Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    LOTRfan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009

    Default Shardminds! (3.5, PEACH)

    This race originally appeared in the 4e Player's Handbook III. Here, I present them as a 3.5e monstrous race.



    Shardmind
    Medium Construct (Living Construct, Psionic, Extraplanar)
    Hit Dice:
    4d10-2 (20 hp)
    Initiative: +0
    Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
    Armor Class: 16 (+2 natural, +4 chain shirt), touch 10, flatfooted 16
    Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+3
    Attack: Claw +3 melee (1d4)
    Full Attack: Claw +3 melee (1d4)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Shardmind traits, Powers, Shard form swarm
    Special Qualities: Shardmind traits, Damage Reduction 5/Bludgeoning, Vulnerability to sonic attacks
    Saves: Fort +0, Ref +1, Will +2
    Abilities: Str 11, Dex 10, Con 9, Int 12, Wis 11, Cha 12
    Skills: Autohypnosis +9, Knowledge (The Planes) +9, Knowledge (Psionics) +9, Spot +6
    Feats: Psionic Body, Open Minded
    Environment: The Astral Plane
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 4
    Treasure: Standard
    Alignment: Often Lawful Neutral
    Advancement: By character class
    Level Adjustment: +1

    A crystalline humanoid can be seen walking forward. Small bright lights pulse throughout its body, almost like blood.

    Shardminds are the fragments of the Living Gate, which once stood to keep aberrations and Daelkyr from entering the world. Even with its eternal watchfulness, some creatures managed to get through, resulting in the various aberrations that now infest the planes. Recently, however, an unknown force smashed apart the gate, sending millions of shard fragments throughout the Astral Plane. Within three weeks of the destruction of the Living Gate, a new type of creature “evolved;” the Shardminds.

    Shardminds are clusters of psionically focused crystals that have gathered together into a humanoid shape. They have learned to take on a humanoid form (the form they usually are in) to better interact with other creatures. Shardminds come in a variety of colors, including blue, green, purple, and (most commonly) red. Despite their relatively new creation, Shardminds are exceedingly wise and intelligent; it is believed that this is leftover from the collective consciousness of the Living Gate. Regardless of where exactly this innate intelligence comes from, it ensures that all Shardminds are aware of how they were created. Most still don’t know why.

    Some groups of Shardminds (referred to as Thought Builders) believe that the destruction of the Living Gate was a terrible accident, and now they must work together to rebuild it. They believe that they must gather up all Shardminds and form together again to make the Living Gate whole. Not all of these Shardminds are purely benevolent. Some are willing to torture and coerce other Shardminds into reforming the gate.

    Another group (the God Shards) believes that if the Gate is recreated, there will still be a chance that it will fall again sometime in the future. Instead, they believe that Shardminds should become as powerful as they can psionically to face the growing aberration threat in combat. These Shardminds are highly individualistic, and tend to be more chaotic than the other types.

    The final group (Shard Slayers) believes that their creation was a mistake. They believe that when a Shardmind dies, their souls form part of the Living Gate. So, they believe that in order to bring the Living Gate back to its former glory, all Shardminds must be killed. These Shardminds are obsessed with the genocide of their own race, and wander the Astral Plane in search of their latest victims. These Shardminds are often viewed as sociopaths, but many truly believe that the genocide of their race is a saddening, but necessary, task.

    Shardminds (no matter which gender they resemeble) are thin and sleek, weighing 90 pounds. Most are human height, but others may have modeled their height after other medium humanoids, like Elves or Half-Orcs. All Shardminds speak Undercommon, and most also speak Common.

    Combat
    Shardminds usually attack with their powers first. If heavily damage, they revert to their shard swarm forms to attack.

    Powers: Shardminds manifest powers as a 4th level Wilder. Typical Powers Known (power points 21; save DC 11 + power level). 1st- Crystal Shard, Energy Ray. 2nd-Swarm of Crystals. Being naturally psionic, Shardminds gain 2 bonus power points at 1st level.

    Swarm Form (Ex): Once per day, a Shardmind may break down into its base form, a swarm of animated crystalline shards. In this form, the Shardmind’s size changes to diminutive, has a space of 10 ft., and has a reach of 0 ft. The Shardmind does not have the distraction ability, but deals swarm damage as a swarm of its HD would. A Shardmind gains all other swarm traits, except a Shard swarm reduced to 0 hp becomes inert. A Shardmind can remain this form for a number of rounds equal to its Wisdom modifier before having to make concentration checks (DC 15 + number of rounds spent in swarm form) to maintain it. All items being carries by the Shardmind are dropped during the transformation. A Shardmind who is killed or knocked unconscious automatically enters the Swarm Form, even if it has expended its daily use. It does not deal swarm damage when this occurs, but it keeps all swarm immunities. Once brought back to positive hit points, the Shardmind regains its humanoid form.

    Shardmind Racial Traits
    • -2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma
    Medium Construct (Living Construct, Extraplanar): Living constructs combine aspects of both constructs and living creatures. See the Living Construct subtype for more details. As Medium creatures, Shardminds do not gain and advantages or disadvantages due to size. As natives of the Astral Plane, Shardminds gain the Extraplanar subtype when on the Material Plane.
    • +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls against Aberrations.
    Naturally Psionic: Shardminds gain 2 extra power points at 1st level. This benefit does not grant them the ability to manifest powers unless they gain that ability through another source, such as levels in a psionic class.
    Racial Levels: A Shardmind starts with four levels of Construct. This grants a BAB of +3, two racial feats, 4d10 HD, and base saves: Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +1.
    Racial Skills: Shardminds gain a number of skill points per day equal to (2 + INT mod) for each HD it has, with x4 for its 1st HD. A Shardmind's class skills are listen, spot, autohypnosis, knowledge (the planes), and knowledge (psionics).
    Powers: Shardminds can manifest powers as a 4th level Wilder would. Shardminds have a base daily allotment of 17 (not including their natural psionic power and any bonus to Charisma).
    • Two natural claw attacks (1d4)
    Swarm Form (Ex): Once per day, a Shardmind may break down into its base form, a swarm of animated crystalline shards. In this form, the Shardmind’s size changes to diminutive, has a space of 10 ft., and has a reach of 0 ft. The Shardmind does not have the distraction ability, but deals swarm damage as a swarm of its HD would. A Shardmind gains all other swarm traits, except a Shard swarm reduced to 0 hp becomes inert. A Shardmind can remain this form for a number of rounds equal to its Wisdom modifier before having to make concentration checks (DC 15 + number of rounds spent in swarm form) to maintain it. All items being carries by the Shardmind are dropped during the transformation. A Shardmind who is killed or knocked unconscious automatically enters the Swarm Form, even if it has expended its daily use. It does not deal swarm damage when this occurs, but it keeps all swarm immunities. Once brought back to positive hit points, the Shardmind regains its humanoid form.
    • Damage Reduction 5/Bludgeoning
    Vulnerability to Sonic Attacks: Shardminds, being composed of living crystal, are more vulnerable to sonic attacks than other creatures. They take 50% extra damage from such attacks. Shardminds take damage from the Shatter spell (see spell description for more details).
    Languages: Common, Undercommon. Bonus Languages: Terran, Celestia, Infernal, Abyssal.
    Favored Class: Wilder
    Level Adjustment: +1
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-03-24 at 06:05 PM.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

    Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

    Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

    Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

    Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Default Re: Shardminds! (3.5, PEACH)

    You list two different Level Adjustments. Is it +4 or +1? +1 would probably be playable, +4 probably not.

    They manifest as a Wilder, but have Psion as a favored class. This doesn't make sense. If they naturally manifest as Wilders, any shardmind who takes class levels is best served taking Wilder levels to continue its natural manifesting and keep getting level-appropriate powers instead of resetting to level 1.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    LOTRfan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009

    Default Re: Shardminds! (3.5, PEACH)

    Quote Originally Posted by Benly View Post
    You list two different Level Adjustments. Is it +4 or +1? +1 would probably be playable, +4 probably not.

    They manifest as a Wilder, but have Psion as a favored class. This doesn't make sense. If they naturally manifest as Wilders, any shardmind who takes class levels is best served taking Wilder levels to continue its natural manifesting and keep getting level-appropriate powers instead of resetting to level 1.
    Some of those are minor errors. I copy pasted from my old stats for the most part, and I must've forgot to change those.

    Level Adjustment is +4, and the favored class is Wilder.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

    Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

    Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

    Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

    Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Broken Damaged Worthless

    Default Re: Shardminds! (3.5, PEACH)

    Quote Originally Posted by LOTRfan View Post
    Some of those are minor errors. I copy pasted from my old stats for the most part, and I must've forgot to change those.

    Level Adjustment is +4, and the favored class is Wilder.
    Unplayable. LA +4 and 4 HD is HORRIFICALLY BAD. Change it back to +1, please, for the love of god. I was almost excited there for a moment.

    If you want feedback on them as a monster... eh. They're ok I guess. Swarm Form is nice, but weak, a good trade-off for the utility of becoming a swarm. They have great thematics though, gotta give 'em that.

    All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    LOTRfan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009

    Default Re: Shardminds! (3.5, PEACH)

    Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Unplayable. LA +4 and 4 HD is HORRIFICALLY BAD. Change it back to +1, please, for the love of god. I was almost excited there for a moment.
    Unfortunately, I think their ability to manifest powers as 4th level Wilders eliminate any possibility of that. These are meant more for a gestalt campaign coming up, sorry.

    I can post a link to the LA +1 version, if you want, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    If you want feedback on them as a monster... eh. They're ok I guess. Swarm Form is nice, but weak, a good trade-off for the utility of becoming a swarm. They have great thematics though, gotta give 'em that.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-03-24 at 05:18 PM.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

    Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

    Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

    Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

    Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Broken Damaged Worthless

    Default Re: Shardminds! (3.5, PEACH)

    Quote Originally Posted by LOTRfan View Post
    Unfortunately, I think their ability to manifest powers as 4th level Wilders eliminate any possibility of that. These are meant more for a gestalt campaign coming up, sorry.

    I can post a link to the LA +1 version, if you want, though.
    Uh... no it doesn't? You have FOUR HIT DICE! That's your Wilder stuff. Trust me, it is unplayably bad.

    Construct hit dice are terrible. You have four of them. Getting 3 powers for your four hit dice is barely an even trade. With LA +1, you're still worse than a level 5 Wilder.

    Really, do this following experiment. Get a level 5 wilder and a Shardmind with no levels. Have them duke it out. Watch as the Shardmind gets ravaged over and over by someone with more and better powers and class features that matter. Alternately, make them LA +4, then make a Shardmind Wilder 1 and have him adventure with a party of 9th level characters. Watch as his terrible hit dice and horrible casting fails to be important and how he can be killed ON ACCIDENT by anything.

    I understand you're making this for gestalt, but you cannot balance to that point. You must balance for standard play, what 99% of people will be using. Doing so easily proves that LA +4 is unplayably terrible. Please, for the love of all that is holy, make it LA +1. It's your creation, you have the power, please please PLEASE exercise it.

    All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    LOTRfan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009

    Default Re: Shardminds! (3.5, PEACH)

    Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Uh... no it doesn't? You have FOUR HIT DICE! That's your Wilder stuff. Trust me, it is unplayably bad.

    Construct hit dice are terrible. You have four of them. Getting 3 powers for your four hit dice is barely an even trade. With LA +1, you're still worse than a level 5 Wilder.

    Really, do this following experiment. Get a level 5 wilder and a Shardmind with no levels. Have them duke it out. Watch as the Shardmind gets ravaged over and over by someone with more and better powers and class features that matter. Alternately, make them LA +4, then make a Shardmind Wilder 1 and have him adventure with a party of 9th level characters. Watch as his terrible hit dice and horrible casting fails to be important and how he can be killed ON ACCIDENT by anything.

    I understand you're making this for gestalt, but you cannot balance to that point. You must balance for standard play, what 99% of people will be using. Doing so easily proves that LA +4 is unplayably terrible. Please, for the love of all that is holy, make it LA +1. It's your creation, you have the power, please please PLEASE exercise it.
    Alright, you've convinced me.

    I guess the Rakshasa isn't worth +7 LA as well, than?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

    Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

    Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

    Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

    Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Broken Damaged Worthless

    Default Re: Shardminds! (3.5, PEACH)

    Quote Originally Posted by LOTRfan View Post
    Alright, you've convinced me.

    I guess the Rakshasa isn't worth +7 LA as well, than?
    OH GOD NO AUUUUUUUUUGH DON'T DO THIS TO ME I'M MEEEEEEEEEELTING....

    But seriously, LA is a blight. Keep it low at all times, period.

    All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Zaydos's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Erutnevda

    Default Re: Shardminds! (3.5, PEACH)

    They manifest as wilders.

    Their favored class is wilder.

    They get +2 Int and Wis

    Also where are their feats from I don't recognize them.

    LA +1 looks about right. Shardform is neat but makes you drop items (it says carried I'm assuming that includes worn as well) which means making you lose magic item benefits, and the DR 5/bludgeoning is useful but by no means impenetrable (bite attacks deal bludgeoning damage) and the vulnerability to sonic nicely counter balances it. Just why +2 to Int and Wis and not Cha?
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

    Current Projects:

    Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

    Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

    Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    LOTRfan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009

    Default Re: Shardminds! (3.5, PEACH)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    They manifest as wilders.

    Their favored class is wilder.

    They get +2 Int and Wis

    Also where are their feats from I don't recognize them.

    LA +1 looks about right. Shardform is neat but makes you drop items (it says carried I'm assuming that includes worn as well) which means making you lose magic item benefits, and the DR 5/bludgeoning is useful but by no means impenetrable (bite attacks deal bludgeoning damage) and the vulnerability to sonic nicely counter balances it. Just why +2 to Int and Wis and not Cha?
    That is another uneditted error from the LA +1 version. If you look in the monster entry, there is indeed a +2 bonus to charisma instead of wisdom. I'll fix that, now.

    EDIT: Feats are from Expanded Psionics Handbook/SRD
    EDIT II: Oh, wait, no they are not; they are homebrewed feats on the D&D wiki.
    I switched 'em for two new ones.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-03-24 at 06:06 PM.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

    Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

    Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

    Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

    Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    radmelon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Blind Eternities
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shardminds! (3.5, PEACH)

    This would be interesting for the improved monster classes homebrew edition. Might wanna think 'bout that.
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by A Friend Of Mine
    Bloody Mess: The gift that keeps on gibbing.
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    LOTRfan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009

    Default Re: Shardminds! (3.5, PEACH)

    I've always preferred savage progressions (what can I say, I'm weird ), but you may be right. While I would be willing to allow others to make one, I don't think I'm the right person to do that sort of thing.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

    Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

    Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

    Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

    Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •