New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Cha 11? [3.5]

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Cha 11? [3.5]

Why, conceptually or mechanically, should the Dragontouched feat have a prereq of 11 CHA? I just noticed that, and it's kind of baffling to me. (Kind of annoying, too, but mostly it's just baffling.) Can you think of any reason why it would be necessary to slap that kind of prereq on it, or is this up there with the +1 BAB prereq on Weapon Finesse (but not on Power Attack)?

In fact, are there any other feats that require 11 CHA? Seriously, that's weird.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Cha 11? [3.5]

This is a game that has a phantom hippopotamus bite you in a feat description. A low stat requirement is the least of your worries.

Welcome to this completely free and open boa

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Charisma represents a number of things, but most people seem to think of it as 'Force of Personality' (Backed up by the feat of the same name). As such, you need a certain amount of this force to manifest your draconic heritage (though not that feat). Without the charisma, a person who might have that touch of dragonblood in their veins might never realise and never have it manifest. With it the charisma, they can draw on their latent bloodline and bring it to bear.

Or something. That's my explanation. If you don't like the requirement, remove it.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

Hidden Talent, to use the power you gain without having levels in a manifesting class. But the other benefits of the feat - making you psionic and giving you a PP reserve - function regardless of your Cha level.

Quote Originally Posted by PlzBreakMyCmpAn View Post
    Welcome to this completely free and open boa
    "boa?"
    Last edited by Psyren; 2011-02-26 at 01:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Board. If you look at "Find More Posts," you'll find that PBMC quite often doesn't finish writing wor
    Last edited by SurlySeraph; 2011-02-26 at 02:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Combat Expertise: Int 13+.

OK, I see the reasoning...but basically unless a warrior-type is of above average IQ, you cut off an entire chain of combat feats to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    Board. If you look at "Find More Posts," you'll find that PBMC quite often doesn't finish writing wor
    No no no - he was talking about the great mystcial constrictor that runs this forum!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Combat Expertise: Int 13+.

OK, I see the reasoning...but basically unless a warrior-type is of above average IQ, you cut off an entire chain of combat feats to him.
    Johnny Fighter shed a single tear as Ye Olde Guidance Counselor told him that he would not be allowed to attend the AP Combat Expertise class, and suggested Metal Shop to him instead.
    Avatar by the one and only Ceika.
    "I'll be whatever I wanna do." - Philip J. Fry
    my fake wizard|my fake one-shot|my fake link

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    Charisma represents a number of things, but most people seem to think of it as 'Force of Personality' (Backed up by the feat of the same name). As such, you need a certain amount of this force to manifest your draconic heritage (though not that feat). Without the charisma, a person who might have that touch of dragonblood in their veins might never realise and never have it manifest. With it the charisma, they can draw on their latent bloodline and bring it to bear.

Or something. That's my explanation. If you don't like the requirement, remove it.
    Yeah, pretty much this. WoTC had a general theme of dragons=charisma (See sorcerers, spellscales, Dragontouched, DFAs using Charisma to determine invocation DCs, a few other draconic feats). Then again, it's more 'powerful=charisma (see demons, devils, dragons, celestials, abominations, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    No no no - he was talking about the great mystcial constrictor that runs this forum!
    Oh, that guy.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

If Dragontouched has Cha 11 as a prerequisite, then Charisma damage can cause you to lose the Dragonblood subtype. If you're playing with the retarded rule about losing prereqs, a feat that changes your race, type, or subtype probably shouldn't have prereqs.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I find it odd that it's only 11. Seems like 13 is the default ability score requirement for feats, except for a few 15s like with TWF.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Annulus View Post
    I find it odd that it's only 11. Seems like 13 is the default ability score requirement for feats, except for a few 15s like with TWF.
    See, that's what I mean. I can't think of anything else that actually has a prereq of 11 CHA—or, indeed, 11 anything (sure, there are a few things that require 11 CHA to use, but not too many that require 11 CHA to take). It's weird and kind of arbitrary (not to mention that it pretty much hoses a character idea I had—kind of a dumb idea anyway, but still).

"Why CHA?" is fairly easy to answer (it's a stupid reason if you ask me, but I can kind of see it, even if I don't like it). "Why 11?" is much trickier. Hell, 11's kind of a hard number to get. When's the last time you allocated a point buy in such a way to leave a stat at 11? You don't want 11. You want 10 (if you don't care), 8 (if you really don't care), or 12+ (if you ever intend to use it). 13, at least, is a standard prereq number (I bet you can find at least one feat per stat that requires 13 in that stat), but 11 is just out of left field.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Only thing I can think of is you need 11 to cast 1st level Sorcerer spells, which I guess could be seen as the "bare minimum of draconic-ness"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

My best guess for the Cha 11 prerequisite: it is the lowest possible Charisma for a sorcerer. As a Cha 11 allows the use of 1st level spells.
    Yes, you could have a 10 and only use 0th level spells. But what would be the point? But I agree with Amnestic's logic on the why.

EDIT: darn ninjas
    Last edited by lightningcat; 2011-02-26 at 11:18 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC
    Transformers RPG Now Updated as PDFs on Google Drive.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lightningcat View Post
    My best guess for the Cha 11 prerequisite: it is the lowest possible Charisma for a sorcerer. As a Cha 11 allows the use of 1st level spells.
    Yes, you could have a 10 and only use 0th level spells. But what would be the point? But I agree with Amnestic's logic on the why.

EDIT: darn ninjas
    Well feats always have odd stat requirements, so that is why 11 would be chosen over 10.
    Definition of DMPC:
    1: a character that if it was run by a non-DM would be considered a PC; a special kind of Ally (see p. 104 of the 3.5 DMG)
    2: (derogatory) any character used by a DM that disrupts the game
    Need to replace those core 3.5 books, check out Gauric Myths.