7 HS
    - Wild Soul (5 Cold)
    Goresh - 42/68 HP, 10/11 HS
    Merchant (Elric) - 10/40 HP, 1/1 HS
    Son (Peter) - 30/35 HP, 1/1 HS
    Last edited by Sipex; 2011-04-05 at 01:31 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160

GnomeWizardGuy

Goresh lifts his axe high above his head, ready to bring it down on his foe when he hears the cries of surrender. Slowly, the rage dissipates from him. After a moment, he regains his senses about him. He blinks at the rock dwarf for a moment before growling. Aggrevated, he brings his axe down, burying it beside the dwarf, near his head. He reaches down, picking up his axe in one hand and the dwarf in another. Speaking in dwarven, he yells in the rock dwarf's face, "ye coward! Ye don't fight like a dwarf, the least ye could do is die like one! Bah!" He tosses the dwarf to the ground, disgusted.

Goresh turns to his companions and says in common, "this 'un here is surrenderin'." Glancing back at the dwarf, he mutters, "don't ye doin' none o' that burrowin'. It'll be ye grave."
    Last edited by Emongnome777; 2011-04-05 at 11:50 AM.
    Emongnome

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Goresh mutters something to the Stone Dwarf who looks to be scared and ashamed for some reason. As the heat of battle dies down you all become aware of the light drizzle which has not given up during your journey.

"Amazing work, absolutely amazing!" Elric applauds as he and Peter come out of hiding, covered in mud. "I think I might need a short break before we continue though. Are we to cross over the slope?" he adds, checking his wounds as he re-joins the group.

Kalek seems to have wandered over to the broken bridge and is staring down the gap where it fell.

Spoiler
    Show

Short rest unless anyone objects (do so IC). Short rest allows you to regain use of all Encounter powers (including both charges of Ravinna's Majestic Word power). It also allows you to use healing surges freely to recover HP and Ravinna also has the song of rest she can use during this time.
    Last edited by Sipex; 2011-04-05 at 01:05 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

Matrim leaves his combat stance and holds his spear vertical in one hand, point up. He says to Goresh, "Tell him that he can stand up. He need not fear us any more if he will answer some questions and then leave and never return. If he refuses either of those conditions, he will die."
    Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live to serve. Our lives are yours.

Awesome Richard avatar by kpenguin!

13. - Top - End - #163

GnomeWizardGuy

"Get up. Now." Staring down at the dwarf, Goresh waits on the dwarf to stand. Even though his rage has subsided, he wants badly to separate the rock dwarf's head from his shoulders in one clean swipe of his axe. He resists, knowing that they need to learn what this creature knows, even if it means keeping their word and letting him go free.

"They want ta ask ya sum questions," pointing at the others. "Ye'd do well to answer 'em, and answer 'em honest. Do so, and ye live. Refuse, and yer dead. Understand?"
    Last edited by Emongnome777; 2011-04-05 at 02:21 PM.
    Emongnome

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

[Aye.] it replies simply [I will speak so your friends unnerstand me, though it migh' be off.]

"What?" it asks in common, already having trouble conveying it's words.

Spoiler
    Show
    While having Goresh be able to speak to it is awesome it will become cumbersome if he's the only one who can question it. It knows broken common though so you guys can participate and Goresh can still have an advantage being able to clarify questions or ask him more sophisticated questions.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kalek Emris

Kalek spins around and runs to the rock-dwarf, grabbing it by the neck, "Are you working for him? Where did he go? Tell me!" he shouts angrily at the dwarf, shaking him furiously. "I will not loose him again, you hear me?!"

Spoiler
    Show
    I take 2 healing surges, I'm at 45.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sipex View Post
    "Amazing work, absolutely amazing!" Elric applauds as he and Peter come out of hiding, covered in mud. "I think I might need a short break before we continue though. Are we to cross over the slope?" he adds, checking his wounds as he re-joins the group.
    "Not amazing enough to save the bridge, I'm afraid," Ravinnaa answers. "And a short break sounds absolutely perfect." She swings her songblade and sticks it into the rocky ground, point-first, leaving it to hum a soothing series of ambient tones while they rest.

Spoiler
    Show
    Song of Rest: Everyone, if you spent a healing surge, get an additional +5 hp per surge spent.

Sipex, that used HS was a typo, I haven't used any. But I'm using one now to heal 19 hp, bringing me to 52.

Ravinna notices the dog-man shaking their captive and immediately steps in. "Hey, Rover--I've got as many questions for you as for the dwarf," she snaps. "Who are you? Who is 'he'? Why did they attack the bridge? And if you knew they were going to attack, why didn't you warn us ahead of time?"

She walks up the slope a step so that she's staring eye-to-eye with the much taller beast-person. "Until you speak up, kindly take your paws off of our prisoner, thank you very much."
    Spod has it right.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

Matrim turns to the newcomer. "Thank you for your aid, it was well timed. Do you know that drow that seemed to be the leader of this band of brigands?"
    Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live to serve. Our lives are yours.

Awesome Richard avatar by kpenguin!

18. - Top - End - #168
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kalek Emris

He lets go of the dwarf and steps back, adjusting the gear on his body. "Firstly," he said almost hesitantly, "I go by Kalek. As for the dwarf-creature, I am not quite sure." Kalek begins to shrink about 3 or 4 inches, his wolf-like features disappear, leaving him looking like an elf. And a charming looking one too, of course depending on who's looking. After he finishes, he winks at the Bard. "Now, I am not quite sure who these things are, or why they attacked THIS bridge. But I do know who the Drow is. And he has been my business for quite some time now, I wouldn't want to get you involved." He scratches his head, "As for the warning, I needed to time it well so you wouldn't attack me, and so the Drow wouldn't escape- of course I failed in that." Kalek brushes the silver-blonde hair from his face and looks at the elf fighter, "As for your question, you're welcome. And brigands they might be, but more like dispensable mercenaries. The Drow uses anyone and anything like a tool.
    Before I go on, what are your names, and what are you doing here?
    Last edited by Honikan; 2011-04-06 at 01:04 AM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Ravinna calms down once the shapechanger begins answering her questions. She had expected him to resist, but she was willing to give him a chance now that he was showing a little respect.

"I'm Ravinna, this is Matrim, Goresh, and Illyrion," offers Ravinna, pointing to each in turn. "The two back there are Elric and his son, Peter. We're going to Brixham to see Elric's wife, who is due with their second child any day now. He hired us to protect him on the trip, which is starting to seem like it was a really good idea on his part."

She sighs, rubbing her face in frustration. "Beyond that, I have no idea what's going on or why we would be attacked like this, especially since they didn't even try to rob us or anything. If they just wanted to destroy the bridge, they could have done so at their leisure before we even showed up. It makes no sense!"

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd like to make sure that Elric is using a healing surge on himself, with the +5 bonus, too.
    Last edited by SPoD; 2011-04-06 at 02:40 AM.
    Spod has it right.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

All --- [Mountain Pass to Tarrow - Bridge]

Elric patches himself up as the party introduces themselves to Kalek and questions the 'rock dwarf'.

"Bridge." it says with a chuckle.

[He had planned to trap you on the bridge and cause it to fall, tell your friends that.] the rock dwarf informs Goresh in dwarven.

Spoiler
    Show

Done and done.

Elric regains 15 HP, now sitting at 25/40
    Last edited by Sipex; 2011-04-06 at 08:02 AM.

21. - Top - End - #171

GnomeWizardGuy

Goresh relays what the rock dwarf says (and will automatically do so from now on).

"What is the drow's name and who did he want ta kill? Elric or us? Why?"
    Emongnome

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

[I don't have his name and I'm unsure of his goals.] he replies in dwarven. He's hiding something and you can all tell it from his body language.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

"Well, forget about the name, Kalek here already knew it anyway. Let's focus on the goals," says Ravinna. "Answer this: How many other travelers passed over this bridge while you were waiting to attack? In other words, how many people did you let pass by before springing your trap?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy check: (1d20+13)[17]
    Spod has it right.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

"None." it replies to Ravinna.

[He lets no one walk the pass.] the rock dwarf explains to Goresh.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kalek Emris

"His name is unimportant right now, and as far as I know, he was targeting me. He must've known I was somewhere neer, hoping to draw me out. As I am targeting him as well." just as the next person opens their mouth to say "why?" he cuts them off, "ALSO, not important." He glances back quickly at where the bridge was, then turns returns his attention to the questioning.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

"My, you're presumptuous." Elric, a middle aged human merchant, pipes in, replying to Kalek. "and rude."

He approaches the group, it seems he's bandaged his wounds as best as he possibly could. He's also wiped some of the mud off his face. Peter, a young boy about 15 years of age, hangs back.

"I doubt you're special in his eyes." Elric continues. "That drow might explain why I haven't heard anything from the town in over a week."

Spoiler
    Show

No offense meant, just rolling with it.

Also, added descriptions for Kalek since he didn't originally meet these two.

edit: Added party stats to my sig, if you spend healing surges let me know and I'll update it. Updated Kalek's HP to full with the +5 to each surge Ravinna grants.
    Last edited by Sipex; 2011-04-06 at 03:39 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Orc in the Playground

Illyrion Wildwind, Halfling Sorcerer

Illyrion uses the time the group interrogates the rock dwarf to get some rest, deciding to remain silent and pay attention for now. When Elric has spoken, however, the halfling speaks up too. "Indeed, if what the dwarf has said is true and they haven't allowed anyone to cross the bridge, it seems likely that nobody would have been able to bring news to or from Brixham."

Spoiler
    Show
    I use 1 Healing Surge to get back to full health.
    Last edited by Acheron; 2011-04-06 at 03:48 PM.
    "Insanity: a perfect rational adjustment to an insane world." - R.D. Laing

28. - Top - End - #178
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kalek Emris

"I apologize for my rudeness," he gives a respectful bow, while keeping an eye on Ravinna to see her reaction, "I meant nothing by it, even though I have a history with the Drow. But why is this Brixham so important that these mercenaries would attack anyone, including us? Can you ask it that?" Kalek said to Goresh.

Spoiler
    Show
    I spend 2 healing surges, +10 from Ravinna brings me to full. And 3 surges spent.
    Last edited by Honikan; 2011-04-06 at 04:28 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179

GnomeWizardGuy

Goresh relays what Kalek asked to the rock dwarf. In dwarven, he adds, "Yer not tellin' us the whole truth. Start blabbin' what ye know or I'll kill ye where ye stand."

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate Check: (1d20+3)[17]
    Emongnome

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sipex View Post

"None." it replies to Ravinna.

[He lets no one walk the pass.] the rock dwarf explains to Goresh.
    "Hmm," Ravinna mutters. "Well, at least it's less likely that they were targeting us specifically."

Quote Originally Posted by Honikan View Post
    "His name is unimportant right now, and as far as I know, he was targeting me. He must've known I was somewhere neer, hoping to draw me out. As I am targeting him as well." just as the next person opens their mouth to say "why?" he cuts them off, "ALSO, not important." He glances back quickly at where the bridge was, then turns returns his attention to the questioning.
    "Sorry, Rover, I don't buy that it," Ravinna says. "If they only wanted to draw you out, they would have concentrated their attacks on you when you showed up and let the rest of us be. In fact, they knocked you out cold, and rather than kill you, they kept attacking the bridge. No, whatever your little vendetta with the drow, I'd say it only goes one way. They wanted all of us dead, and the bridge besides."
    Spod has it right.