New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default what alignment would this character be

His actions are mostly chaotic good. However, if his sister is injured or otherwise put in danger, which happens more often than it should due to certain circumstances, he will go to any lengths to rescue and/or avenge her. And I do mean any.

No idea what to put as his alignment.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: what alignment would this character be

From the limited information given? Chaotic Neutral.

If your DM allows you to change alignments due to circumstance, then Chaotic Good to Chaotic Neutral, no promises though.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

It depends.

He'd probably be CG at first, but if he did enough horrible things to protect his sister in a short enough time he'd start to slip.

If you'd describe the character's alignment as "if, but..." you should probably go with the first, but explain it to your DM so that they don't think you're being out of character when your CG guy suddenly starts doing CE things.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

What alignment is the sister? Generally loyalty without regard to morality is a LN or LE trait imo, but there are too many variables to say for sure.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Well, before any other word, that's a typical example of why the simplicity of the alignment system is basically fine for many situations, but actually fails to represent any actual intelligent creature convincingly.

Q:Would that character torture someone to obtain information related to his kidnapped sister? (as an example)
    A: Yes he would, since he would go at any length. So, he is not good.

Another mor extreme example:

Q: If the ONLY way to avenge the death of his sister, was to press a button that destroys the entire planet where the agressor resides, would he do it?
    A: Any length, means ANY length. Certianly not good.

So, he is neutral or evil.

Since you say he is chaotic, we assume that he would gladly ignore any lawful behavior to atend to his sister, which confirms that he is indeed chaotic.

Chaotic Nutral, or Chaotic Evil?

Quoted from Wikipedia:

Chaotic Evil is referred to as the "Destroyer" or "Demonic" alignment. Characters of this alignment tend to have no respect for rules, other people's lives, or anything but their own desires, which are typically selfish and cruel.

Chaotic Neutral is called the "Anarchist" or "Free Spirit" alignment. A character of this alignment is an individualist who follows his or her own heart, and generally shirks rules and traditions.

I wouldn't describe his devotion to his sister as "cruel" or "selfish", thus I believe that the proper alignment is "Chaotic Neutral".

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I tend to allow a good/lawful character 1 berzerk button that will not cause alignment slippage. If I was GMing he would be CG with Berzerk Button: Sister. Besides an evil character isn't any less evil if he saves puppies as opposed to kicking them. So evil characters are allowed 1 soft spot. Is this unfair?
    My homebrew
    Official spokesman of the totemist class for gestalt (and proud supporter of parenthetical asides (especially nested ones)). Author of a gestalt handbook
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Did you just put a gear shift on a lightsaber?
    Redneck laser swords only work in manual.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Probably Chaotic Neutral.

A lot would depend on his approach towards saving his sister. When the sister is threatened, does he *immediately* switch to doing evil things to save her if they're the most convenient? Or does he still avoid doing evil acts unless they're absolutely necessary, and all other options have been explored?

I believe that Good characters can perform Evil acts. Stealing to feed your family is Evil, as it's taking the property of others (presuming that they acquired the bread legitimately). But it's something that most Good people would do, if all other options had been explored.

The difference is that a Good character will do so as a last resort, and feel grief over their actions. An Evil character will steal right from the beginning, if it's the most convenient path, and will feel no remorse about it whatsoever.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

If your DM is open to a quasi-malleable alignment system, then I'd say CG until they crossed the "line" for the cause of their sister one too many times. Sure, as your DM I'd give you a by the first time or so, and if you were acceptably remorseful/guilty/repentant after, but too many times, and you're punted to CN, then maybe even CE eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    That does not change the fact that were his proportions normalized, I would invite him into my magnificent mansion anytime. With Extend Metamagic.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

In response to kyoryu, his approach to rescue would probably be as Good as possible without putting her in more danger or being excessively slow. His approach to vengeance would depend on the situation, anywhere from beating him to near-death to killing him, killing anyone who helped and storming the gates of Hell with the intention of harming them more. Obviously, it usually wouldn't get that far, especially since he would never risk his sister being hurt while he's gone, but if it was that serious and he could ensure his sister's safety...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

It depends on how often is "more often than it should" and what he actually does when the sister is in danger. Being prepared to do something(well, thinking that you are, anyway) and doing it are two different things, I'd say.

If he is actually faced with difficult moral choices and choses to do evil for his goal enough, then alignment should follow, I'd say. If he does an evil act rarely, when his sister is in danger, then feels awful about it and goes to great lengths to atone for the evil he did, then I'd say he's still chaotic good.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Simon Tam.

Well it SHOULD be an official alignment!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeadManSleeping View Post
    Simon Tam.

Well it SHOULD be an official alignment!
    It is official. All alignment systems are replaced by Simon, River, Malcolm, Jayne, Inara, Kaylee, Wash, Zoe, Book and River's feet.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    It is official. All alignment systems are replaced by Simon, River, Malcolm, Jayne, Inara, Kaylee, Wash, Zoe, Book and River's feet.
    There's also Book's Hair. It's there, waiting.