Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #779 - The Discussion Thread

Marvellous work.

I think some readers are invoking the PSoI thinking it will goad the Giant into killing Belkar here. It happens when it does, whether here, by Snarl, or by cucumber sandwich.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

biggrin Re: OOTS #779 - The Discussion Thread

Oh lead sheet, how I missed you.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bwahahahahahahahah

I bet the heroic dude is going to be anti-climatically killed in his fight with Belkar.

Doll me by Recaiden
    I do avatars! PM me
    Check out my blog!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Teutonic Knight and Akrim.elf for the awesome DYF avatars

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Warlorn View Post
    It's a pity this guy's seemingly genuine sense of justice and honor isn't going be a powerful enough lance to pierce Belkar's Protagonist Shield Of Invincibility.
    I'm thinking all the extra levels are as important as the protagonist status - assuming the random guy isn't a super high level who is so excessively lawful he refuses to escape.

Personally, I'd prefer to see Belkar one shotted like he did to the gnome - by a complete stranger who doesn't even care who he is. Preferably one who happens to be a paladin.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Shweet! Belkar is always working an angle!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

And the weapon handed to Belkar that he'll use to kill gladiator dude: breadsticks.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

8. - Top - End - #68

Rich has thrown a big twist in here. The warden gave us the basic setup: one of them defends a weaker guy from bullies, weaker guy gets killed, stronger guy gets vengeance. We were led to believe that this guy was the stronger one of the pair. But his buddy hasn't even been in the arena yet, so there can't be vengeance. So this guy must really be the weaker gladiator. And who's been defending him from bullies, and giving his bread away? Why, it's Roy. So Roy will kill Belkar in a big climactic match.
    Last edited by Yendor; 2011-03-06 at 08:30 PM.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Geno9999 View Post
    Last panel: Brick joke for the WIN!
    Isn't it more of a Call Back than a Brick Joke? Or is my Trope-Fu weak here?
    Last edited by RebelRogue; 2011-03-06 at 09:22 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cho_j View Post
    I'm not entirely sure, but I assume she was saying it because the goblins are in fact oppressing the humans, so it's a NON-sarcastic use of Belkar's old outburst. When he said it, he was play-acting and trying to rile Miko up. When Niu says it, she means every word and whispering so as not to be heard. I REALLY like how perfectly reversed the moment is.
    I know that, I mean why she actually said it. She's hiding, speaking aloud isn't the brightest idea at the time. Plus it's a statement that directly addresses someone ("you ethnocentric bitch!"), which doesn't make sense for her to just whisper to herself. It just doesn't seem like she's in a situation where she'd actually use that line, appropriate for the overall state of Azure City or not.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    Rich has thrown a big twist in here. The warden gave us the basic setup: one of them defends a weaker guy from bullies, weaker guy gets killed, stronger guy gets vengeance. We were led to believe that this guy was the stronger one of the pair. But his buddy hasn't even been in the arena yet, so there can't be vengeance. So this guy must really be the weaker gladiator. And who's been defending him from bullies, and giving his bread away? Why, it's Roy. So Roy will kill Belkar in a big climactic match.
    What happened to unexplored homosexual overtone and rejecting amorous advancement of beautiful noble woman?
    "A good way to get a decent person to do something horrible is to convince them that they're not responsible for their actions" - Director Cedrik - OOTS #640

"Geez! You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head!''
    _ "Where else would a crown go?"

12. - Top - End - #72
    Halfling in the Playground

Belkar/Gladiator confrontation is very nicely set up.

1/ Nobody imagines Belkar, a protagonist, been killed by a random guy without a name.

2/ But, as someone stressed, it would make sense to see the random killer been killed by a random guy.

3/ The gladiator looks too confident to die in the Arena.

Well, we'll see but as a fan of Mr. Scruffy's companion, I really hope he stays with us a little bit more.
    Last edited by QDI; 2011-03-06 at 08:58 PM.
    QDI

I am a Mystic Theurge. I go to bed with more spells prepared than you start the day with.

So many spells. So few that can be cast while being grappled.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks azuyomi244 for the avatar!

13. - Top - End - #73

I'm guessing it's going to end with a thumbs up.
    Steam ID
    Chained Cambion Avatar by Elder Tsofu.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by QDI View Post
    Belkar/Gladiator confrontation is very nicely set up.

1/ Nobody imagines Belkar, a protagonist, been killed by a random guy without a name.

2/ But, as someone stressed, it would make sense to see the random killer been killed by a random guy.

Well, we'll see but as a fan of Mr. Scruffy's companion, I really hope he stays with us a little bit more.
    Come on, the odds are a million-to-one against the mook killing Belkar!
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

15. - Top - End - #75

Quote Originally Posted by M.A.D View Post
    What happened to unexplored homosexual overtone and rejecting amorous advancement of beautiful noble woman?
    Well, there's this strip for starters. (Justice Guy isn't there, but it's along the right lines.) And he never said it would be the same one who attracted the noblewoman.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Hehehehe... nice self-quote at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by QDI View Post
    ...because that would be anti-climax and disappointing. So it probably won't happen.

Your reasoning is based on a pun? A bad pun that doesn't even make much sense?
    No. Nobody ever called Belkar "the random killer", and matter of fact is he doesn't kill "at random".
    Even if he did, this sillogism would still be poor. It would not make sense.

The gladiator looks obviously like a pompous Lawful Stupid (or Stupid Good, if you wish) guy, reminding us of Miko, as LAMPSHADED IN CLEAR LETTERS by Belkar himself... so we won't feel too bad about a main character killing a good-aligned NPC.
    Remember the Azurite guard? The one that got resurrected? It's unlikely that any gladiator Belkar gets to fight will be resurrected. So... it has to be some **** that we don't like and don't really care about.

Since the comics started, the Giant went to a great length to keep Belkar's collateral damage at a minimum, at least for the good guys. It's the only way to keep a Token Evil Member in the party for such a long time.
    Of course, if he has to go... this could change any minute... and he could kill really anyone.
    The Miko rip-off still doesn't have a chance, either way...

17. - Top - End - #77

SamuraiGuy

While it is entirely possible and even likely that Belkar is going to kill the other gladiator, it would be a good chance for him to show off his fake character development by showing mercy. Occasionally in these types of stories, a gladiator does win points with the crowd that way. That or he might steal Roy's idea of getting in good with Tarquin by being the most efficient killer on the field.

In either case, Belkar's not dying here, and in my opinion, not even in this arc. He still has to save Hinjo again before he dies.

18. - Top - End - #78

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jimor View Post
    Come on, the odds are a million-to-one against the mook killing Belkar!
    Don't forget that that means it is a sure thing. A copper piece may have changed hands already.
    Last edited by Kareasint; 2011-03-06 at 09:41 PM.
    FTDWIR

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    As much as the revolution in Goblintopia (formerly known as Azure City) would be very interesting, I feel that it's kind of irrelevant to all of the important characters and the main story line. And it would steal attention from the current story line which imo is more interesting.
    Agreed. If we see anything more than the occasional glance back at Azure City, it will probably be as bonus material in the next book. There's no reason for any strips to focus there anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos rising View Post
    Who else thinks that the "heroic" gladiator is going to get slaughtered?
    I do. As others have pointed out, this guy killing Belkar would be random and pointless, and not at all good storytelling. Much more interesting is the question of whether Belkar will kill the gladiator or use this opportunity to advance his fake character development.

20. - Top - End - #80

Ian easily made the "Listen" check in panel 2 (I assume the small type in Roy's and Belkar's balloons suggest they're speaking sotto voce), and also seems to have a very accurate grasp of Belkar's nature (...or is that just Ian's paranoia speaking?), but completely fails any sort of "Sense Motive" against Geoff, whose comments concerning Bozzek are very suspicous.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rewinn View Post
    Ian easily made the "Listen" check in panel 2 (I assume the small type in Roy's and Belkar's balloons suggest they're speaking sotto voce), and also seems to have a very accurate grasp of Belkar's nature (...or is that just Ian's paranoia speaking?), but completely fails any sort of "Sense Motive" against Geoff, whose comments concerning Bozzek are very suspicous.
    It's possible he simply hasn't made any. Remember, he always trusts family, "for good or ill".

Bozzok mentioned he sent letters to his friends on the western continent, and Ian always gets caught while trying to escape. Anybody else see a connection here?
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

22. - Top - End - #82
    Pixie in the Playground

I forgot about the lead sheet... nice to see it again
    All the weak and sinful of this world will look up to me and shout "Save Us!" and i will laugh and laugh and point to the sign that clearly indicates that i take cash and most major credit cards

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

YES! That's my one of my favorite Belkar lines. Giant you ROCK!
    Perception is reality.

Non Sum Qualis Eram.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

That. Was. Beautiful.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Halfling in the Playground

@Raistlin82: I mostly agree with you.

Just a point: Miko was "lawful stupid", this guy seems more to be a "Stupid good" whose death is a bit harder to justify.

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    Much more interesting is the question of whether Belkar will kill the gladiator or use this opportunity to advance his fake character development.
    Good point.
    Last edited by QDI; 2011-03-06 at 11:30 PM.
    QDI

I am a Mystic Theurge. I go to bed with more spells prepared than you start the day with.

So many spells. So few that can be cast while being grappled.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks azuyomi244 for the avatar!

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Yet another very funny strip in a long line of funny strips. I love the brick joke in the last panel!
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

27. - Top - End - #87
    Banned

Lizardfolk

I don't see anything "stupid good" about Belkar's opponent. He seems to be a genuinely good man who is outraged at Belkar's bullying and wishes nothing more than to deliver pure, righteous justice at the point of a sword.

It will be interesting to see if Belkar does his typical "bounce around everywhere like a crazed munchkin" combat technique - despite the fact that he has been without his Ring of Jumping +20 ever since being arrested. He did it in #748 - plot hole?

28. - Top - End - #88
    Pixie in the Playground

Giant, you are truly magnificent. Such a good comic, to incorporate the sneaking dinosaur, and then the Belkar callback...just...magnificent. We truly love this comic. So say we all.

Cheers!
    Cheers to Telasi for the awesome Avvy.
    Avvy is Zira Phe'ar, the Black Queen
    http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/o...Ungolhir-1.png
    http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/o...olhir-Xmas.png

29. - Top - End - #89
    Firbolg in the Playground

Awesome. I love Belkar, although his attempt to gain Ian's favor annoyed me. I'm very curious about Geoff now, he seemed very concerned or disbelieving that Bozzak might be dead. I'm looking forward to the next strip now, which I bet will have Belkar fighting Other-Guy (who lead the attack against Belkar the first time.)

Also, I love the name and callback. It's nice to see That Niu and Thanh are doing okay.
    Last edited by MoonCat; 2011-03-06 at 10:59 PM.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Belkar is supposed to savour his birthday cake first, so he's not dying any time soon
    "A good way to get a decent person to do something horrible is to convince them that they're not responsible for their actions" - Director Cedrik - OOTS #640

"Geez! You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head!''
    _ "Where else would a crown go?"