New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default [pre-2000 D&D] casting unmemorised spells.

This system, which I'm going to use in my game this Friday, has two purposes:

i) To compensate for the fact that I don't give clerics a spell at first level, or give extra spells based on INT or WIS.

ii) To better emulate magic in fiction, where (usually) you can keep casting spells but it gets more and more dangerous, as opposed to 'running out'.

The Mishap Table could also be used for thieves who fail to read scrolls.

This is partly based on two articles from Fight On! magazine.

Clerics and magic-users may attempt to cast unmemorised spells. The spells must be of a level and type that they could memorise. However level 1 Clerics may attempt to do this with level 1 Cleric spells.
    To do so they first roll 1d6. The result depends on how many unmemorised spells they have cast today.

none: 1 roll on the Mishap Table 2-6 spell takes effect.

one or two: 1-2 roll on the Mishap Table 3-6 spell takes effect.

three or more: 1-3 roll on the Mishap Table 4-6 spell takes effect.

Mishap Table:
    roll 1d6

1. The spell-caster dies. However the spell takes effect.

2. The spell-caster takes Xd4 damage, where X is the level of the spell.

3. The spell-caster falls unconscious for 10 minutes times the level of the spell.

4. If the chosen spell is one that affects creatures, every PC and NPC in the area, including the caster, rolls 1d6. Any that roll a 1 are affected by this spell.

If the chosen spell is one that affects an area, it is cast on the surrounding area.

5. As for 4 above, but randomly choose a spell of the same level. 50/50 cleric/magic-user. If reversible, 50% chance of being reversed. The result can be the same as the original spell.

6. The spell's effect is reversed. If the spell is not reversible, roll again.
    Last edited by Jolly Steve; 2011-03-22 at 07:25 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: [pre-2000 D&D] casting unmemorised spells.

Having a 1/36 chance of just dying when you cast an unmemorised spell would simply be too much for me to try casting, except when cornered and about to die. And when that chance becomes 1/18 and 1/12...

I'd replace that effect with something less severe. Similarly for other effects, really - they're too likely to screw over the party, in addition to the character.
    LGBTitP

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGuy

I'm afraid I have to give a negative review also. Dying from casting a 1st level spell is just not worth it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I would suggest more reasonable penalties, like "stunned for <duration>", "blinded for <duration>", "<X> Wisdom damage", and anything on par with that.

5. - Top - End - #5

One house-rule we used back in the AD&D days was to allow magic-users to cast directly from their spell book as though they were reading from a scroll. The downside was that they lost the spell and would have to spend the time and money (and possible failure chance) to re-research it.

We didn't have a solution for Clerics; after all, when they ran out of spells, they could just pull out their maces and beat stuff up.
    JediSoth
    Fantasy/Sci-Fi Author, Gamer, Foodie
    Doctor StrangeRoll or How I learned to stop worrying and love all D&D

"The quality of our legacy is measured in the lives we touch."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, that's not a houserule. It's found in... Unearthed Arcana, I believe, although it might be in the DMG.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think this works if its intended specifically as a desperation maneuver and not everyday practice. I'd take the chance if it were that or guaranteed death through some other circumstance due to me not having the spell, but I wouldn't use it unless I was really cornered.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

The Wheel of Time d20 system has a nice little variant called "overchanneling" that sounds like it could give a bit better framework to work from.

You may way to look at that and see how yours compares and try to find something that's a bit more reasonable with regards to its penalties.

9. - Top - End - #9

SwashbucklerGuy

A version without the instant death:

Clerics and magic-users may attempt to cast unmemorised spells. The spells must be of a level and type that they could memorise. However level 1 Clerics may attempt to do this with level 1 Cleric spells.
    To do so they first roll 1d6. The result depends on how many unmemorised spells they have cast today.

none: 1 roll on the Mishap Table 2-6 spell takes effect.

one or two: 1-2 roll on the Mishap Table 3-6 spell takes effect.

three or more: 1-3 roll on the Mishap Table 4-6 spell takes effect.

Mishap Table:
    Roll 1d8.

1. The spell-caster takes Xd4 damage, where X is the level of the spell.

2. The spell-caster falls unconscious for 10 minutes times the level of the spell.

3. If the chosen spell is one that affects creatures, every PC and NPC in the area, including the caster, rolls 1d6. Any that roll a 1 are affected by this spell.

If the chosen spell is one that affects an area, it is cast on an area centered on the caster, unless the caster intended it to be. In that case it is cast on an area centered on a randomly chosen character in the vicinity other than the caster.

4. As for 3 above, but randomly choose a spell of the same level. 50/50 cleric/magic-user. If reversible, 50% chance of being reversed. The result can be the same as the original spell.

5. The spell's effect is reversed. If the spell is not reversible, roll again.

6. The caster's movement rate is halved for as many hours as the level of the spell.

7. The caster is unable to benefit from magic healing, and their natural healing is halved, for as many days as the level of the spell.

8. The entire party takes X damage, where X is the level of the spell.
    Last edited by Jolly Steve; 2011-04-07 at 12:03 PM.