New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default I need Homebrew Advice

So, I'm trying to make a class based off of Plague Doctors, using plague as their main ability. The class would obviously make disease effects more viable, making diseases incubate faster/instantaneously, increasing the fortitude saves, disease immunity, etc. etc.

What I need advice in is I don't know how big I should make this class (entire base class or PrC). On one hand, I was thinking of doing something along the lines of the eye of lolth with disease and not lolth as its focus, progressing both rogueish stuff and cleric stuff. Then again, the plague doctor sounds unique enough that it could be its own base class... but I'm really not sure.

...opinions?
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: I need Homebrew Advice

Quote Originally Posted by TechnOkami View Post
    So, I'm trying to make a class based off of Plague Doctors, using plague as their main ability. The class would obviously make disease effects more viable, making diseases incubate faster/instantaneously, increasing the fortitude saves, disease immunity, etc. etc.

What I need advice in is I don't know how big I should make this class (entire base class or PrC). On one hand, I was thinking of doing something along the lines of the eye of lolth with disease and not lolth as its focus, progressing both rogueish stuff and cleric stuff. Then again, the plague doctor sounds unique enough that it could be its own base class... but I'm really not sure.

...opinions?
    This sounds specific enough that I'd expect to see it as a Prestige Class, likely based off a necromancy magic base (or something similar). Likely divine, possibly arcane, or possibly both.

Alternatively, you could cut the casting requirement completely and aim for something with less restrictive entry requirements, depending on your idea. As for the length, either 5 or 10 levels seems good, based on whether or not its got a small number of abilities (5 levels) or a wider range of techniques you can use (10 levels). I'd avoid a 10 level class built around just 1-2 disease abilities, however.

Either way, it sounds a little to much of a one-trick-pony for me to really feel comfortable with it as a base class. Just my own personal opinion.
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2011-03-10 at 03:22 PM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: I need Homebrew Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_In_Tonic View Post
    This sounds specific enough that I'd expect to see it as a Prestige Class, likely based off a necromancy magic base (or something similar). Likely divine, possibly arcane, or possibly both.

Alternatively, you could cut the casting requirement completely and aim for something with less restrictive entry requirements, depending on your idea. As for the length, either 5 or 10 levels seems good, based on whether or not its got a small number of abilities (5 levels) or a wider range of techniques you can use (10 levels). I'd avoid a 10 level class built around just 1-2 disease abilities, however.

Either way, it sounds a little to much of a one-trick-pony for me to really feel comfortable with it as a base class. Just my own personal opinion.
    Yeah, a prestige class makes sense... love your name btw.
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.