New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flaming Ale!

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Flaming Ale!

Just wondering if beer and ale work differently in the worlds of pen-and-paper RPGs.

I've seen a lot of stories on these forums where players blow up kegs of beer or set pools of ale aflame.

Now, I understand that a lot of RPers are not old enough to drink, so haven't had the chance to actually try to light beer on fire IRL.

That being said, if you're having fun you're having fun.

Our interim DM- while we wait for a player to return so we can get back to my campaign- does not rely heavily on logic.

So, how about you post your favorite flaming beer story.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Currently running:
    4e O Theophagus.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Flaming Ale!

Not technically a flaming ale story, but there is a substance in my campaign world called Dwarven Chewing Ale. It's a dark, fibrous material that comes in blocks, is highly addictive, potent, flamable, and somewhat mind-altering. At the moment, nobody knows precisely what it *is*, but at least one group of PCs uses it as a last resort. You know the players are out of ideas when one of them puts his head into his hands and mutters, "Throw the Ale."

It was invented by a conversation between players, comparing RL beers. I mentioned that I don't drink beer very often, but when I do I prefer dark beers. I believe my quote was "If you can see an incandescent light through the beer, it's not dark enough." To which one player replied "Yeah, something you can cut with a knife!", and finally another player said "Chewy!".... we sat there for a second, blinking. Then the giggling started and Dwarven Chewing Ale was born!
    Fhaolan by me! Raga avatar by Mephibosheth!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fhaolan View Post
    Dwarven Chewing Ale!
    Awesome, I may have to steal that.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Currently running:
    4e O Theophagus.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tennic View Post
    Awesome, I may have to steal that.
    Yeah, seconded.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tennic View Post
    Just wondering if beer and ale work differently in the worlds of pen-and-paper RPGs.

I've seen a lot of stories on these forums where players blow up kegs of beer or set pools of ale aflame.

Now, I understand that a lot of RPers are not old enough to drink, so haven't had the chance to actually try to light beer on fire IRL.

That being said, if you're having fun you're having fun.

Our interim DM- while we wait for a player to return so we can get back to my campaign- does not rely heavily on logic.

So, how about you post your favorite flaming beer story.
    <morbo>That's not how beer works!</morbo>

Beer is primarily water. If you throw a match into it, it's going to go out. If you pour your tankard on the campfire, it's going to extinguish it (watching an idiot do this to a campfire I've laboriously built is probably at least partially at the root of this pet peeve).

Even most hard liquor is mostly water (most liquors are in the 40-90 proof range); if you want to light it on fire, it had better be already fairly hot, so that you're vaporizing the alcohol.

I'm not even sure that very high proof alcohol (180+ proof) would really be be explosive; you can light that on fire without pre-heating it, but it burns with a relatively cool flame compared to other materials... and even extremely pure ethanol is only about 2/3 the energy of gasoline.

Quote Originally Posted by Fhaolan View Post
    It was invented by a conversation between players, comparing RL beers. I mentioned that I don't drink beer very often, but when I do I prefer dark beers. I believe my quote was "If you can see an incandescent light through the beer, it's not dark enough." To which one player replied "Yeah, something you can cut with a knife!", and finally another player said "Chewy!".... we sat there for a second, blinking. Then the giggling started and Dwarven Chewing Ale was born!
    Oddly enough... many dark beers are actually lighter than "light" beers. When you make a black and tan (a layered drink with a stout or porter on to of a pale ale) with (for example) Guinness draught and Bass pale ale, you float the Guinness on top of the Bass because it's lighter.
    Last edited by Jayabalard; 2011-03-01 at 05:39 PM.
    Kungaloosh!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

For explosions you need pressure. I'm not actually sure that anything not held in a confined container can actually explode.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    For explosions you need pressure. I'm not actually sure that anything not held in a confined container can actually explode.
    Anything that reacts quickly enough can explode. pressure helps, since it tends to increase the speed of reactions, but isn't strictly necessary (sea level atmospheric pressure is sufficient in some cases).
    Last edited by Jayabalard; 2011-03-01 at 05:41 PM.
    Kungaloosh!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

It's good to know there are some sensible people out there.

I brought the matter up after the game tonight and we all had big laugh and everyone loved the idea of Dwarven Chewing Ale. We started discussing higher proof beers (too cloying for me) and finally devolved into a general discussion of drunkenness and favorites alcohols. One guy still thought it was the alcohol that burns- as opposed to the vapor- and had to be disabused of the notion.

Anyway, as we all know, D&D is not a game that sticks too closely to real world science. One of the players brought up the goofiness of not only shooting a lightning bolt from your hand, but then having it bounce off walls (as in some of the older rulesets).

Still, the flaming ale stories give me a chuckle. If you got 'em, flaunt 'em here.

Currently running:
    4e O Theophagus.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

In my games of Kobolds Ate My Baby, all booze is roughly as combustible as gasoline until proven otherwise.

That said, in more serious games, it takes something a bit stronger than ale to catch fire.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, in normal conditions, ale won't burn, unless its something crazy that the Dwarves are calling Ale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Just as Dwarven Bread is not meant for consumption, Dwarven Ale is meant for industrial application. That doesn't stop them from drinking it, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Gamer cancels life, interrupted by Dwarf Fortress.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Does a dwarf count as a confined container? After all, most dwarven alcohols are so flammable that drinking too much of it before sitting by the fire can cause you to explode.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

In a mildly off note, I always rule dwarven ale as 220 proof.

But yeah, ale shouldent burn like gasoline. Doesn't stop it from doing it though.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yeturs View Post
    In a mildly off note, I always rule dwarven ale as 220 proof.

But yeah, ale shouldent burn like gasoline. Doesn't stop it from doing it though.
    Your dwarves have managed to make an ale that's 110% alcohol. That's impressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBoundFencer
    NOBODY POST I AM HUGGING AN INFERNAL

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

I've already posted this once and it was more in-depth but my friend had a dwarven cleric that filled a cleric with holy ale and we drowned a lich in it while it was on fire.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by senrath View Post
    Your dwarves have managed to make an ale that's 110% alcohol. That's impressive.
    Not really. For a dwarf, that's "Tuesday".

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by icantsavemyself View Post
    I've already posted this once and it was more in-depth but my friend had a dwarven cleric that filled a cleric with holy ale and we drowned a lich in it while it was on fire.
    You drowned a lich in another cleric?
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey McBannert View Post
    To quote Hermes Conrad, "That just raises further questions!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

My players found a cart in a zombie infested city being pulled by a zombie mule. Inside the cart were multiple barrels of beer/ale. During difficult fights, the Half-Dragon would fly into the air and drop a barrel of beer onto the enemies, breath-weaponing it right before it struck the ground and causing large explosions.
    Bienvenue Au Kébec !!!
    Improve Kébec's Industry!
    Improve Kébec's Transport!
    Improve Kébec's Security!

My Trophies!

Spoiler
    Show

Also, if anyone has any sort of problem at all that they feel like talking about, my PM box is open.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Flamingo ale is less common, put so much more effective (as long as they are not the pink plastic type...)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jayabalard View Post
    Even most hard liquor is mostly water (most liquors are in the 40-90 proof range); if you want to light it on fire, it had better be already fairly hot, so that you're vaporizing the alcohol.

I'm not even sure that very high proof alcohol (180+ proof) would really be be explosive; you can light that on fire without pre-heating it, but it burns with a relatively cool flame compared to other materials...
    Speaking of vodka, 40% doesn't really burn, 60% doesn't burn very well, but 80% burns pretty nicely. I don't know how that translates to "proofs", though.

On unrelated news, the ease of burning seems to correlate negatively with the ease of drinking it pure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Yeah, in normal conditions, ale won't burn, unless its something crazy that the Dwarves are calling Ale.
    41% isn't "beer" any real sense of the word.

Besides, they've overdone themselves since then.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Speaking of vodka, 40% doesn't really burn, 60% doesn't burn very well, but 80% burns pretty nicely. I don't know how that translates to "proofs", though.
    80% would be 160 proof, if I'm remembering correctly. It's also quite a ways past what a human can comfortably drink, I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBoundFencer
    NOBODY POST I AM HUGGING AN INFERNAL

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Some guys in Norway have been able to make moonshine well into the 90s Though I don't know if it was more like a "manly experiment with a destillery" then intended for drinking.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

80% would be 160 proof, if I'm remembering correctly. It's also quite a ways past what a human can comfortably drink, I believe.
    I agree, it really hurts the throat.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

depends on where you are.

in the US, proof = 2 * percentage of alcohol by volume.
    in the UK, they've switched to just using the %, but when they did proof it was 7/4 of the abv.

I really have no idea for most of the rest of the world though

Quick Origin (for people like me who like to know such things): the term proof had to do with sustaining combustion of gunpowder; to show that the rum hadn't been watered down, you'd prove it by mixing some gunpowder with it and then trying to ignite it. If it burned, then it was 100 proof. This only worked if the rum was ~57% alcohol or higher ... which is where the 7/4 above comes from, 4/7 = .5714 or 57.14%.
    Last edited by Jayabalard; 2011-03-02 at 02:27 PM.
    Kungaloosh!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey McBannert View Post
    Sorry, cleric was supposed to be crater. haha

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Some guys in Norway have been able to make moonshine well into the 90s Though I don't know if it was more like a "manly experiment with a destillery" then intended for drinking.
    It was drunken dilluted, like in coffee or cola or something. Most famous was the hot steaming cups of coffe able to pass the blue flame test of 100 proof boose!
    But that is history. It used to be no laws against BUYING it or drinking, but the stills vanished when there came prohibitions, gradually. When I tasted moonshine in coffe in the 90s as a teenager, it was legal!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, just to continue the WTF with dwarves in my campaign world, one player has proposed that dwarven nobility partake of a far more refined version of Dwarven Chewing Ale, having dried it even further and powdered it to use like a snuff. This creates Dwarven Sniffing Ale, commonly known as Snale.

Which leads to non-dwarves getting *really* confused and thinking that dwarves make a habit of stuffing live snails up their noses.
    Fhaolan by me! Raga avatar by Mephibosheth!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Not really, they just teleport the extra alcohol in

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

The problem with alcohol distilled to that level is that it has no flavor compared to stuff that hasn't been distilled so much. This is caused by 2 things:
    • Most of the flavor in your source ingredients (Wort when making beer, or mash when making whiskey) get lost while distilling, since distilling removes as much of the non-alcohol as you can.
    • You can't do a lot of barrel maturing, since the purer the alcohol is the more you lose to the "angels' share". This is where a lot of beverages (for example: whiskey, congac, sherry) get a significant portion of their flavors.

It's good as a solvent, but as a beverage by itself... not so much.
    Last edited by Jayabalard; 2011-03-02 at 02:55 PM.
    Kungaloosh!