New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass koala: Lets Play HOI 3, ICE mod Austr

update, May, 1938.

the Marine division has finally finished building. now, i have a counter-attack force that can reinforce threatened VPs.

Spoiler
    Show

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

In china, the frontlines are starting to stablise. the chinese are holding the japs on the line of the Yangtze (and one of its tributaries, buti can't figure out which), while the japs are losing ground in the south, their orignal landing sites near hong kong now overrun.

Spoiler
    Show

In spain, the republicans are still holding out, but thier perimiter has shrunk and it is still only a matter of time before they lose their last few VP's at valencia and bacelona

Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Storm Bringer; 2011-03-20 at 11:57 AM.
    Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Tommy, 'ow's yer soul? "
    But it's " Thin red line of 'eroes " when the drums begin to roll
    The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
    O it's " Thin red line of 'eroes, " when the drums begin to roll.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

2. - Top - End - #32

Default Re: cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass koala: Lets Play HOI 3, ICE mod Austr

update august, 1938:

the chinese have cleared thier costlines as far as Shanghai, but lost a few provinces in ther centre. however, they are holding well, and have retaken more ground than they have lost. it's clear the japs are finding it hard to push the chinese out of the rougher southern chinese terrain. form my point of view, this is good, as i hope the war will drag on enough that the japs won't have the men to atttack me. the US is still sitting high and dry with a wopping 99% neutrality, so i doubt they will join the battle.

Spoiler
    Show

edit:

October 4th, 1938.

the chinese counterattack has pushed the japs back form the lower reaches of the Yangtze, and almost cleared them some breathing space around nanjing, for the first time since the war began. while my pic record doesn't show it, the japs held the entire north back of the yangtze at thier greatest extent, plus a salient along the east bank of that lake.

Spoiler
    Show

I honestly didn't think the nationlists had it in them to push the japs back like that. I'd basically written them off as "going down, sooner rather than later", but it seems that the japanese have bit off more than they can chew.

october 11th, 1938

finally, after 2 years of pushing, my neutrality has dropped enough that i can start to moblise my economy, and thus get more IC!
    Spoiler
    Show

full civve economy gives you a -30% to IC. basic, as you can see, gives you a -15%. due to a combination of ministers and techs, i get a +20% bonus to IC, so the net effect is i am 5% up on my "base" ic of 26 (which translates as just a single IC point. but still, better than nothing).

24th october 1938:

In other news, Generalíssimo Francisco Franco has not only failed to beat the republicans, but has lost a large amount of ground to major offenseives all along the front!

Spoiler
    Show

this is really a suprise to me. if the chinese are going down, the republicans had lost, and just didn't want to admit it. but, it seems like they have some fight left in them (either that, or a major help event fired and they just got a buttload of forign aid form someone).
    Last edited by Storm Bringer; 2011-03-20 at 02:30 PM.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

What on earth is happening in Spain! It's possible Britain France and the USSR all sent aid, and perhaps Italy and Germany didn't...
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

4. - Top - End - #34

november 1938:

oh
    my
    god.

the chinese offensive has reached the Yellow river. japanese forces in central china have been cut off and surrounded.
    Spoiler
    Show

in spain, the republicans are cleaning shop. thier forces have reached the gates of mardrid, and their position is the best it has been since 1936.
    Spoiler
    Show

their must have been a forgin aid event or something. i can't think of what else could have cuased such a huge change in the republicans fortunes.

edit: the republicans have taken madrid.

Spoiler
    Show

ten days later, the front line has reached the nationalist capital.

Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Storm Bringer; 2011-03-20 at 03:01 PM.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

5. - Top - End - #35

New Years Day, 1939.

in Europe, the republicans have pushed the nationalist back to the heartlands, with thier capital under siege and the better part of 2/3rds of spain under republican control.

Spoiler
    Show

the chinese have pushed the japanese back massivly, in what can only be called a rout. two pockets have been formed, and are slowly being ground down. japanese troops are still at the gates of nanjing, but Chang kei shek can rest easy in the knoweledge that he has the upper hand for the moment.

Spoiler
    Show

at home, i now have 7 garrison divs strung out across the solomans, plus the marines to form a QRF. the two extra divs were placed to cover harbours that form which a japanese force could advance overland to a VP form.

I've placed the motorised and cavalry divs under the the same corps command as the marines, to form my ready reserves, based in Sindey, where the main element of my fleet is based (still 2CA and 4 CL, i'm afriad. unlikey to be able to improve that before the war starts, even if i could spare the IC.) My Airforce is due to start recieving multi role fighters later this year ('39), which will be a big boost. I'm be basing them out of the airports in the solomans, with the intent to both bomb any invaders and to keep japanese CAGs off my back (CAG: Carrier Air Group. I hope i'm far enough away form the japanese islands that they can't bring ground based aircraft to play, so all i have to deal with is thier carrier based planes. having done a rough mesurement, i am pretty sure that his tac bombers won't have range, and his interceptors definatly will not. that should mean i will be able to contest, or maybe even gain, air superority over the solomans.)

Spoiler
    Show

edit:

12th march, 1937

the republicans have won the Civil war. what a comeback.

Spoiler
    Show

in china, the japanese have been pushed back almost to thier start lines in Manchukuo.

Spoiler
    Show

honestly, i kinda want them to slow down a little and keep the japs tied up longer. at this rate they will overrun Manchukuo and Korea, then the japs will be left to twiddle thier thumbs and seek new lands to replace their lost territories (ie me)
    Last edited by Storm Bringer; 2011-03-20 at 04:03 PM.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

6. - Top - End - #36

march 20th, 1939.

Czechoslovakia was annexed 5 days ago. the french don't take it well.

Spoiler
    Show

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

7. - Top - End - #37

august 1939.

the chinese have retaken Manchukuo and Korea, a peace event has fired and the damm japs are no longer at war! form my point of view, a very bad outcome. the japs are now free to concentrate on me and the rest of the pacific, so i am, quite simply. gonna be facing the full might of the Imperial japanese armed forces.

Spoiler
    Show

europe is quiet at the moment, but all hell is gonna break loose soon thier. as soon as germany moblises, I will, as well. hopfully,, japan is still busy in the post china re-org (esp. since it's been defeated, and hopefully lost at least some of it's land forces.) to bother me for just a little while longer.

1st september, 1939:

the germans have decleared war on poland and the United Kingdom. the UK has called the whole of the Allies to helo them.

the Second World War has begun, right on time.

Spoiler
    Show

as part of this event, my neutrality has dropped about 20% form 63% to 42%. i am now in a position to impose a 3 year conscription, and will be able to switch to a war economy within a year at the most.

of course, i am moblising, as well as changing my build queue.

the german declearation of war (DOW) is a limited one, which is a special trick the Axis gets in HOI, which lets them start a war without forcing the rest of the axis into it. Japan and italy are not yet invloved in the war, dispite being axis powers. this is good, as it means that the japs aren't about to start knocking on my door just yet, but germany is perfectly able to take poland, france, and the Low Countries on its own.

17th september, 1939.

the soviets join the party, attacking poland as the Nazi Soviet pact kicks in.
    Spoiler
    Show

4th october, 1939.

Citizens of Australia,

this morning, we recieved a message form the goverment of the United Kingdom, calling upon us and all other members of the Commonwealth to help the Mother Country in it's struggle agianst the forces of the Axis. After due deliberation, with my cabinet, and my military advisors, I have decided to answer this call.

acorrdingly, as of midday, sidney time, this country is at war.

Spoiler
    Show

it's on.

as a side effect of going to war, i've been able to pass a raft of new legislations which will boost my productivity no end.
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Storm Bringer; 2011-03-21 at 04:03 PM.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

8. - Top - End - #38
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Was the spy from New Zealand disguised as a sheep?

And why is NZ spying on you anyways?

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Was the spy from New Zealand disguised as a sheep?

And why is NZ spying on you anyways?
    They want kangaroos. They are willing to trade extra sheep.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    They want kangaroos. They are willing to trade extra sheep.
    More like wood for sheep.

11. - Top - End - #41

More like wood for sheep.
    "I GOT WOOD FOR SHEEP."
    "Gwyn..."
    "What? Oh. Um. Oops."

AHEM. You might still have a couple of years before war with Japan, so you may yet have breathing space.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm considering purchasing a HOI title. Any suggestions, would people generally agree that III is the best, or did it fall short of its predecessors?

And hell, I might as well derail a little further whilst waiting for an update - Wargames. I loved the hell out of Panzer General II. Are there any 2006+ titles that anyone would recommend?

Edit: Somehow, recent in my mind in 2006. Awesome.
    Last edited by psilontech; 2011-03-22 at 11:51 PM.
    Master of Orion II: Let's Play! Of Klackons and Gnolams

"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

13. - Top - End - #43

Generally, people on the Paradox forums consider HOI2+expansions to be better than HOI3+expansions. I can't really say anything on that, never having played HOI2, but HOI3 is a great fun game, I would recommend it.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

14. - Top - End - #44

I'd agree that HOI3 is, in my opinion, better. the division builder feature is awesome (and not in HOI2), the map is prettier, and Ai command system means you can delegate as much of the mircomanagement as you like (i've not been using it, but you can put pretty much any echelon of command under AI control, set it a goal ("Take istanbul", "Defend cario", etc) and it will do alright. it's great for secondry theatres where you can't be arsed to mircomanage them)

anyway, Update, New years day, 1940

The poland fell, but they fight on. The germans are sat behind the Siegfriedstellung, and the french behind the Ligne Maginot.

a few assiue convoys have been lost to U-boats, but the german light units are taking a pounding. so far, in the last 4 months, the germans have lost 8 U-boat flotillas, 4 destoryer flotillas, and 2 TB flotillas.

Spoiler
    Show

note how many of those flotillas were killed by carriers, or more specifically thier CAGs.

the other axis powers are still sitting this out so far, so the Phoney war is pretty much the staring match it was in history at the moment.

edit: 8th april, 1940

the germans finally make a move, starting thier conquest of denmark and Norway.
    Spoiler
    Show

denmark fell within 10 days. norway is untouched so far, but the germans may try a amphib attack.

edit edit:
    11th may 1940:
    fall gelb has started.
    Spoiler
    Show

the words "Pete Tong" come to mind.....

Spoiler
    Show

the low counties were not mobilised, so their getting steamrolled.
    Last edited by Storm Bringer; 2011-03-23 at 03:57 PM.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

15. - Top - End - #45

13th June, 1940:

the germans have overrun most of the netherlands, and belgium is not much better off. french forces have rushed to try and stem the tide, but the Wehrmacht is grinding forwards relentlessly. (unlike the historical german army, the HOI3 AI isn't capable of launching deep penetration blitzkriegs and encriclements, but only of grinding forewards along the whole front.).

Spoiler
    Show

for those who aren't familiar with NATO unit symbols, the counters with the the "X" in the white rectangle are Infantry units. the ones with the oval are armoured, the checkquer boxes are HQ formations. the number of little "x" along the top represent the units echelon in the chain of command. the more, the higher, quite simply. the counters are coloured accordding to the owners colours (i.e. french are blue, the germans are grey, the belgians are yellow, etc).

the grey terrian with the diagonal stripes is conquored lands held by germany.

also, most of those provinces hold a lot more formations than can be seen on that shot. several devisions are in most of provinces along the front.

edit:

the germans make thier move into france, crossing the frontier betweem sedan and Metz. it appears a huge air battle is going on over the spearhead, with over a thousand planes involved in what must be The Mother of All Dogfights.
    Spoiler
    Show

edit: that 10 stack of interceptors is, it turns out, entierly german. the bombers were rather outmatched french bombers. talk about a beat stick, even with the huge stacking penalties, it'd be a bitch to fight.
    Last edited by Storm Bringer; 2011-03-24 at 02:55 PM.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

16. - Top - End - #46

10 intercepter squadrons? That's getting to the point where you can just fire a machine gun in the sky and be fairly sure of getting a hit.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So at what rate does the game progress? I thought this was a turn-based game and yet there doesn't seem to be a consistent skip in days between turns... does it cover smaller units of time when armies are in conflict and larger units of time when there's no active fighting between forces?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    So at what rate does the game progress? I thought this was a turn-based game and yet there doesn't seem to be a consistent skip in days between turns... does it cover smaller units of time when armies are in conflict and larger units of time when there's no active fighting between forces?
    It's pausable real-time (at least in HOI2).
    *Splendid Goatatar by that cool kid Serpentine
    "Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world"

19. - Top - End - #49

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    So at what rate does the game progress? I thought this was a turn-based game and yet there doesn't seem to be a consistent skip in days between turns...
    hoi3 is, as Klose says, puaseable real time. the game advances in increments of an hour every few seconds at it's slowest setting, but you can speed it up to a day per second (roughly). you can pause at any time, just by hitting the space bar.

does it cover smaller units of time when armies are in conflict and larger units of time when there's no active fighting between forces?
    in practice, yes, becuase you tend to speed things up when not at war, simply because nothing is happening on a hourly basis.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

20. - Top - End - #50

I think it's a great system, because it really allows you to play at your own speed. It combines the great parts of turn based with the great parts of real time.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

21. - Top - End - #51

august 23rd, 1940.

paris has fallen.

Spoiler
    Show

i would make more of this, but really, saying the germans conquored france in HOI is like saying water is wet. it's pretty much expected.

Spoiler
    Show

promted by the fall of paris, the UK expands the war to include Italy, but not on japan (I expect the japs to kick off either shortly, or after the germans attack russia).

8th september 1940:

france surrenders:

Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Storm Bringer; 2011-03-27 at 10:13 AM.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

22. - Top - End - #52

So, will anyone ever declare a non-limited war?

And how does Vichy France annex itself, anyways?

23. - Top - End - #53

So, will anyone ever declare a non-limited war?

And how does Vichy France annex itself, anyways?
    both of those are event driven decisions, i think. "limited" war means that the attackers allies are not required to join in on the attackers side (and therefore get a share of the spoils). normally it's somthing only the Axis powers can do (it's the freebie the axis get for being axis)

ok, quick question to those knoweldgeable about this game: when supplies are sent "into network", WTF does that mean? I am losing like 143 suppiles a day into network, but only using about 50 for units. I'm currently pumping double the amount of IC am i supposed to need and still in the red for supplies.

edit: it's sorted itself out. I think it was becuase i was reclaiming a unit given to the UK in a decision (which i decided i would rather have myself). the loss was form trying to supply a unit in egypt form aussie.
    Last edited by Storm Bringer; 2011-03-27 at 11:39 AM.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

24. - Top - End - #54

new years day 1941.

germany controls europe form the Pyrenees to Königsberg.

Spoiler
    Show

the war in africa is going our way. italian east africa is mostly under allied control.

Spoiler
    Show

on the north african coast, the brits have pushed forward as far as Tobruk.
    Spoiler
    Show

at home, a series of 4 events has fired over the last year, each granting me a single division of 3 infantry Bdes and 1 arty bde. thus, i now have a 40,000 man reserve of front line quality troops, just waiting for the japs to try something.

Spoiler
    Show

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

25. - Top - End - #55

Why wait? Declare war on them first! Or is your neutrality still too high for a war declaration?

26. - Top - End - #56

You should annex some of your neighbours, like New Zealand.

And yeah, with Japan wounded from their invasion of China this is a great time to blitz them with your 40,000 mans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

27. - Top - End - #57

see, while i have a unexpected boost form the event given divs, they are not, man for man, any better than jap troops, and japs have more, PLUS the largest fleet of the axis powers, (and i think the 3rd largest in the game after the US and UK).

In the coming war with japan, what's going to be the clincher is who can supply their forces during the Island Hopping. attacking will put my convoys at the mercy of jap light forces, and i will need to take and hold many islands,

You should annex some of your neighbours, like New Zealand.

And yeah, with Japan wounded from their invasion of China this is a great time to blitz them with your 40,000 mans.
    now, when i play using a neutrality cheat, i often do just that. however, without cheating, thier is no way i can make new zealand threatening enough to start the war. and now they are in the Aliies and I can't touch them anymore.

also, while 40,000 men SOUNDS like a lot (and is), this is a game where effective armies are in the hundreds of thousands. i have 140,000 men, only 70,000 of them 1st line quality (due in part to my own choices). My navy is still very small (it would take years to expand it much. a CA would take me over 2 years at this point. if i'd known about the extra divs form the events, i wouldn't have pushed out all those garrisons so much.)

also, the loss of korea happened 12-18 months ago by now. the japs are going to have recovered by now. frankly, form my POV, the loss of korea is a bad thing. I want the japs looking westwards into china, not southeast at me. without any Asian holdings to tie up troops in land wars thier, they, and thier AI is free to point all it's assets at me.

edit: it turns out that the whole debate is moot anyway, as dispite having a neutrality of around 40%, it is still too high to be the aggressor. it would need to be about 10%.

edit edit:
    2nd april, 1941
    in a late april fools joke, the USA tells the world it want to help us.

Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Storm Bringer; 2011-03-27 at 02:51 PM.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

28. - Top - End - #58

How do you know they won't try to take China again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

29. - Top - End - #59

cos i honestly think they would have started it if they were going to try it.

besides, the chinese kicked thier asses in '39. now its 41 and the chinese have had two whole years to improve thier defences, build new units.

edit: that event from the US has just given me a freaking 1 armoured/2 motorised div.

I HAVE TANKS!

speaking of late april fools, the kingdom of Iraq just came out and said "oh yhea, we like hitler."

Spoiler
    Show

now, that is a real balls ache. Iraq will likey get it's arse kicked pretty shortly, but is persia goes Axis (which is looking very likey), then the suez is gonna fall, if not yet, then when the germans kick stalins arse (and they will). they will open up a land route via georgia, liberate axie persia (if it falls, then drive on to cairo and catcutta. i've seen it before (help do it before, in fact, as Romania).

edit:

told ya. the mid east is a gonna.
    Spoiler
    Show

edit edit:

speaking of gonnas:
    Spoiler
    Show

that's a curb stomp and a half. the yugoslavic army is facing an almost completly hostile border. talk about screwed.
    Last edited by Storm Bringer; 2011-03-27 at 03:35 PM.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

30. - Top - End - #60

No kidding! Only the Italians aren't destroying them. Poor Yugoslavia...

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.