1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Armadillos! (PEACH)

Quote Originally Posted by Lhurgyof View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Should work now, that's a pangolin.

Also, some pangolin stats would rock.
    Sure, I'll just have to do some research, first.

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    Those Pink Fairy Armadillos could seriously mess up a commoner. 23 AC means that no one will hit them, +12 means that they will probably always hit, and the fact that they deal at least one damage on every attack means that they will be knocking a commoner unconscious in two blows, with the commoner unable to do anything. Seriously. They are worse than house cats.
    It's even worse when you realize they attack in swarms.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    I meant an AC Bonus to the caster as its familiar ability LOTR
    Don't worry, I know what you meant.

Quote Originally Posted by neilthrun View Post
    Huh, I'm no armadillo expert, but most armadillo's I've seen would be small creatures. Which makes me think Dire Armadillos should be at least medium.
    Really? Most are just under three feet long, which would be tiny. If you don't mind me asking, which region of the world do you live in?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Halfling in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by LOTRfan View Post
    Really? Most are just under three feet long, which would be tiny. If you don't mind me asking, which region of the world do you live in?

I don't live anywhere with Armadillos, Ive only seen them in zoos. Now that I think of it, its been a long time since I've seen one. Perhaps they seemed bigger when i was a kid.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Most species of armadillos are actually Small sized (2-4ft, 8-60lbs). The nine-banded armadillo (~1.5ft, ~17lbs and the only U.S. species), for example, is a fairly typical armadillo in size and behavior. The three-banded armadillos (two species averaging ~1.25ft, ~3lbs) are atypical in both size and behavior; first in that they would be considered Tiny (1-2ft, 1-8lbs), second in that they are the only "balling" armadillos in the world.

Dire armadillos seem to be based off of the giant armadillo (which the example picture represents), which is the largest species and at the high end of the Small size category; giant armadillos average around 3ft and 60lbs, but have been reported at ~4ft and ~150lbs. I suggest having a progression for them in the Advancement entry like that found in many other Animals, allowing them to reach Medium size at 4HD.

Also of note is the Fine (<6 inches, <2 ounces) Pink Fairy Armadillo, though that was mentioned previously.

Biology is sort of a hobby of mine. All of that being said, keep up the good work, LotRFan. I've been following your dinosaurs for a while now, and I like what I see there as well as here. Good job.
    Last edited by Lyndworm; 2011-03-21 at 02:10 PM.
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Perhaps the pink fairy armadillo familiar should offer the master immunity to swarms' Nauseate ability, probably with some other anti-swarm and/or anti-insect bonuses? Highly specialized, but very useful in the right situations.
    Brewing a new setting (3.5 ed D&D). The setting is complete and ready to play.
    Indeed, here is the recruitment thread for the first run.
    The above post was probably snide, snippy, tongue in cheek and/or opinionated. Consult your sense of humour before vexation. If still vexed, attempt to cease giving a damn. Thank you for reading this public service bulletin.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by neilthrun View Post
    I don't live anywhere with Armadillos, Ive only seen them in zoos. Now that I think of it, its been a long time since I've seen one. Perhaps they seemed bigger when i was a kid.
    Alright. As mentioned below, you probably are correct in the assumption that most are small creatures, but the one I based the stats on are small. I'll be sure to add in a medium advancement for Dire Armadillos.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndworm View Post
    Most species of armadillos are actually Small sized (2-4ft, 8-60lbs). The nine-banded armadillo (~1.5ft, ~17lbs and the only U.S. species), for example, is a fairly typical armadillo in size and behavior. The three-banded armadillos (two species averaging ~1.25ft, ~3lbs) are atypical in both size and behavior; first in that they would be considered Tiny (1-2ft, 1-8lbs), second in that they are the only "balling" armadillos in the world.
    You are correct, and I modeled the stats after the three-banded ones (even if I used a different picture).

Dire armadillos seem to be based off of the giant armadillo (which the example picture represents), which is the largest species and at the high end of the Small size category; giant armadillos average around 3ft and 60lbs, but have been reported at ~4ft and ~150lbs. I suggest having a progression for them in the Advancement entry like that found in many other Animals, allowing them to reach Medium size at 4HD.
    Correct again. I'll be sure to include a medium advancement.

Also of note is the Fine (<6 inches, <2 ounces) Pink Fairy Armadillo, though that was mentioned previously.
    Yep, the stats for the swarm itself will be up shortly.

Biology is sort of a hobby of mine. All of that being said, keep up the good work, LotRFan. I've been following your dinosaurs for a while now, and I like what I see there as well as here. Good job.
    Thank you! Biology is a hobby of mine as well (specifically prehistoric biology, if it wasn't obvious already).

Quote Originally Posted by Icedaemon View Post
    Perhaps the pink fairy armadillo familiar should offer the master immunity to swarms' Nauseate ability, probably with some other anti-swarm and/or anti-insect bonuses? Highly specialized, but very useful in the right situations.
    I like that idea. I'll include that shortly.

Also, on a final note, Obrysii created stats for the Dire Pangolin on this site. I still intend to make the common pangolin, but I thought that his stats were pretty good and that it deserved recognition for quality (even if DR 10/Adamantine seems a little odd).
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-03-21 at 05:05 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Swarm, Pink Fairy Armadillo
    Fine Animal (Swarm)
    Hit Dice: 3d8 (13 hp)
    Initiative: +4
    Speed: 15 ft. (3 squares), burrow 5 ft.
    Armor Class: 23 (+8 size, +1 natural, +4 Dex), touch 23, flatfooted 19
    Base Attack/Grapple: +2/---
    Attack: Swarm (1d6)
    Full Attack: Swarm (1d6)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./0 ft.
    Special Attacks: Attack Swarm, Distraction
    Special Qualities: Scent, lowlight vision, light sensitivity, swarm damage immunity, swarm traits
    Saves: Fort +3, Ref +9, Will +2
    Abilities: Str 3, Dex 18, Con 11, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 10
    Skills: Listen +7, Hide +20, Spot +3
    Feats: Weapon Finesse(B), Lightning Reflexes, Alertness
    Environment: Warm Plains
    Organization: Solitary, or colony (3-5 swarms)
    Challenge Rating: 1
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always Neutral
    Advancement: -----
    Level Adjustment: -----

A huge group of small, pink animals rush forward, their small claws bared.

When frightened, large groups of pink fairy armadillos cluster together and attempt to flee from targets. Their small size make it almost impossible to kill the large mob.

Combat
    Pink Fairy Armadillos always run from threats, unless attacking swarms of small insects.

Attack Swarm (Ex): Pink Fairy Armadillos have claws specifically evolved to grasp large groups of small creatures to consume. The claws of Pink Fairy Armadillos deal normal damage to swarms composed of fine-sized creatures.

Immunity to Swarm Damage (Ex): Pink Fairy Armadillos have thickened natural armor and rough hair that is specifically designed to prevent being damage by swarms of fine size. Pink Fairy Armadillos are immune to damage from swarms made up of fine-sized creatures, and are immune to their nauseate ability.

Distraction (Ex): Any living creature that begins its turn with a swarm in its square must succeed on a DC 11 Fortitude save or be nauseated for 1 round. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Swarm Traits: Immunity to weapons damage, vulnerable to area effects, immunity to mind affecting effects, not subject to critical hits or flanking. Cannot be tripped, bull rushed, or grappled (they cannot grapple, either). Susceptible to gust of wind.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

now think if each one was a familiar
    Awesome avatar by Threeshades
    look for my community dungeon building thread http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...1#post10591561
    At least with Chaos you know where you stand which is everywhere and anywhere" Forum Explorer

"Why are you upside down?"-Ender

"who wouldn't like Belkar carrying around a head 10/10"-wxdruid

"Destruction always comes before creation. And for that goal even my conscience must be cast aside"-Lelouch Vi Britania

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

If anyone is interested, the Creature Catalog converted the Armadillephant to 3.5e.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Pangolin
    Small Animal
    Hit Dice:
    1d8 (4 hp)
    Initiative: +2
    Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), climb 10 ft.
    Armor Class: 16 (+1 size, +3 natural, +2 Dex), touch 13, flatfooted 14
    Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-6
    Attack: Claw +3 melee (1d4-2)
    Full Attack: 2 Claws +3 melee (1d4-2)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Razor Scales, Rancid Musk
    Special Qualities: Scent, lowlight vision, defensive curl
    Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +2
    Abilities: Str 6, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 1, Wis 14, Cha 11
    Skills: Climb +12, Listen +6, Spot +6, Swim +4
    Feats: Weapon Finesse(B), Alertness
    Environment: Warm Forests
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 1/3
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always Neutral
    Advancement: 2-3 HD (Small)
    Level Adjustment: -----

A small, heavily armored creature waddles across the open area, quickly running for the cover of the bushes ahead.

Pangolins are small animals related to anteaters. They are excellent climbers, and often live in dense forests. The natural armor of pangolins overlap and are razor sharp, which causes most predators to shy away from attacking them. If this isn't enough, Pangolins can spray a noxious-smelling slightly acidic liquid at enemies. Pangolins have long tongues to eat insects (some can reach lengths of 16 inches). Pangolins are about 39 inches long, and weigh 17-19 pounds.

Combat
    Pangolins prefer to curl up into a defensive ball, to better protect themselves and take advantage of their sharp scales.

Defensive Curl (Ex): As a move action, pangolins can curl themselves up into a ball. If they do not perform any actions afterwards, they gain partial cover (+4 to natural armor), and the damage dealt by their razor scales ability increases to 1d6, until their next turn

Rancid Musk (Ex): When threatened, a pangolin can spray a slightly acidic substance at attackers every 1d4 rounds. This creates noxious fumes within a single 5 ft. square (which must be adjacent to the pangolin), which lasts for 1d6 rounds. Those who walk within it must succeed on a Fortitude save (DC 10), or be nauseated while remaining inside the square and 1d4 rounds afterwards. The save DC is Constitution based.

Razor Scales (Ex): When a foe hits a pangolin with a natural or light weapon, the foe takes 1d4 damage as he scrapes himself against its scales.

Skills: Pangolins get a +2 bonus to climb and swim checks, and both are treated as Dexterity based skills.

Pangolins as Familiars/Animal Companions
    Pangolins can be chosen as familiars. The master of such a familiar gains a +3 bonus to climb checks.

Druids can chose pangolins as animal companions at 1st level, while rangers can at 4th.

Pangolin-skin Scale armor
    Scale mail made from pangolin scales have the same statistics as regular scale mail, except any creature who attacks the wearer with a light or natural weapon suffer 1d6 damage (for a medium-sized wearer). Scale mail made from pangolin scales costs an extra 10 gp.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-03-23 at 07:54 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Do with Pangolins.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

What is the skill breakdown for the Pangolin. I can't make heads or tails of it. As it is, the bonuses seem to high, when compared to the racial bonus in the description.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, the Pangolin put its skill point into spot and listen; two of each. They get a +2 bonus from their wisdom, and an additional +2 for Alertness (+6 each).

Swim, they have their racial bonus (+2) and their dexterity bonus (also +2).

Pangolins get a +8 bonus from their climb speed, a +2 racial bonus, and a +2 dex bonus.

Does that clear it up?

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LOTRfan View Post
    Does that clear it up?
    Ah, didn't account for the Climb speed. That makes sense. Everything else looks awesome.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.