New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Villanious Characters. But Heroic People: Or, Guys Who Look Evil, But Aren't

Anyway, this is a more general question for the fictional world at large, but I am intrigued by the concept of a traditionally "villainous" character archetype being well, not all that evil. Since this concept has fertile ground in tabletop, I decided to ask it here.

Take, for example, the scientist that desires to create a new race of atomic supermen of humanity, one that transcends it's physical flaws and puts other mortals to shame. Now, in most worlds, he'd be an unambiguously bad guy, an arrogant mastermind that sees no problem in destroying all life that doesn't fit his image. But what if, say, he comes from Exalted: his motives come from the fact that he genuinely sees the less-than-enviable state of mortals in Creation, and he wants to remove the "Die Horribly" Charm from their "reflexive" list. When it comes down to it, he's a genuinely philanthropic doctor who just has a wide definition of his Hippocratic Oath.

Now, he could still be a villain. I admit that. Now, however, he has sympathetic reasons for being a villain, and he could very easily be a hero without many changes to his moral code.

So, what characters do you have that traditionally fall under the "villain" page of TV Tropes, but are genuinely heroic in the Western sense of the term?
    Last edited by Leliel; 2011-03-08 at 05:32 PM.
    My Homestuck role is Thane of Space of the Land of Insanity and Frogs.

The Malkavians would be proud.

Thanks to Mokipi for the Exalted avatar!

For avatars of your own, he's on White Wolf.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Villanious Characters. But Heroic People: Or, Guys Who Look Evil, But Aren't

Some would probably cite Lex Luthor. Perhaps Ozymandias. Magneto. Most of the "Well-Intentioned Extremist" crowd probably fit in some form or another.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Villanious Characters. But Heroic People: Or, Guys Who Look Evil, But Aren't

Definitely Ozymandias but I don't see magneto due to his stance of harming non-mutants (now him founding a nation of only mutants? that qualifies)

I don't necessarily know about in story type characters but I know the "good" necromancer thats been asked about a couple times on these boards would fit mechanically. So would the Malconvoker.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avy by spectralphoenix

Sammael, Aasimar Blackguard

Avys by Neoseph07

Astaroth, Human Lich Dragon Disciple

Jophiel, Gray Elf Mystic Theurge

<--Naamah Vampire Illusionist

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I could see Magneto, but only if he was in his Asteroid M phase, aka how about we just move instead of killing off homo sapien and takin' their land?

Have you read the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson? The if-you-have-you-know-who-I'm-talking-about could fall under this heading.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    Have you read the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson? The if-you-have-you-know-who-I'm-talking-about could fall under this heading.
    Yeah, him.

Poor bastard. Just trying to keep a God of Destruction in check.
    My Homestuck role is Thane of Space of the Land of Insanity and Frogs.

The Malkavians would be proud.

Thanks to Mokipi for the Exalted avatar!

For avatars of your own, he's on White Wolf.