New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Fun Ways to annoy the DM

I'm playing d&d 4e and I'm looking for new and exciting ways to get my DM to facepalm and/or send a mob of angry half-orcs against us. Any Suggestions?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Fun Ways to annoy the DM

Quote Originally Posted by harrisonic View Post
    I'm playing d&d 4e and I'm looking for new and exciting ways to get my DM to facepalm and/or send a mob of angry half-orcs against us. Any Suggestions?
    Well, if you want an angry half-orc mob, you could try buying him a bunch of half-orc minis, maybe? Then he might find an irresistable urge to use them.

As for the facepalm... I've got nothing.
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

This sounds like a bad idea.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Why, exactly, do you want to fight half-orcs?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Make funny faces. All the time.
    "What can change the nature of a man?"
    __
    Guybrush Threepwood avatar by Ceika

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I suggest attempting to push things off any and all cliffs you find.
    BEEP.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aemoh87 View Post
    This sounds like a bad idea.
    Yeah, definately. I just assumed the OP has a deathwish and therefore realised as much.
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Insist to shake your dice all the time (in a plastic cup) to "keep them tuned up".

9. - Top - End - #9
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

How about don't even try? Both as a player and as a DM, I find the game much more fun if the players and DM are working together, rather than trying to annoy or one-up each other. Now, your group might be different from my groups, but it's something you might want to consider before trying to annoy your DM.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

My DM gets annoyed whenever I do an evil laugh, while saying "all according to plan!" whenever something I do goes according to plan. Doubly annoyed when my plan is on paper.

He also gets annoyed whenever I solve something by getting eaten.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Well the only time i've ever annoyed the DM was when he trapped us on a little island-plane of existence, cut off from everything else to the point where when we reached the end of the plane it just dropped off into nothingness...

Well, there were these villagers and since this was a magic that no one in the DM's world has ever seen before i decided to experiment...by pushing the villagers, the last remaining non-servants of the big bad and quest givers alive, off of the edge of the plane. For SCIENCE!

Then we all died one-by-one because apparently one of them had an item that we needed...
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

12. - Top - End - #12

BardGuy

Ask for people's names.

Not just big NPC's that you are supposed to meet. Go get a watermelon.

"Hello Watermelon vendor, what is your name?"

Ask if he has a wife or kids. What are their names?

Go to the local tavern and by the beer wench a drink. What's her name?

If you ever get to a town of only 40 people or so, be sure to get as many of their names as possible.

Also backstories!

Why is the watermelon seller selling watermelons? Perhaps he should think of strawberries. Everyone likes strawberries.

Beer wench, what do you think of manly tattoos? Would you be impressed if I got a tattoo of your name on my forearm?

Hello there little halfling girl, do you like cats? I like cats. I think cats are amazing. But... I also heard dogs are good too. Do you think you like cats or dogs more?

And about that time in the game half orcs will be charging your way.

Good luck with that.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground

I would insist on consulting The Slayer's Guide to Game Masters, which details several ways to "beat" your gm. It presents three categories: Control Freak (Gms with a God complex), Storytellers, and Accidental GMs, and provides guidelines for dealing with them. It's not a serious book, but it could be informative. As a side note, if you don't mind a little destruction is to offer to get a soda for your gm, then shake it up, and give it to them. The results speak for themselves.
    Avatar created by Nada Rakshasa.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sillycomic View Post
    Ask for people's names.
    You have won the internet, sir.

^_^ In an old game of ours, the most important person in the world, insofar as we were concerned, was the aged owner of the extremely irrelevant pastry shop which the DM rolled a natural 20 on the Craft(food) check for.

That man got so much of our attention and everything that I'm not completely sure why he didn't retire. Two characters got into a fist-fight over who would get to ask the man to take over the shop when he was gone.
    Beginnings usually happen over trifles... even if it's a coincidence...

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

This is the point at which I get out the fantasy name generator and my large capacity for creating random NPCs.

The only way my players have ever annoyed me is to assume there is a railroad and try to find the tracks. In their defense, they were used to CRPGs and didn't know that you could have a game without railroading...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Make a neverending stream of Monty Python quotes, until the dm physically strangles you, the player.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I don't see why one would want to do this. Having your PC annoy NPC in story, sure, that can be in character for trickster Robin Goodfellow type of character. But purposely annoying the DM, why? It seems more then a little childish and practically counts as griefing. If you succeed, all you're doing is ruining other peoples fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Ask for people's names.
    That will work one time. After that the DM will catch on, at which point he'll detail every. single. aspect. of a person's life. They'll talk your ear off. Do you really want to hear Mr. Watermelon Vendor's entire lifestory when it takes 90 minutes of non-stop exposition?
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

You mean you have to try? My players seem to have the mystical ability to annoy me with every single thing they do... EVERY SINGLE THING THEY DO!

20. - Top - End - #20

Ask for people's names.
    That wouldn't even confuse me. Actually names would confuse me more than backstories. If they asked for them I might even throw them a plot hook or a random quest made up on the spot. If I knew a player wanted to meet a horde of orcs he would find them in the sidequest...

My players asked quite a bit of crazy/normal questions. One of those had as a consequence a city guardsman becoming a wealthiest man in his city. Please don't ask for details it's a LONG story.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I used to think my players were just stupid, now I wonder if it is more diabolic than that. *note to self, develop paranoia* This text is above your clearance level. Please report to the nearest termination booth. Also wrong paranoia, although this one is fun. Mandatory fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Only 1925 of them.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Ask for people's names.
    Which reminds me, I need to type up a new random-name-generator-by-culture for my new setting. This was annoying me last session, when I hadn't bothered to come up with one of the PC's lackeys until he was actually talking to him.
    Last edited by Drakevarg; 2011-03-03 at 03:23 AM.
    If asked the question "how can I do this within this system?" answering with "use a different system" is never a helpful or appreciated answer.

ENBY

24. - Top - End - #24

NinjaGuy

1. Make a hybrid character, Half Orc half Deva also a Thief/Paladin. Say you have multiple personalities. Steal from you party upon occasion and also scold yourself

2. Keep mentioning that the DM would never throw strong monsters against you guys and that the traps are easy to bypass.

3. When ever combat rounds come up mention how these kobalds are going down, even though they are high-Demons.

4. When he misses an attack against you say how invincible you are and that your armor is so Awesome.

5. When he hits you and does only a few points of damage say "did a mosquito bite me?"
    Haggis is Sheep's stomach filled with its intestines.

My blog "Awkward GM"

25. - Top - End - #25

DwarfFighterGuy

Yes. Close the door on your way out.

-DF

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DontEatRawHagis View Post
    1. Make a hybrid character, Half Orc half Deva also a Thief/Paladin. Say you have multiple personalities. Steal from you party upon occasion and also scold yourself

2. Keep mentioning that the DM would never throw strong monsters against you guys and that the traps are easy to bypass.

3. When ever combat rounds come up mention how these kobalds are going down, even though they are high-Demons.

4. When he misses an attack against you say how invincible you are and that your armor is so Awesome.

5. When he hits you and does only a few points of damage say "did a mosquito bite me?"
    While wonky I think this type of character would be fun to have in the party.

When you say annoy/facepalm I take it you don't mean serious annoyance but more like fun annoyance.

1) Apply physics and chemistry as often as possible. My players have effectively broken out of jail by eating charcoal because I gave them some in game.

Interesting fact: When ingested, Charcoal gives you massive diarehha.

My players also constantly use lightning based items and spells on water and metal because in physics it should work. Caught me off guard the first time.

2) Get mage hand and prestidigitation, this can be done without being a wizard. When used creatively these two beauties can throw your DM off regularily.

3) Attempt to disarm any armed enemies. After a while your DM will come up with some way to handle it but it'll really thow him through a loop at first.

4) Buy lots and lots of different wonderous items with different effects. My game has been broken many a time due to these things.

27. - Top - End - #27

Your best way to make your DM do a facepalm is to look for creative ways to leverage innocent items, even the disadvantages.

An alchemist I played once started the game with essence of fluff as one of his apprentice projects, so he applied it to the soles of his boots to get water walking. The boots became less effective because they absorbed water- so I started looking for ways to use soggy boots to good effect. Find creative uses for the soggy boots, and you get your facepalm.

This turns you into a resourceful player, an asset to the party, and you aren't annoying in the process, but you still get to indulge in the fun and silliness.
    I drive a quantum car- every time I look down at the speedometer, I get lost.

As a juggler, I may not always be smarter than a banana. However, bananas aren't often surrounded by children asking for hugs and autographs.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Accents. Perhaps your Barbarian always speaks in a badly done Arnold Schwarzanegger impression at all times.

Perhaps your Bard talks like mock-elvis?

Perhaps your halflings talk like rednecks or cajuns, your Orcs like the Welsh, or your Dwarves like the most stereotypical, speedy-gonzales style mexican types?

Perhaps you speak in your characters voice through the whole session, even when not in character?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

When asked what type of elf you are, the correct response is "Keebler".

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

quote monty python ALL THE TIME
    base a character off Dennis the Peasant
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!