Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default All Inside Out (thought excersize)

This is not nessesarily a completed idea. Just a... thought exercise.

What would happen to a world centered around something with reversed gravity?

Spoiler
    Show
    Say, a god made some sort of huge mass that repelled everything, instead of attracted it. As a side effect, it pumped out light, as well as pushed stuff away (so, it's the local "sun"), so he slaps a shell of whatever super-material gods use at the time, to shield the light.
    The gravity pushes enough for one side to partially fail, putting it full of holes, although it remains in place. This is how Day/night happens: the side with holes for day, the side without for night.
    The god then loses interest, moves onto another project. Two more gods, probably rival gods of the seas for their respective world(s), are duking it out, throwing MASSIVE orbs of water at each other. Two collide, right where the first god left his abandoned project. The gravity of the water is so great, that it is held together by it's own weight, despite the push of the object at the center.
    This HUGE layer of water is now thick enough to keep any and all gods interested away from the object now in the center. Now, because the gravity inside is pushing more out than in, air bubbles form, and create an atmosphere inside. Now, outside the water, an atmosphere could form, too, but that's not the idea. We are now interested with the inside.
    (floating) Islands (and continents) form from whatever, life evolves on the inside. No one cares about gods or demons, devils or cthulic beings, or any sort of outsider, nor the fates of their souls. Eventually, gods take interest in WHAT could be in there. They can see a bubble inside the giant water sphere, and light coming out, but cannot get inside. One of them (another of the seas) gets a bright idea, creates a whirlpool in the water's surface. It only get's so deep, not all the way to where gravity reverses from IN to OUT. But it IS drawing water from the surface, and dragging it approximately to that point.
    He dives down deep as he can go that way, until, finally, he reaches a point where he can make a second whirlpool, dragging to where he is, except outward. FINALLY, the gods have access to this world, through a tunnel of air, pumping water into the "center" of the world.

The discover sentient races, but none like humans. Humanoids, yes, but none like humans. In their infinite "wisdom", they transform these races to reflect what they'd made before, but could not convert them all.
    Through the hole, outsiders of all sorts came, eager for the souls from this new world.

The basic idea is, giant sphere in middle, one half dark, the other light.
    Gravity is outwards, instead of inwards, and the world surrounds the sphere entirely.
    The world itself is made of a giant ocean, so large that it kept the gods out long enough for life to form on it's own, on the giant floating islands and continents.
    There ARE gods, but they only "recently" got in. No-one but the most ancient & senile of immortals remembers anything about the godless times, but this means that there are more "unique" races to this world.
    There is a giant whirlpool, or maelstrom, through which all outsiders have to come, so traffic to other worlds is very limited.
    There are "stars" at night, but that's caused by the "sun" reflecting off the waves of the other side of the world's waves, so they tend to shift very quickly.

So, inside out world, we all live on the inside. The world curves "up", not "down", and so the "horizon" is defined differently.

Thoughts? ideas? I don't actually intend to do much with this myself, but it's an idea you guys can use.
    Last edited by flabort; 2011-03-18 at 10:06 PM.
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Extended Signature
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: All Inside Out (though excersize)

Well, they might develop some sort of transportation system of pulleys between major populated areas? Think pulleys or elevators along chords.

Also, I'd think that a day-night cycle would be kind of scattered, since it's arbitrary holes punched in the light-shield by antigravity, not just a hovering half-sphere. Also, since Night is formed by an actual object blocking the light, maybe "gravity" would be lower in the night? If the "sun" produces no heat, maybe there's a small group of people living on the inside of the shield.

There could be a spectator sport based on grappling-hooking special spots attached to the sun-shield, or cities hanging from it. Powerful mages might have hanging fortresses instead of towers - always a new view!

Also, it's spelled "Thought Exercise" .

You might want to check out Larry Niven's Ringworld for stuff about day-night. For example, there's unlikely to be any twilight at dawn or dusk, just a sharp-edged shadow roving across the land.

Seems really interesting, I'm subscribing.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2011-03-18 at 06:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: All Inside Out (though excersize)

Hey, I'm sick and tired . You can forgive me for a spelling error, right?

About the Ringworld: Is that avalible as a free e-book anywhere? Can't afford to buy any books . And too much of a lazy **** to look it up myself.

Hanging forts? Cool, hadn't thought of that.
    Chord transport? Yeah, that may work. Although "zip lining" wouldn't work, because you'd be fighting gravity half-ways, as if going up hill. Pulleys would work, though.

I'll go fix that title.

Extended Signature
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: All Inside Out (thought excersize)

The Night Sphere. How does it stay situated? One side is essentially heavier than the other, and should cause the night sphere to slide in that direction, possibly slamming into the day sphere.

Depends on how strong of a gravity well hill the central sphere has, but the fact remains that it would at least have a very noticeable wobble.

Heat dissipation. Does this "sun" emit thermal energy? If it does, trapping all of that in a shell of water would turn your campaign setting into a giant crockpot.

If not, your world is instead a freezer, with a cold, lifeless sphere of ice illuminated by a frigid inner light.

Which sounds like it may make an interesting alternative for the World of the Dead or some alternate plane, "The World that Could Have Been."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Almost everything in Ringworld is unrelated to this, though you could probably find it at a library. The essence of it is that there's a world built on the inside of a ring, with the sun in the middle, gravity provided by centrifugal force. Day and night are provided by a few rectangles tied together in a loop, orbiting the sun in a smaller orbit.

My point was that if day and night are caused by an obsruction as opposed to the sun being on the other side of the world, there would be much less twilight.

To fix the problem of an overbalanced sun-sheild, make it that the antigravity punched holes in it randomly but evenly, instead of eliminating half and leaving the other half intact. That way, weight is evenly distributed.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma Kode View Post
    The Night Sphere. How does it stay situated? One side is essentially heavier than the other, and should cause the night sphere to slide in that direction, possibly slamming into the day sphere.

Depends on how strong of a gravity well hill the central sphere has, but the fact remains that it would at least have a very noticeable wobble.
    Hmm. How do you get "essentially heavier"?
    I get "equal mass, extra surface area". Pushed out, but not broken.

But I do see your point. Yes, the sphere could wobble. It could be VERY noticeable. This would make building a hanging tower on it very... nauseating.

Heat dissipation. Does this "sun" emit thermal energy? If it does, trapping all of that in a shell of water would turn your campaign setting into a giant crockpot.

If not, your world is instead a freezer, with a cold, lifeless sphere of ice illuminated by a frigid inner light.

Which sounds like it may make an interesting alternative for the World of the Dead or some alternate plane, "The World that Could Have Been."
    Well, Ideas and facts like this is why this idea has been brought to the playground. To figure out problems, to solve them, and to come up with more ideas.
    I'd assume the "sun" does emit thermal energy, but weakly. The giant ocean shell, which is the source of our "crockpot" problem, could be our solution. "Heat sink". There is for sure the giant God-highway whirlpool, there could be so many more giant currents, which take heat from the Inside world, and transfer heat out into the space out to the nearby worlds.

This would still leave the world very hot, and humid. Desert heat, but rainfall like... very very wet.

Any other ideas, alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by master256 View Post
    Almost everything in Ringworld is unrelated to this, though you could probably find it at a library. The essence of it is that there's a world built on the inside of a ring, with the sun in the middle, gravity provided by centrifugal force. Day and night are provided by a few rectangles tied together in a loop, orbiting the sun in a smaller orbit.

My point was that if day and night are caused by an obsruction as opposed to the sun being on the other side of the world, there would be much less twilight.
    Alright. seems interesting. I'll see if I can find it. And I'm sure it doesn't have the overhot/cold problem Kuma mentioned, not being a full sphere., but It does seem relevant. Thanks.

Keep the ideas rolling.

Extended Signature
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    Hmm. How do you get "essentially heavier"?
    I get "equal mass, extra surface area". Pushed out, but not broken.
    I appologize, I read the holes being punched out as actually having pieces missing, not just warped and curled out. That wouldn't make it heavier on any particular side but it would cause a slight shift in its center of mass.

Well, Ideas and facts like this is why this idea has been brought to the playground. To figure out problems, to solve them, and to come up with more ideas.
    That's what we're here for.

I'd assume the "sun" does emit thermal energy, but weakly. The giant ocean shell, which is the source of our "crockpot" problem, could be our solution. "Heat sink". There is for sure the giant God-highway whirlpool, there could be so many more giant currents, which take heat from the Inside world, and transfer heat out into the space out to the nearby worlds.
    That would work, having the water act as a sort of blanket and help retain heat. That would normally be too low. Eventually the heat loss/heat gain would balance out.